Draining condensation inside 348 windshield | FerrariChat

Draining condensation inside 348 windshield

Discussion in '348/355' started by Marco89, Aug 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marco89

Marco89 Rookie

Mar 11, 2017
    #1 Marco89, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello guys, this is my first post here! I'm looking for your wisdom for fixing my 348 windshield, it's has a kind of water condensation between the windshield glasses, my thoughts:

1) Pry the black cover and use a very powerful vacuum cleaner + heat gun.

2) Make small holes in the first layer and use again a vacuum cleaner to do the job, then fix the holes with resin for glass.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. alexjack

alexjack Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    Don
    Youll need to find where the glass is separating and fix that or your condensation will continue to appear. I don't even know if that's possible. Good luck.

3. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    It looks like capillary climb of water that accumulates at the bottom of the windscreen (under the black strip) up the glass de-laminated portion. You can probably solve it if you remove the strip, carefully heat up the portion of the glass until the water is gone (may take very long as water does not like to evaporate downwards) and then apply sealant along the edge of the glass at the affected area. However, I have read that removing the black strip (without damaging it) can be quite difficult.

4. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I'd consult with a true professional before taking actions that might make it worse. Finding a good windshield guy might be tough, but perhaps worth the effort in this case. I suspect the correct solution is installing a new windshield.

Good luck and let us know what you wind up doing.

5. Marco89

Marco89 Rookie

Mar 11, 2017
    Thank you guys for your comments, actually the garage that service my car and a windshield company told me that I should replace the windshield, as "I have to replaces" to me seams reasonable to at least try to get that water out of the way!

Yes I agree with that, and as exactly water evaporates upwards I wanted to fit a powerful vacuum cleaner at the water entrance during the heating process, I have to ask what kind of sealant should I use? black silicon it's good enough? Also is a 2000W heatgun safe to use on the windshield at medium setting (should behave as a 1000W heatgun) ?

For removing the black strip I'm going to try interior pry tools, in my 348 almost all the black strip is a bit lifted up, should not be a big problem to lift it a bit more locally for make the job.

6. Marco89

Marco89 Rookie

Mar 11, 2017
    PS: my full answer is under moderation, maybe because I'm still a new user, it will apper soon I hope.

A way to remove the black trim super-safely is to use the same technique I used for changing my macbook retina glued batteries: https://youtu.be/fupkPz55tUo?t=140 , but using a nylon string for fishing, and I can get it through by just prying a very small part.

7. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    +1

8. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    This is a way its done

I also seen small holes drilled in the windshield and epoxy pulled in under vacuum similar to chip fixes.
    They been doing it this way since safety glass started. It used to delam much more then it does today with that thick layer of plastic it had

:)