Question about battery/alternator function at idle. | FerrariChat

Question about battery/alternator function at idle.

Discussion in '348/355' started by The Outcast, Jun 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    My car is a 6-Speed 5.2 (1999).

The car runs great, but, at idle, it gets a bit stumbly and, on occasion, chokes a bit when I tip the throttle in. Once the revs start to climb above 1000, everything evens out.

My alternator functions properly, and was bench-tested last week.

I have noticed that, if the LH fan is on (OEM-type fan pulling 27-ish Amps) when I take my foot off the accelerator pedal, it slows down a bit.

My battery is now 6 years old, and I have put approximately 35,000 miles on the car since then.

Is it possible that an older battery could contribute to problems with idle performance?

2. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Wow, great question. I see similar activity on a 1996 5.2 car. Curious to see what others say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Regarding the battery and a stumble - I would think it to be unlikely an old battery would cause this, as once the car is started, it should be running purely on the alternator's output. I've always been taught that the battery of a car is like a reservoir, and the alternator is the dam upstream controlling the river flow to the reservoir (thus keeping the 'water' [voltage] level at a predetermined 'height' [a certain voltage]). If the alternator cannot provide enough power, voltage will be drawn from the battery when running.

I'm curious as to the voltage readings with the engine off, at initial startup, and fully warmed (should be >12.5v off, and between ~13-14.5v running). With the battery in the RH nose of the car, I imagine it's kind of difficult to get a voltage reading directly from the posts. FWIW, it's common for a high-load component (i.e. a 27A fan draw) to affect the idle speed of the engine.

My dad was also recently noting a low-idle stumble (he described it as a 'miss').

He's got a set of Kingsborne wires (in rossa, of course - lol) on their way. Thinking that it might be as simple as a bad wire - they are original to the car...

4. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    Should be easy enough to get the meter attached up front. To battery +/- posts, right?

I have not noticed the fan affecting idle, but I have noticed idle status affect the audible speed of the fan.

For what it's worth, I tried the Kingsborne wires 3 years ago and they lasted about 1.5 years before they started arcing in a few places. I threw them away and put the OEM wires back on.

5. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    So, really, the big question is "at idle of 1000 RPM, does alternator make enough current on its own to run all of the car's electrical?".

6. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    If everything is on, how many amps is that?

sjd

7. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    Not sure, but I talked to some folks here at work who handle Electrical, and they say that alternator at idle, at most, will produce 50% of its rated output. Fans alone are pulling over 50 amps at idle in the F355 if you're using OEM type.

8. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    There is positive post from the battery in the engine bay under the right side trim piece.

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    A) with an idle speed of 1050, your motor should never be under 1000 RPMs at idle.

B) with the fans running the alternator is pumping out 50A to keep the fans running and another 5-10A to keep the motor running. Lights will be another 20-40A if on.

50A at 12V is 1HP and at typical alternator efficiencies maybe 2 HP, with the belt takeoff from the crank, maybe 3HP from the motor.

So, while the alternator pulls a load on the engine, it should not pull it down "that much".

C) as to the battery, it has often been noted that a fresh new battery eliminates many undiagnosed gremlins. The real question, is; after sitting for a week, does the car start on the first or second turn of the key. If it does, the battery is probably not at fault.

10. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan

A) Engine always seems to idle at 1000 RPM.

B) I always have fogs and parking lights on.

C) Engine always starts on first turn of the key. But when the battery was new, it cranked faster than it does now.

Based on your tally of current draw, my car is pulling anywhere from 75 to 100 amps at idle. If all of that is true, then the car definitely needs the battery at idle.

11. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Yes, this I knew - but what is the potential voltage drop from the nose of the car to the battery post? I only suggested testing directly at the battery to eliminate the potential of a false low reading due to this.

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Get a set of compresson and leak tests done on the engine. With the engine on tickover, you are asking it to produce more torque when the fan is switched on, to maintain the tick over. Also how well is the fuel delivery balance on the engine. It sounds fine on tick over but when asked to do a bit more it objects.
    Does the engine have some form of fuel pressure regulation that might need a bit of attention ?

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    This is another 10-15A

Also note, the alternator may be current limited at low engine RPMs whereas it will not be at higher RPMs.

Try turning off the fogs and park lamps and report back if there is any change.

14. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Sounds like a fuel supply issue to me.

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    It is possible the off idle stumble is more related to unbalanced or misadjusted throttle bodies.

16. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    Chuck Capella said something like that, but he called it "fuel trim". I noticed that the fuel pump relay was hotter than the other relays in the footwell box. Might that be a possible culprit? Bad fuel pump relay?

17. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Interesting because uconnhusky has had them close to 10 years and I have never heard him complain or have problems.

18. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    My car afterI did the major idled better than it does now. My guess like others have suggested is the injectors are no longer perf ct at idle.

It was perfectly smooth now a slight stumble hardly noticable but there.

As Dave said likely a fuel issue or carb balance is out, idle control valve, etc.

19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Dennis - this is one of those times when real time, real life diagnostic will be needed.

20. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    A slightly dirty MAF can also cause a hiccup from Idle, or even uneven idle.
    Easy to clean inside with electrical component cleaner in a can. (first remove from the inlet system of course). If that does not help, my cards are on the ignition wires. But you can check those a bit by starting the car in the dark, and see if sparks are crossing between the wires. (you do need to remove the covers first as that is where the wires are stacked closely to each other).

21. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I agree, clean the MAF and the throttle bodies. Easy to do and I recently had an experience with one of my other cars that had idling issues where doing that took care of the problem.

Go to the auto parts store and get a can each of TB cleaner and MAF cleaner. Follow the directions on the cans. DONT touch the MAF wires, just spray as directions say.

Give it a try.

22. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    Thanks, everyone, for your input.

Thanks Dave Rocks for mentioning a possible fuel issue.

Turns out it was the Fuel Pressure Regulator on the Driver Side bank. I had a new one in a box and I replaced the old one.

All fixed now.

23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Right on - Dennis :)

Glad it's solved ;)

24. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Interesting. I had an issue recently in which I considered replacing the fuel pressure regulator and in looking at it in the engine I had no idea how you could get at that without some significant disassembly. How did you change it?

I called on a replacement also and it was $700. Good for you having one laying around!!

25. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #25 Dave rocks, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017