355 Spider top emergency button does not work | FerrariChat

355 Spider top emergency button does not work

Discussion in '348/355' started by yelcab, Jun 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am trying to revive a spider whose top has not operated for 10 years. Fluid is in the reservoir. Pushing top operation button gives a beep and nothing. Using the top open-close emergency button by the side of the console behind the seat does nothing at all. No click, no noise, just nothing.

I have no wiring diagram for the spider top. Is there such a beast? How do one make the pump work temporarily?

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Just checking. Key on and hand brake engaged? Fuses on pump good (under pump cover)?

3. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Just an FYI, the emergency switch skips the usual sequence and will operate the pump in the "up" or "down" direction regardless of all conditions including E-brake, windows and seat location.

I wonder if the switch is bad. It is nothing more than a connection direct from the power supply to the pump motor. Not much in between.

Did you check the ground?

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Spider roof diagram here, Mitchell (from the WSM)...

Spider Roof Wiring Diagram

I've incorporated the bypass switches (shown on a separate page in the WSM) into one diagram (although I haven't actually confirmed there are 3 switches in that bypass circuit.... I've never operated the roof on mine, either :D )

5. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I would check power and ground at the pump while using the emergency switch, and at the switch first.

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The emergency switches just ground two relays (one for up and one for down). There is a large 30 amp fuse that supplies power to the relays and motor. You should hear one of the relays click when you depress the emergency up or down button. They provide power and ground to the motor and just reverse the polarity depending on which button you are depressing.
    There should be 12v at the fuse at all times.

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I assume if no relay clicking in either the up or down direction, it's a power or earthing problem rather than a double relay problem. If no click on the down relay only, perhaps you could swap the relays (they seem to have the same part number).

That diagram is a little confusing. It looks like the relay solenoid power bypasses both fuses.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    #8 yelcab, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Relays seem to work.
    There is 12V at the relays and the switches do work.

I applied direct 12V from a spare battery to the pump and it does not work. That is one problem.

The second problem is there is no clicking at the relay. From the diagram that was provided above, power and ground (or an enable pin) seem to be supplied from somewhere outside that diagram via a 2 pin connector at top left. Where is that switched ground coming from? another board? Another relay?

That little connector has 2 signals, +30 and +15.
    +30 seems to be 12 power
    +15 looks to be an enable signal or a switched GRD signal. There is 12V there and it should be GRD for the thing to work.

Where is it coming from?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #9 Qavion, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    In normal mode, the ECU provides the grounds for the closing/opening relay solenoids (via "A01" and "A02"). During emergency mode, the ground for the relay solenoids is on the other side/s of the emergency (bypass) switches (perhaps close to the bypass switches)... i.e. shown just above the buzzer in the diagram. According to the diagram, there is a single ground in bypass mode (the switches determine which relay gets the ground)

Both +15 and +30 are power sources (I'd say one is a 15 amp supply, the other a 30amp supply)

You didn't specify if both relays weren't clicking in bypass mode. If they aren't, it sounds like a power problem or an earth problem (It would be unlikely that you would have a motor and two relay failures). Can you pull out one of the relays and check for 12V on the relay socket? (EDIT: I don't know if the power goes through the ignition. You may have to turn the key)

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If there is no ground, any circuit that is powered may show 12V at to ground terminal because there is no current flow. You know, Ohm's law. Some time better written as delta (V) = I x R where delta(V) is the voltage drop across the resistor. No current, I=0, delta(V) = 0, so 12V on one side gives 12V on the other.

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    P.S. two of the relay pins should have power. One power source is for the solenoid and one power source is for the relay contacts (which power the motor).

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    You can try interchanging the relays to see if anything happens. However, it may be that one relay is stopping the other from working (by not returning to the relaxed state). You need one relay to be relaxed to get an earth for the motor.

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Here are the current paths for closing during bypass operation...

Bypass closing circuit

Magenta = relay solenoid current flow. Green = motor current flow.

Note that the motor current flow goes through both relays (one energised, one relaxed)

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I still have that problem number 1, the motor does nothing when I applied 12V to it, in both directions. A replacement motor is ... $8K

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Check the impedance of the motor winding.

17. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I know you know this but you will find another motor

In canada princess auto sells them.

Post a pic with specs if you can not find one I am sure I can.

Likely take apart and fix motor pump is likely good.

18. Tridentecavallino

Mar 15, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #18 Tridentecavallino, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  19. Roger348

Roger348 Karting

Feb 10, 2013
    Reno, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Roger Cody
    I've got the Whole Complete Roof Frame and Controls and Hydraulic system. I've pulled it folding a 1996 F355 and have no need of these items. PM for more detail

Ciao!
    Roger

20. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

Yeah but it says they won't ship to the states. Funny it's on ebay he shouldn't care where it goes.

21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'm trying to figure out the switch arrangement in the diagram. It shows the up/down switches (in red), but also an additional switch to earth (ground). The Owner's Manual says that the park brake must be set for the override system to work. Is the handbrake switch the additional switch? The park brake switch is shown elsewhere in the diagram, but the diagram is a composite of two diagrams in the WSM, so may still be the same switch.

The Owner's Manual also says the ignition has to be on, even during override, so, I presume, either (or both) the +15/+30 power sources are via the ignition.

Thanks,
    Cheers

22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Update.

I changed the pump motor . It was definitely dead. Applying 12V directly to the motor did nothing. The new pump tests out OK on the bench, meaning it runs when 12V is applied. Once it is installed though, it does not respond to the emergency switch. The Closing relay tested fine on the bench by making a loud click when 12V is applied to the actuating side. No loud click when in the car and the switch is pressed. There is 12V to the correct pin on the relay.

Does anyone know if the hand brake has to be pulled on even for the emergency button to work? I did not have it on....

I also do not know how the emergency switches are designed and wired. It has 6 wires, two switches, momentarily engaged, normally closed & normally open. Kind of confusing.... without a switch design diagram or wiring colors on the schematic.

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Parking brake must be engaged, according to the owner's manual, for the emergency button to work.

24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    John

Look at the diagram in post 5, then tell me how the ECU can disable the function of the emergency switches.... I like to know, and you have the time to figure it out.

25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Mitch, where does say that the ECU disables the function of the emergency switches? Assuming the emergency switches and ECU internal up/down switches are the normally open type, the two circuits shouldn't affect each other.

The diagram in post 4 is a compilation of two diagrams from the WSM. The lower switch in the red-coloured bypass circuit was not identified in the WSM, but when I compiled the diagram, I speculated that the lower switch in the red-coloured circuit was the handbrake switch as the manual says the handbrake switch affects the bypass circuit. Since I can't confirm that the lower switch is the park brake switch (or poles on the park brake switch, I didn't draw wires from the red circuit to the other park brake switch"S8" shown on the left hand side of the diagram.

Compiled roof diagram

Are you saying that you physically checked your emergency switches and each have 6 wires attached, or 3 wires each or 6 poles or 3 poles or ??? And do the switches have 3 different types of contacts? (momentary, normally closed and normally open). Could you post a photo of these switches? (my car is in the shop at the moment). Are there any markings on the switches (manufacturer part numbers, pin numbers, etc)?

Unfortunately, if some of the emergency switch contacts are normally closed, then figuring out which wires are for what will be difficult.

Do you have access to the park brake switch?