Exact same key for 2 separate F355 cars??? | FerrariChat

Exact same key for 2 separate F355 cars???

Discussion in '348/355' started by treedee3d, Jun 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I attended an event during Grand Prix weekend with valet service. At the end of the evening I stepped out to find the valet already had my vehicle running at the front door...

Kind of weird that he knew I was coming out but perhaps he had telepathy powers or something. Anyway, my wife and I got in and drove home. When I got home I pulled out the key and there was FOB attached to it???

My car is a 95 and does not have an alarm. I remembered using my square boring key that night but this key was oem with the horse on it...

Immediately I knew it wasn't mine but was kind of perplexed so I restarted the car, tried both doors-Key worked Perfect!

Decided to drive back to the event and just as I suspected, I found the one 355 there who had a key and was unable to disarm his car.

We had a good laugh and looked at the keys and they were exactly the same!!!

Felt like I found a brother I never knew I had since we shared the same key DNA!

We even took pictures to celebrate the occasion. Has anyone ever heard of this before? The things that come up sometimes and the "stunts" that Ferrari pull at times are just shocking...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    This is sort of funny, and definitely not surprising.

No tip for the valet that day.....

3. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    That's crazy.

4. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    This is not as surprising as it may seem at first thought. There is a finite number of key combinations so the question then becomes how many combinations did Ferrari use for the 355. Many years ago I read that GM was only using 30 combinations and this type of issue became a problem so they increased the number to 150 (I'm sure the number of combinations have increased through the years). Think about the number of vehicles they produce and then you get an idea how many are driving around with the same key combo. Way back in the '70s I had an old '62 Chevy that my wife drove to work and was parked in a lot with about 150 other cars. I had a need for a minor repair (low hanging exhaust system common to the year) and the garage was close by so they said they would drop over, pick up the car, repair, and bring it back before end of business day. They picked up the car, did the repair, and when I inspected it I found nothing was done. Called and they said they had completed it on the red '62. Problem was my car was blue. Somebody got a free repair and never really knew it. True story.

5. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab

That's a crazy story!!!

What's even more surprising is that they don't change the key combinations from year to year because my car is a 95 and the other was a 98.

6. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    My first car was a 97 camaro SS, my fob would unlock my neighbors truck, set of random alarms in parking garages, and the key would start my K5 blazer, my boss's truck, the golf cart, and every cessna and piper aircraft at our flight school.

7. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    You would be surprised how many keys work in same brand cars

When you have 500+ cars in stock you try all keys before going to get the correct one

:)

8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Does not suprise me either

9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    McGard wheel lock is up the street from my shop. They have a very finite set of patterns and let me tell you, it's not many. :)

10. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Similar thing happened to me in 1989 with a Thunderbird. I was walking to my car at night in a large parking lot, unlocked a car with the key, stepped inside, started the car, then realized I was in the wrong car. May have been some alcohol involved as well.

11. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Well you could have driven away haha, more alcohol and you may have driven it home so not to bad.

12. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    Would be even funnier if it was the right key but the wrong car and you didn't notice until the next day! ;-)

13. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    We had a ton of misc keys at my parent's house in the early 1990's that built up from various cars & eventually 6 drivers over the years. One day I finally decided to go through them and discard the old ones- I was trying keys in the cars and had an old GM key (square head) that I was just going to throw out since I knew it was from a 1976 Buick LeSabre we no longer had, but without looking picked it up from the pile and it went smoothly into the keyhole of a 1988 Chevy Caviler and worked perfectly! Up to that point it never crossed my mind that there were a limited number of key combos.

As an aside, my grandfather and father worked a deal to buy 2 buicks at once from the Buick dealer- both with the fist year the lesabre could come with a V6 (1976). 2 barrel carb, 105 net HP- probably the worst power to weight ratio out there, even in in the dark years for cars of the 1970's. I think my need for spirited driving to this day comes from my formative years being driven around slowly in that thing and pent up frustration going down the highway at 56 mph with SLOWWW acceleration...but I digress

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    A thousand years ago I had a Ford Maverick. I lived in an apartment in Santa Clara at the time so I kept my tools and my extra oil in the trunk. I discovered that someone was opening my trunk and stealing them every couple of weeks. No scratches or damages so they had a key. Yes, there are limited number of combos when you only have 4 or 5 tumblers.

15. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    A few years ago, I hired a purple VW Polo. I parked at the supermarket, did some shopping, then returned to the car, unlocked it, opened the door and started the engine.

I turned my head to reverse out of the space to find... a baby seat! Definitely wasn't mine!

The car I'd rented was one row away.

16. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    When I bought my SeaRay boat in 2006, the dealer said, "We just have to find a set of keys here...shouldn't be a problem, SeaRay only makes about 15 different keys for all their boats."

17. harleyx49

harleyx49 Karting

Jun 26, 2013
    Hutchinson, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Many years ago I was with a friend who was looking to buy a Lear Jet, the aircraft broker couldn't locate the key for the clam shell door so he just used a chevy key.
    He said that almost any chevy key would unlock the Lear 23/24 series aircraft !
    I never tried it but it did open the door for the demo flight.

18. brian0473

brian0473 Karting

Mar 14, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Maybe there IS a use for the collection of old keys building in my "key drawer" after all.

The dude on the left kinda looks like a bigger Richard Rawlings.

19. harleyx49

harleyx49 Karting

Jun 26, 2013
    Hutchinson, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    And the Dude on the right look's like Chris Hayes on MSNBC.

20. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    That dude is me, I get the Richard Rawlings thing all the time, especially when I was a tad lighter, tad younger and the fuller gauthier beard.

21. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    For automotive keys like this there are very few combinations. Generally less than 10,000. This key seems to be even less but I am no locksmith so I don't know but it's probably a couple thousand or so. The real rareness is that two Ferrari's were at the same event and since maybe only 2-10 355s share the same key, that is rare indeed.

This has happened quite a few times with american cars where someone goes to the mall and comes back out and drives home in a different car. A couple news stories as I recall over the last 10 or so years.

Nice of you to return. That fob was critical.