Best OBD-II reader for '97 F355? | FerrariChat

Best OBD-II reader for '97 F355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by krazykarguy, Jun 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Hi all -

My dad needs an OBD-II reader that is compatible with the F355. He has a 5.2 car, and the CEL has illuminated for the first time this year. He took it somewhere, and when I asked him what the codes were, he said "something with the O2 sensors".

Not useful at all. :-(

As he plans to maintain the car himself, a code reader will be necessary.

I read several threads on here regarding how to read codes, and a few noted the model of scanner - but none (that I was able to dig up) said which reader was the ONE to have.

As info, I do not know if his car has had the OBD-II plug grounding pin recall/TSB done yet - however, another shop was able to pull codes from the car...

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    A few people have been happy with the inexpensive wireless module that talks to your iphone.

I opted for a Actron dedicated OBD2 reader ($250) that can also do live monitoring.

3. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Dash command app and wifi OBD transmitter have worked fine for me.

4. krazykarguy

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    My dad can barely send texts. I would prefer a standalone unit for this (no apps or OBD2 dongles).

Is there anything special about the 355 and reading the codes?

Links to the preferred scanner would be greatly appreciated!

5. krazykarguy

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    The one that he recently purchased (and claims not to work) is an Innova 3140.

I am guessing that he needs to read 'generic' OBD-II codes with this reader, right?

6. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
  7. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I would recommend a Blue Tooth OBDII sender. I bought a WiFi module, then had to keep screwing around with enabling and disabling my WiFi on my phone. I already had a hard-wired OBDII (I thought Wifi would be more convenient), so I abandoned using the WiFi module.

8. krazykarguy

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I would take a recommendation like that for myself.

My father, however is a Luddite, i.e. he has a smartphone, but relies on my mother to attach and send pictures to me. Setting up an app and a dongle to do code reading is not something that I believe he will be able to do... Hence the need for a handheld scanner.

So far, we've got one vote for the Actron CP9180...

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have this

ACTCP9185

Works well.

10. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    #10 WATSON, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ...has the OBD ground wire recall been done on the car? (EDIT: never mind I see you are unsure if it was done)

EDIT #2: I have a Cen-Tec 99722 reader that works fine on my 1998 355.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. krazykarguy

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Thank you for all of the help so far! Keep 'em coming!

If another shop has pulled codes from the car, that should demonstrate that the OBD-II plug recall is done, right?

Is it really a recall, or just a TSB? NHTSA only shows 4 recalls regarding fuel lines/divider and ABS/brakes...

12. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Watson posted the recall doc. It was a recall. If they got codes then it was done. It's a simple wire splice.

13. krazykarguy

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I have read the doc, and the repair is pretty darned easy to undertake - either via the method in the doc or a jumper wire between pins 4 & 5.

The doc Watson posted is titled as an "FNA Tech Bulletin", but also has 'recall' in the doc name. Nowhere in the actual document is the word 'recall' posted, nor is it a recall as far as NHTSA is concerned (for any 355/F355 model, 1996-1999). Hence my confusion. Having worked in a few repair shops over the years, there is a big difference between a TSB ("be on the lookout for this issue") and a recall ("OE manufacturer is on the hook to repair/rectify ASAP"). To me, the PDF looks like a TSB, albeit for a federally-mandated sub-system).

...Now if I could just get my dad to write down or *gasp!* remember the codes that he's gotten read and cleared two separate times now!

14. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I seem to recall that some code readers had a ground jumper on the connection end of the reader which negated the necessity of the ground strap jumper recall in the car. Most readers did not.

As a result, SOME readers MIGHT work on a 355 without the OBD recall. What readers are they? I have no ****ing idea.

Like Dr Bob said, the OBD was a recall. It was mandated to conform with US regulations in terms of accessibility to environmental equipment of the car. Had to be universally readable. It was not until after the recall.

15. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #15 Dave rocks, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Not to derail this, but was the "hose" recall? I don't remember that one.

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The second I posted that, I though the same thing. Perhaps they list more than just recalls under "Campaign" within Modis

18. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I was also going to ask how the hell you got a nice list like that. But see you have a new toy so that answers that. Congrats on snagging the SD2.

19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    That list was a screen shot from a dealer via the Ferrari database. Any dealer can provide.

20. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    INNOVA 3100 ABS and fiat 500 3 pin to 16pin ODBII adapter cable.

21. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    INNOVA 3100 ABS and a Fiat 500 3 pin to 16 pin adapter cable. Mine is set on BMW and works great. NOTE nothing I tried worked through the 16 pin ODBII PLUG under the dash WITH THE RECALL WIRING DONE.. Plug in behind the seat at the 3 pin plug at the ecu and have key in Ignition dash lights ON engine NOT running

22. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    ELM 327 scanner. Bluetooth version, bought off Ebay for around $10 from China. Load free app for IPhone (or smart phone) good to go. Works great on any OBDII car.

23. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    If that is the case, there is no reason to buy anything special, any OBDII compliant code reader will work fine. You shouldn't have to spend more than $40 or $50. ($20 if you shop on Flea Bay) The apps are better though, because they offer more information that the average handheld unit can offer.

24. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I use torque for out there stuff

Has a big community where you can write your own Can-Bus stuff