garage parking lift for the 355 | FerrariChat

garage parking lift for the 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by emac, Aug 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    #1 emac, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this discussion (mods, feel free to move prn). I am looking at a parking lift to add room in my shop for another car. I came across this Bend Pak lift that would fit nicely and has way more capacity than I would ever need for the Fcar. Anyone have one of these or thoughts about them?

Bend Pak PL-7000XR
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    #3 emac, Aug 13, 2017
    Great link Dave, thank you. I guess they like them enough to buy a few. I added a new car to the stable and I am running out of room. I bought a 97 NSX with 23k miles. The car has been in our family since 99, my Dad (80) said he was tired of it. Even though he is still sharp and active, it is very hard watching a parent age. We have worked together for well over 20 years, without any bad words. Well, maybe one or two, from me, not him.

Its been sitting for a long time and the fuel was bad, fuel pump toast. I guess stabil even has a shelf life. I got it back running after dropping the tank and cleaning it out. Nice ride, but it ain't a F355!

I am thinking of putting the lift where the FF cobra is in the picture. I just don't like to keep extra cars in the area where I work....bad things seem to happen. I enclosed an overhang a few years ago, and promised myself no junk goes in there, just cars. Hard promise to keep.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The video in the other message thread says that the setup can be freestanding (no bolts required). The video refers to the PL7000X (I don't know if the XR is different).

Wish they made a freestanding setup for engine removals :D

4. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
  5. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Ernest I have a bendpack 4 post that is not bolted in and has the removable castors. It is a neat setup in that you can resposition the lift if desired. i.e , tucked against the wall for max storage location and in the center of the garage if working on the car for 360 degree access.

This coupled with a bridge jack is a great set up

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I'd steer you in the direction of a 4 post lift with the dual tracks/decks. You get the same parking practicality, but with the open area underneath you open up options for service and cleaning.

IMO the solid deck on those parking lifts limit your options and while I've never seen one in person it also appears you might have door opening (ingress/egress) issues on both the upper and lower car when you pull in due to the single side post right int he middle of the car...

With cars as low as 355 and NSX you'll need the lower profile/longer approach ramps.

advantage lifts also offer a double wide 4 post lift which might be worth looking into also.

http://advantagelifts.us/

7. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Bob, I saw that lift and really liked the caster idea. I am concerned the extra posts would get in my way. I have a truss in the middle that may get in the way. I looked at a four post two car parking lift, but it was a couple of inches too wide, and would give me an empty spot to fill!

Meister, I am just looking for something for storage. The other side of my shop has a two post Rotary lift for work. The PL7000 has pretty low ramps, not sure if they are low enough but I will probably keep the 355 on the bottom for easier access.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Four post lift is my choice. Parking and service. Engine removal for Ferrari and Porsche have been performed on my 4 post....

Mine is bolted down for a few reasons but it is safe and very convenient.

9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  10. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
  11. seabass23

seabass23 Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    St Albert, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I've had my car on an Advantage Lift. I also helped with the assembly of the lift. These are absolutely top notch units if you are in the market for a 4-post. I haven't attempted an engine-out service on a Ferrari but it was perfect for a clutch replacement on my BMW E39 M5.

12. jebones

jebones Karting

May 13, 2015
    NEOhio
    #13 jebones, Aug 16, 2017
    If your only intention is to use it for storage, any lift is adequate. The cheaper ones need to be set up properly to work smoothly. My brother bought a Bendpak and the installer was less than precise putting it up and the first time he tried to lower his 328 one post bound up and the whole thing tilted and bound up. He had to have it readjusted several times and he still has to be careful when lowering from full height to make sure all four corners a lowering evenly.
    I bought a back yard buddy. 4 Post Car Lift for Home Garage, Residential Car Lift| Backyard Buddy A lot more expensive but very rugged. I use mine mostly for service and occasional storage. My theory is that if I'm climbing under a lift to wrench and start cranking on stuck suspension bolts with a breaker bar, I don't want to worry that the lift will start to wobble.
    I've gotten to the (lazy) point where I use it even when washing the cars. Much easier to clean the wheels, wash the lower sections and vacuum out the interior.

13. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #14 taz355, Aug 16, 2017