355 interior courtesy light problem | FerrariChat

355 interior courtesy light problem

Discussion in '348/355' started by hjp, Jun 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    My courtesy light below the rear view mirror no longer turns off automatically in 2 minutes after closing the doors like its supposed to. It just stays on all the time. The 3 position light lens switch will shut it off manually by selecting the center off position and the constantly on position works but the automatic shut off position just keeps it permanently on. I presume it has an auto shut off timer and dimming control located somewhere. Two questions:

1) Where is this located?

2) Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to fix it?

2. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    The timer you are looking for is near the brake master cylinder, almost below it. You will need to remove the trunk liner to gain access to it. It is a timer relay which is easy to test, it is probably stuck contacts.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Is this the same for the 5.2 cars? I notice that the delay relay shown on the Ricambi 2.7 parts diagrams is not shown on the 5.2 cars.

Here (next to the windscreen wiper intermittency controller on the bracket mounted to the bonnet latch)...

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/355-group/f355-m2-7-1995/electrical-boards-and-devices-front-part.html

(Item 14 / Part number 153119)

but not here...

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/355-group/f355-m5-2-1996/electrical-boards-and-devices-front-part.html

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    P.S. Just checked my '98 5.2 spider with an inspection mirror/torch. No timer/delay relay fitted. The mounting stud is there, but no relay.

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Jerry, have you tried cycling the console interior light switch to see if this affects the behaviour?

6. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    No Ian. DUH!! This should have occurred to me before. Thanks for the reminder. I'll let you know if this fixes the problem.

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Don't feel bad, Jerry... It's happened to the best of us :D

8. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    So, as Ian suggested, I recycled the console interior light button. Low and behold, the light now works as its supposed to. Double DUH!! Somehow, when I had the console switch assembly out, I must have pushed the button without realizing it. Oh well, all's well that ends well.....color me embarrassed!

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Good to hear it was an easy fix.

Thanks for the update!

Cheers,