One year ownership report with my '95 Spider | FerrariChat

One year ownership report with my '95 Spider

Discussion in '348/355' started by Orange Crush, Jul 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Orange Crush

Orange Crush Karting

Dec 30, 2009
    Wichita KS
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I meant to post this a little while ago and got sidetracked but wanted to give everyone a 1yr ownership report with some opinions of the car, maintenance and overall experience.

I purchased the car with 37,200 miles on it and it now has a little over 39,500 as of tonight. When i bought it, I knew what I was getting into and did all the research but I wanted to know what would happen if I bought one with no service records other than what I could dig up on the internet. From all the horror stories I figured I would be in for some serious surprises but i'm here to say it has been relatively uneventful maintenance- wise. I was able to find out the major had been done 3 years ago and approximately 3000 miles ago so that was a relief. Also, some sleuthing found an old ebay ad in 2007 where it stated the car had its valve guides done and the seller had history to back it up so I was fairly comfortable with that as well. The only thing I can say for certain is that the headers have NOT been done but as of now there are no issues and all seems secure on that front. The power top also works on this car and was done in about 2013 as well but i'm not using it much as I dont want to take my chances. :D Now for the issues I've dealt with so far:

1) 2 bad 02 Sensors
    3) 1 bad shock actuator
    4) Front steering rack was loose causing major play, turned out a bolt had backed its way loose
    5) 1 bad thermocouple.

That's it! My total to own this service record free car over the first year has come to $3200 in parts and labor with oil change thrown in and I couldn't be happier. I've also put some money into proper paint correction and fixing a small oops where my 4yr old decided to leave her toy behind the car when I was backing out which brought the total to $4100 overall. Right about in line for what I was expecting or budgeting for. Now for my overall driving impressions:

It's amazing how small this car is in person. Parking it next to a modern GTR is like parking it next to Florida. I love the feel of these older analog cars, there's just nothing like them. The engine is incredible; So smooth with enough power to have fun with but not too much to wipe out a group of cars and coffee spectators is actually all I need. The power delivery is just so amazing and there's nothing like winding her up near redline; It's intoxicating. The handling does take a little getting used to as it's definitely a little more lighter feel than I like however you have to believe in the car and really toss her about and she will reward you and stick like glue. The attention it gets is another story lol. 50% good and 50% everyone wanting to trade or asking if I'm a trust fund baby or how i can afford it.... that does get a little old. The kids who want to sit in it and take pictures make up for the idiots tenfold though.

So would I do it over again? Absolutely. This was my dream car as a kid and I knew going in what the risks were. I wouldnt be nervous about buying another one without records as long as I could do enough sleuthing to find out about the major bits. It's actually easier than you think if you have the carfax, vin and a little luck! I just wanted to share my experience with a non-sorted car to anyone who may think about taking the plunge on a lesser expensive example. Sure it could have gone horribly wrong and it still might but until then, I'll be driving down some twisty roads with that flat plane crank song playing in my ear and the top down..... sometimes...

2. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Congratulations and enjoy!

3. baschul

baschul Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Brian S
    Congrats! These cars are truly incredible when they're right.

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Congrats and enjoy many more miles.

5. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I've had my '97 Spider for a little over a year now and haven't had any serious issues. The only money I've spent is for a Capristo muffler, an annual service and refinishing the steering wheel surround. I think I've put about 1500 miles on it. It's been 5 years since the last major on it. I may do a major later this year. It drives like a new car.

6. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Great to hear your story! To really enjoy and appreciate these cars I believe that you either have to be: 1) stupid rich, where money really is no object, 2) lucky - where you purchased the unicorn low problem car, or 3) well prepared and informed about the realistic costs of owning one and the risk/reward profile associated with the level of documentation. I don't know if you're #1, but you're definitely #3! :)

7. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Judd10, I see you've owned 2, what's that say?

I'm only on my first one, but yes, I'm addicted (and lucky, so far).

8. jstar

jstar Karting

Aug 8, 2014
    up north
    Full Name:
    jstar
    When I first drove mine, I wondered what all the fuss was about. Having changed over from a v12 i wondered where the torque was. Then I learned that 4-5k rpms is where the party STARTS and have absolutely loved it ever since. favorite thing is to take a friend down a country road and watch them sweat as I approach a corner... like glue!

9. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    9 months for my 355 spyder: so far just gas money and flushed brakes and clutch. Never did that job faster with any of my cars. Drove over 300mi (back and forth) to Lime Rock last Memorial day where my car was parked at a Ferrari corral and treated like a celebrity with people taking photos and posing next to it. Still in a honeymoon... may this last another year at least.

10. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Great post.

These are fantastic road cars and even better on the track - true Ferraris.

Glad to see you were able to acquire a well sorted model. As I've learned with owning 3 Ferraris (V8, Flat 12, V12), the ones with decent milage are the ones to get.

Enjoy one of the best sounding Ferraris ever.

11. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I am on year 4.5, and I've been very happy. I bought a completely sorted, one owner, 16K miles example that had the valve guides replaced by Ferrari of Atlanta as part of the purchase. Payed top of the market at the time, but knew I was getting a great example.

Stuff that's broken:

1) One O2 sensor ($65 at autozone)
    2) My aftermarket Nouvalari headers warped along the flange, but can't blame Ferrari for that. I should have bought Fabspeed or Tubi.
    3) CV boots are to the point now they probably need replacing, not torn but definitely dry and cracked. Next free weekend that's my project.
    4) Bypass valve has started to rattle, guess I'll spring for the nice aftermarket one (capristo?)
    5) The little piece on the HVAC door selector motor drive stripped.

That's it over 4.5 years and 6K miles.

12. 8500rpm

8500rpm Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    San Francisco Bay
    Full Name:
    Chan
    Yes, my car came with a Capristo valve, no problems for 3 years.

Are the Nouvalari headers a 100% in-house build like Fabspeed (yes, subcontracted but beside the point) and Tubi? Or do they use the original heat shield, merge collectors and downstream pipes?

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    16 months since delivery, 13,000 miles so far - the car just passed 60k. So basically I've done 1/4 of it's miles, in a little over a year.*

All in still under $1 a mile, and that includes some deferred things I took care of including all new coolant hoses, new Fabspeed cats, a bunch of random rubber and plastic bits, rebuilt alternator, a fresh set of Michelin Super Sports. Next up is bumper skid area repair/respray and a major. Runs good and strong though.

*Which is why I'm considering upgrading to something newer... I love the lightweight manual but I'm using it so much that a lower-mileage car with an easier top might be the way to go.

14. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I have the new Goth valve on mine for about 8 months now. No issues and seems well built.

15. fiorano#7

fiorano#7 Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    Wellington Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Personally, I would be more afraid of some these low mileage cars - Ferrari's do not do well when they sit, and the fluids don't get circulated. I saw a low mileage Barchetta the other day on its original tires I wouldn't drive it ten miles on those dried out old things! Low mileage is great if you never drive the thing, but Ferrari's are meant to be driven. Just make sure get it warmed up before pushing it to the red line, and you can have decades of enjoyment. My 355 F1 has 44,000 miles one clutch replacement, with regular maintenance it still runs and performs like new! Just remember the replacement parts aren't cheap so keep an extra $10,000 around for repairs.

16. dgreen1128

dgreen1128 Rookie

Dec 30, 2016
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dick Green
    Thanks for sharing. It is great to hear good results.

17. TGreene

TGreene Rookie

Feb 29, 2016
    Ventura
    Full Name:
    Trevor Greene
    Good to read. This is my first post on fchat and I am glad to see that so much of this forum is made up by people who really get involved to know and maintain the cars rather than just drive/garage them while keeping a mechanic on retainer.

So far everything I hear about the 348 keeps pushing me towards tracking one down for myself.

Post up some pictures.

18. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I've owned my car for 18 months and I can say that there were no serious surprises. A few issues no doubt, but this car is 22 years old. Unfortunately this year, the weather has prevented me from putting much more than 200 or so miles, but hopefully fall is better weather. Nothing beats dry cool sunshine weather to enjoy drop top driving! This car is meeting my expectations for my first ferrari so far.

19. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    Just turned 58k in my '98 F1 this weekend-- took it to Monterey for car week. 800 miles round trip, no issues. Bought it 10 years ago with 13k miles, lots of money and sorting (and swearing) along the way, but love this car!

20. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    Of course the OP will be whistling a different tune when it is time for the engine out major service.

I to had a 95 F355 and the major cost $14k.

21. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Depends where you go, what you know, the car's previous caretakers, and quality of upkeep. Owners do not need to assume every engine out will mirror your dollars spent. There are plenty of engine out experiences ranging from $1,800 for diy to $5k at indy shops. Over a 5 year window - that is not bad. :D

Robb