Short blurb on the 348-based Enzo prototype | FerrariChat

Short blurb on the 348-based Enzo prototype

Discussion in '348/355' started by ///Mike, Jun 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Wasn't it for sale recently?

Given it's build in 2000, I wonder why Ferrari elected to use the 348 as the basis for development, rather than F355 or 360.

2. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I'm going to wager that this car didn't look quite as nice as it does now... Prototype mules very seldom look 'complete'.

With that said, here's my guess as to why the Enzo mule was 348-based. In ~2000 when this car was built, which Ferrari would garner the least amount of attention? Yeah, the 348... So in the interests of keeping it's next supercar as under wraps as possible, why not put the motor in the least-attention-grabbing car that is no longer in production??

3. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I think that very car was the one on offer. IIRC, there were three in total but surely they're not all in private hands.

As to why the 348 was used, possibly economics/practicality. For their purposes the 348 was the same as the 355, only less expensive since it was further out of production. Modifying and continually altering an aluminum car like the 360 would be far more time consuming than a steel car like the 348. So if they had a few 348s left over (former test cars?) they'd have been the easy choice. Besides, think how much better this car looks than if they'd done the same to a 355 or 360. :)

4. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I love the longer wider butt on it

5. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Quote:
    "The engine and transmission on the Prototype is same as on the actual Ferrari Enzo. The Hunky V12 and the dual clutch transmission was quite a task to fit into the relatively narrow 348 body, Ferrari had to really stretch the rear out, almost making it look like a 348 on steroids."

That article says Enzo was dual clutch trans, I was under the impression it was single clutch, and first dual being 458. Am I wrong?

6. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    It's like the difference between a Lancia Beta Montecarlo (Scorpion) and a 037. haha...

7. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Hmmm....... I wonder why they left the nose badge off the car? :confused:

The front lower lights don't match, and it looks as though even Ferrari themselves couldn't get the lower light bracket covers! :D

8. skierlawyer

skierlawyer Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Golden, CO
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I think the prototype looks better than a real Enzo