Learning, Using and Documenting the Use of an SD2 on a 355 | FerrariChat

Learning, Using and Documenting the Use of an SD2 on a 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dave rocks, Jun 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    So, I've posted earlier this week that I acquired an SD2 :)

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355-sponsored-bradan/554840-new-gadget.html

I'm going to use this thread to post about my journey as I learn, use and document the tool on the 355, both 2.7 and 5.2 (including F1).

So far I'm just in the early stages of reading the user manual and getting familiar with stuff. Lot's to learn and looking forward to it ;)

The seller forgot to send one box and a cable so when that arrives, I'll do a video showing what I received and the unit powered up and the laptop connected.

The unit is powered via a cigarette lighter connection, apparently a 12VDC power supply comes with it too but the seller did not have it. Like Pins and FOB's, my guess is as these units change hands, stuff gets misplaced. With the help of JohnK, I selected a proper power supply and it will be delivered Monday. John suggested I verify the polarity of the current cigarette connection and I did - thanks, John.

For reference, I ordered a 12VDC, 6 Amp supply with 5.5mm OD x 2.1mm ID connector, (outer diameter Negative, Inner Positive)

I have taken the unit (stand alone) into my DD and powered it up and just scrolled thru the menus. Not really much to see or do without it being connected to the laptop or car.

The SD2, and manual did come in a carry case but I plan to get a flight case for all the stuff - electronic, laptop, cables etc.

One order of business that I will pick away at is identifying all ECU's in both 2.7 and 5.2 (including F1), finding the connector locations and types.

I'll be documenting all I learn so others down the road that acquire a tool can benefit from it.

2. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #2 kenneyd, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Lucky you!
    Can you confirm that the 5.2 airbag light reset it done through the obdii port or a different connector?

3. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hey Kenny - I will certainly check that out.

4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #4 Dave rocks, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So, I decided to pull some panels today to locate some ECU connects. No major secrets here as I've seen most of these before in passing. But seeing in passing and understanding exactly their purpose is two different topics and now I need to learn the exact use of the test ports.

This one appears to be obvious - ABS brake ECU test port
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #5 Dave rocks, Jun 24, 2017
  6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #6 Dave rocks, Jun 24, 2017
  7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #7 Dave rocks, Jun 24, 2017
    Motronic ECU (5.2). This is a bit confusing as I don't see a capped off test port. Not sure where or how to connect here. I've been told some of these ECU's can be accessed via the OBDII port but I'm not sure about that - cannot confirm or deny.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Strange, I have two capped ports there (5.2 Australian gated Spider). One is the OBD2 diagnostic with (3) wires which match the colours in the 5.2 ECU diagram...

5.2 Wiring Schematic

The Australian ECU and harness matches the USA ECU and ECU harness, but I don't think we have the OBD2 port under the dashboard.

9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Can someone with a 5.2, NON - F1, (preferably non spider) remove the panel behind the passenger seat and look for a capped off plug that goes into the main motronic harness? Posting a photo would be great too.

Thanks.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Definitely the alarm, Dave... Rivetted case... and the blue wire you see above it is actually an antenna. I see your car doesn't have an Alarm Interface Unit next to it (where the TCU sits on yours).

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The immobilizer and alarm interface are next to each other in that pic. Yes, I know what the boxes are but I was referring to the capped ports. Ultimately, I will label all of these when I determine what each one does.

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm speculating that on 5.2 F1 cars, the wiring harness connects to the F1 TCU and does not have a test socket like on non-F1 5.2 may have. I'll be talking to one of the techs I know later today and hopefully he can answer a few of my preliminary questions.

14. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #14 Dave rocks, Jun 25, 2017
    The 355 WSM clearly shows the location of the F1 TCU test socket #27. Unless I'm blind, I just don't see that on my car - I do see one but it's a connected plug - not a capped off socket. I'll have another look later as I'm at work now.

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I spoke with a tech I know today who knows all of the SD systems and others like the back of his hand. Matt told me that I need to unplug the main Motronic connector and the same for the TCU. I don't mean the large connectors, the ISO connectors that are plugged in. He explain it but I've forgot the exact electrical explanation he gave me. Hopefully next weekend I can connect to the car and start exploring the different ECU's

16. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Interesting topic! Standing by to see what you learn. :)

17. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I'm curious if you can data log in graph form at a speed that is useful. For me, it's hard to get your mind around raw numbers vs a graph.

18. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Convert data to graph with excel :)

EDIT--O0000ooooOOOPPPs your obd1

You can use these for datalogging works best with a unix system but can work on windows

Arduino OBD-II data logger kit | ArduinoDev.com

:)

19. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    It's been awhile since I used an SD2 but to really get the full in depth use the PC link to the SD2 is exceptionally useful in data logging F1 systems and functions. Of course the zero documentation and use makes for a steep learning curve, but hey if you've got time and patience then it's possible to sort it out, I'd also suggest doing a bit of digging on the F1 system and it's operation in papers and the little info Ferrari shares to read up on it and how it functions.

20. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The three pin plug is the diagnostic port. It is connected to the harness that goes to the OBDII connector. You can use the OBDII cable (also known as the octopus cable, due to all of the wire harnesses coming off of it) that came with the SD2 at your ODBII connector to diagnose the injection ECU's. If you disconnect the female housing from this three pin connector, you can run your ISO cable directly to each motronic ECU.

21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Most certainly a lot to learn, Scott. I actually think the WSM have very good information on the F1 system, but more so mechanical and hydraulic vs. the ECU.

Thanks, Brian. That pretty much the same as my tech friend Matt told me yesterday. He just did not recall what / how much can be done thru the OBDII connector.

He also stated the SD1 is really the proper tool for the 355 and the SD2 will do a great job but stated that one convertible top application is lacking in the SD2 - good thing I only have a GTS and GTB :D

22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Here is a very boring, into video :)

I just wanted to show the unit and a few screens for those who have not seen one before.

I'm hoping to have time this coming weekend to connect to my 98 F1 and view some ECU data.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PolbyAZzb1o[/ame]

23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Well, I hate to disappoint as I thought I would have some good stuff to report today, but nope.

Took a much needed weekend off (which I will pay for this week), did cores, rested a bit, washed the 355 for the first time this season (yep - I'm pathetic) and got the SD2 out to play......

After about an hour of screwing around trying to connect to the main engine ECU, TCU and ABS ECU, nothing. I decided to check the continuity of the ISO extention cable - yep - it's dead. 2 of the 3 pins don't have continuity end to end.

Now I need to find or make one of those up. Crap.

But, when you cancel the software, you do see some of the screens which was a nice preview of what's to come.

24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    So last night I sent an email to Steve Bisel (Bisel here on Fchat) regarding cables.

Woke up this morning to a reply, Steve has the parts and high end cable in stock so I gave him the go-ahead to make me (2) 20' ISO extension cables - very reasonable price and he is shipping them today.

Gotta love Fchat guys!

Thanks, Steve!!

25. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #25 Dave rocks, Jul 6, 2017
    I just received my new ISO extension cables from Steve Bisel. Wow - wow! He said "I use heavy duty cable" - he's not messing around - I could probably run 480 thru those :)

Hopefully I get some time over the next few days to connect to some ECU's