Dead car | FerrariChat

Dead car

Discussion in '348/355' started by drbob101, Jun 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Out for a ride. Car runs fine. Pull into a parking lot car totally dies. No electrical at all. No dash lights. Nothing.

I had turned off batt switch before I left and back on to reset drive cycle. I crossed the batt switch poles with a screwdriver , no good.

It's like they're s no batt installed. I can't get to the batt here now to check cables etc. AAA on they're way.

Any ideas?

2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Battery cutoff switch disconnected again.

3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Alternatior failed. I carry a plugin battery checker that plugs in lighter socket.

4. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I reswitched the batt switch and jumped it with a screwdriver. Not the batt switch.

If alt failed the car wouldn't be dead. It started and ran fine. I don't think the batt is shot. There is nothing from the batt. At all.

It's as if batt switch is off or no batt installed. I'd like to check batt cables but can't get to it out here.

5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I wouldn't cross the terminals with a screwdriver you may fry an ECU

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    What about battery cable under rear bonnett.

7. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    The batt switch switches ground.

Alls intact in the engine.

I'm thinking a batt cable came off but I didn't go over a bump or anything.

8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Could be if all back cables are solid.

9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Keep me posted I am curious.

Not too many things that would kill everything

10. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    it will be an easy diagnosis in the garage, but not out on the road.

11. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I'll get into it on another day than Fathers Day but on the way home on the flat bed after going over a bump the hazards came on. I had depressed that switch earlier. I think the most logical conclusion is a loose batt cable.

Thanks for the responses. Great AAA driver. Did a nice job.

12. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Remove your batter cables at the poles and clean them very carefully.

13. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    "I crossed the batt switch poles with a screwdriver , no good".

Assuming you did cross the battery posts with a screwdriver and there was no spark even slightly, it is an indication of a dead depleted battery. Two situations maybe the cause. 1) loose connections. Check wires connections at the terminals on the battery posts and seated. Verify continuity on the negative wire from the battery negative post to the point bonded to the car chassis. Verify continuity on the positive wire from the positive battery post to the alternator. Main battery wires rarely come loose on their own. If it was the case, the battery neither charge or discharge even in the case the connections came loose when the car is in motion. It doesn't pick and choose. And if the connections were loose prior to first start, you wouldn't be able to start the car to begin with. 2) In reference to your comment in quotations above, it sounds like a dead battery (no longer take a charge). I assume there was enough juice to start the car but depleted a short time afterward. The engine ran because the alternator was supplying electricity. The dead battery acted as an electrical staging point. Once you turn the engine off, it won't turn on again. There's always that 1% chance "strange things do happen" so my assumption of course is based on your comment. :)

Placing conductive objects between the posts of batteries is ill advise. While the electrical motor force of a 12 volt batter isn't enough to overcome the resistance of human skin to cause bodily harm, there is enough current stored inside to create sizable spark if shorted. The secondary consequence maybe fire and burns to the car and personnel nearby. This is the main caution. It won't however, damage equipments electrically. Nevertheless, never place anything conductive between the battery posts. Always use an electrical meter to verify batteries condition.

14. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I read Bob's post wrong. I see he used the screw driver to basically bypass the switch.

15. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    sounds like something simple, sorry it came home on a flatbed. I am sure you will have it fixed quickly.
    After a Fathers day get together, I took the 355 out for a very spirited drive. What a blast.

16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Battery.

If it were any other car would there even be a question?

17. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I didnt jump the batt posts, I jumped the batt switch poles just to eliminate the batt switch as the issue.

The car started after bouncing around on the flat bed on the way home. I would be surprised if it is anything but a loose battery cable connection. It was just odd in that it occurred while driving through a smoothly paved parking lot.

No way to get at the battery at that time unfortunately to check that. No harm, no foul as we all ended up home safe and sound out nothing but a tip to the AAA driver, a dad working on Father's Day.

18. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    +1. Buy a new battery. Check your alternator.

19. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Don't you just hate that sinking feeling when she either wont start or just dies?
    I cross my fingers every time I take her out.

Hopefully it is a loose cable and you don't have to go crazy trying to troubleshoot an electrical problem.

20. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    I had this before on a 911, where a battery cable did come a bit loose (made no contact to the battery post anymore apparently) on a smooth highway without potholes or bumps. So no reason at all to do it on that exact moment, as far as I could see. It just happened. Was an easy fix, 911 batteries are easy to get to.

21. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Captain Obvious, I'm sure that is exactly what the OP was looking for when he posted here for assistance, and I'm sure yours was the most helpful post.

22. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Does your car have the bullett disconnect cable that leads to the ground?

My 348 had it and it caused what you described. Might also be a lose chassis ground off that same cable.

Kai

23. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I am not aware of that on a 355 and have never seen it. That would surely be suspect if it existed.

Going to have a look at the battery later today.

24. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    Dr. Bob, so what was the exact problem assuming you fixed it. Fill us in so we don't repeat your mistake:) .

25. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    I would bet less than optimal battery or ground cable connections ....