348 DOOR CHECKSTRAP PINS INFO. | FerrariChat

348 DOOR CHECKSTRAP PINS INFO.

Discussion in '348/355' started by Pangea, Jun 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #1 Pangea, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    New door checkstrap pins. Symtom of these being worn or damaged is a loud popping or cracking sound when opening or closing the door, although still retaining the door. Possibly with some play evident. Amazing the difference new can make. These are the earlier type ( No. 8 on drawing) and change to a two pin alternative from Assy no. 15171. (57 and 58 on drawing). The check strap assembly changes at this point too (No. 7 on drawing) so I imagine the pin hole size may differ. Also part of the top hinge which the pin fits to changes at this point. (No. 6 on drawing). Recommend checking assembly number before ordering.

Ferrari 348 (2.7 Motronic) - Doors - Opening Control and Hinges: Page 120 | Order Online Eurospares
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. seabass23

seabass23 Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    St Albert, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Interesting...I'm waiting on new door checks for my '91 348. The passenger side has failed, allowing the dreaded half-moon dent in the front fender (by the previous owner).

You discussion on the new pin design has me a little worried. I ordered 2 door checks and plan on changing both sides. I ordered the "new version" of the door check, part number 63942000. The understanding I had was that the old door check was superseded by a new and improved version. Now you've got me thinking that the new check won't work with my older build number (previous to build 15171). I may have just ordered a couple of paperweights...

3. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Seems like all three components were changed as a improvement modification at the same time. There must be some difference in all of them or why bother. You can only go by the info in the parts diagram which indicates a difference in components. Someone here may previously have had this issue.

4. seabass23

seabass23 Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    St Albert, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #4 seabass23, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Yes, I see that now on the Eurospares website. It looks like I should either buy an old-style door check or I will need to go to a new style top hinge, mounting hardware, and roll pin....

Hopefully someone's had experience with this. Has anyone upgraded an old style (up to build 15171) top hinge assembly to the new style? Is there any benefit to doing this or should I just try and source an old style door check and roll pin?

5. harleyx49

harleyx49 Karting

Jun 26, 2013
    Hutchinson, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I had a broken driver side door check strap pin on my 91 348tb. I just took the broken pin to the hardware store and match with a metric roll pin and it work perfectly.
    I can not remember the specific number of the pin but bought a couple for around 50 cents.

6. seabass23

seabass23 Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    St Albert, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Unfortunately, I don't believe it's just the pin. I'm quite certain that the door check mechanism itself has failed, allowing the door to swing too far.

7. harleyx49

harleyx49 Karting

Jun 26, 2013
    Hutchinson, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I also had a broken check strap, replace with a used one bought on eBay. Make sure you wrap a wire or strong sting on the check strap when you remove it or it can easily fall down inside the body.
    Mine did and it was a real pain getting it back out.

8. Christof

Christof Karting

Jun 29, 2014
    Australia
    Im pretty sure my pin is different and I have the same issues as you. Mines a Spider