Coolant leak | FerrariChat

Coolant leak

Discussion in '348/355' started by DavidLMcAfee, Jun 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DavidLMcAfee

DavidLMcAfee Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2015
    East TN
    Full Name:
    David McAfee
    Took my 1990 348 out for a drive today and when I got her back in the garage I noticed a lot of greenish fluid pouring from underneath it, right about where the water pump is located. Oddly, there was no steam and the fluid itself was cool to the touch, at least by the time it had come far enough out from under the car for me to touch it.

I had the water pump done in July of 2016. Ever since then, it's been making an odd noise under power. I thought it was the clutch, or perhaps a bearing going out, but could it have been something to do with the water pump?

2. DavidLMcAfee

Nov 22, 2015
    East TN
    Full Name:
    David McAfee
    #2 DavidLMcAfee, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Failed WP is possible and there is the WP seal, and some hoses right there that can leak. Then there is the valley hose and nipple that can leak and the coolant can run forward and look just like a WP leak. Bottom line is you gotta get in there and look.

4. blue90

blue90 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Grab a flashlight & look under the intake for fluid from the hose off the reservoir. It can pour down above the wp.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

5. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Easiest way to diagnose this is by pressure testing the system while it's cool, so as to make hunting for the source of the leak less unpleasant. Sometimes small leaks only show up at operating temp but this leak is big enough it shouldn't matter.

You can buy a Stant pressure tester for pretty cheap. Even Amazon has them. Some chain auto parts stores rent them as well. Very handy tool.

If there's no leak when the engine is cold either your thermostat or water pump impeller failed and the pressure built up by the overheated block caused coolant to be pushed out of the overflow. Let's keep our fingers crossed in hope that's not what happened.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

6. DavidLMcAfee

Nov 22, 2015
    East TN
    Full Name:
    David McAfee
    Wouldn't the coolant have been hot if that was the case?

7. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    If the water pump seal was leaking I'd expect the leaked fluid to be warm. But if the coolant wasn't circulating at all the pressure built up in the block would eventually push the coolant stored in the expansion tank out of the overflow, and since that fluid would not have been circulating through the engine it would not be hot.

I'm actually hoping that whatever leaked was indeed hot but lost that heat in the air and through contact with the concrete. Because the scenario involving coolant not circulating gets ugly quickly.

Did you monitor the water temp gauge whilst driving, and did you notice anything out of the ordinary?

8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How do you know it's the water pump that is making that noise under power?

9. DavidLMcAfee

Nov 22, 2015
    East TN
    Full Name:
    David McAfee
    I don't. I meant the car has been making noise under power. I could have stated that more clearly.

10. DavidLMcAfee

Nov 22, 2015
    East TN
    Full Name:
    David McAfee
    I didn't notice anything unusual, but I admit I wasn't paying close attention. I have not been concerned about coolant as I've been more worried about my transmission.

11. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    But the leak is coming from the front of the engine (waterpump area) and not the back of the engine (where the expansion tank resides).

12. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    That looks like a fair amount of fluid. I would have thought a cold pressure test would reveal a leak like that. I agree, it dosnt look like the expansion tank overflow area. That exits on the RH side of the subframe near the wheel arch on mine.

13. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Odd noise could be antifreeze on a pulley or belt. I had a small hose from the expansion tank that sprung a leak and it went straight down the front of the engine, but that is on a 355. Once i pulled the expansion tank loose, it became obvious. Hope yours is something simple like mine was.

14. DavidLMcAfee

Nov 22, 2015
    East TN
    Full Name:
    David McAfee
    The odd noise goes away when I push in the clutch.

15. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Definitely do a coolant pressure test man, only way to check for a coolant leak. :)

16. Christof

Christof Karting

Jun 29, 2014
    Australia
    #16 Christof, Jun 25, 2017
    It appears to be coming form the front-middle of the engine.

1st check under the intake manifold. There is a water manifold with the temp sensors on it. The hose that goes to the expansion tank often leaks at the fitting as the fitting corrodes. This will leak coolant forward to the front of the engine and drip down behind timing belt. Also there is a hose from that water manifold to the water pump. also check that. If they are good then move onto the 2 hoses that go from front of engine to the tubes that connect to radiators. If not either of them then start looking at the water pump. These pumps are not often known to fail, especially like this, however anything possible.

See of water manifold and barb which corrodes
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    #17 m.stojanovic, Jun 25, 2017
  18. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Mine leaked one time at the thermostat...