Moving from a 308 to 348...what to look for? | FerrariChat

Moving from a 308 to 348...what to look for?

Discussion in '348/355' started by DWPC, Aug 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DWPC

DWPC Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2011
    Sedona AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I've been kicking myself ever since selling my '86 308 five years ago. I maintained it myself (short of internal engine/drivetrain issues). I've come across a '90 348 at an indie car dealer with 65K miles; the only record is the Carfax which is a red flag. I'm wondering what major issues I should look for besides the timing belts and control arm bushings. The 308 was a pretty bullet-proof automobile for an exotic; with thankfully few electronics, and straightforward K-Jetronic FI system that could be set up with a set of fuel pressure gauges. I know little about the differences between the 308 and 348. Tips on value range will be welcome too.

Can someone recommend a good indie tech in Phoenix for a PPI? And does anyone know what the 348 break-over angle is; I now have a steeper driveway (it drops away from the street) than when I had the 308?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    There are so many how to buy a 348 threads already here so its worth cruising thro a few - another place to look is My Ferrari 348

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    #3 Meister, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    the 348 driveline is similarly robust and dependable as the 328.

windows, HVAC non op/melted hidden fuse, sticky interior vents/panels are some of the typical issues. If you maintained your 328 these projects are well within your capability.

Cars moved up into the high $40K/$50 for a while back but now seem to be on the way back down. Low/mid $40k's for the good ones and driver quality probably realistically back in the mid $30k's

The front nose is an issue. I live in a pretty hilly place and am constantly scraping the underside on stuff. I don't know the specific angle but a 348 has a lot less clearance than a 308/328 due to the nose being further out in front of the wheels. I need to use extended ramps to get my 348 on my lift where I can use the standard ones for my lotus esprit.

I did the same 308 to 348 about 4 years ago and admittedly the 308/328 is far more classically beautiful car but in terms of drivability, usability, etc I don't regret the move at all. If I had unlimited $ I'd have both don't get me wrong

4. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    PPI in Phoenix a good choice would be Andy Falbo at Ferrari Motor Service in Fountain Hills. He did my major and maintenance when I lived there and is very fair and top notch. He will give a real fair appraisal of a vehicle's condition.

5. Ferrarimondial348

Ferrarimondial348 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    +1 on Andy Faldo. He has taken care of my 348 over the last 4 years. Andy did the initial PPI and then a major. Tell him Stephen, the English bloke, recommended you.

6. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    Good point on the nose .I live in the northeast and I think that's the number one thing that took away from enjoying the car.

7. DWPC

DWPC Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2011
    Sedona AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    My driveway drops down from the street so the nose wouldn't snowplow in, but I worry that the body would get high-centered crossing the "hump", and the low nose would be at risk in routine driving.

8. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    19's help reduce scraping.

9. sdiamond

sdiamond Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2009
    Kildeer
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Seriously guys, prices back in the $30's ?

10. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Where?

11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    No....only in rare cases.

12. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    and ya gotta be fast.

sjd

13. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    How would the size of your rims change your ground clearance?

14. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    An '86 308? - How can that be? :confused:

Production of the 308 GTB/GTS series ended in 1985, when the 328 GTB/GTS series was introduced.

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    goose22b likes this.
  16. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian

LOL yeah, normal people like to keep their tire diameter close to stock size so speedo and everything are still correct. If your tire diameter is 26 inches and your rims are 15s then each sidewall would be 5.5". If you want to swap them out for 20" rims you just get the correct profile that keeps your overall tire diameter at 26". You end up with 20" of rim with 3" side walls. Same radius of 13" with whatever setup, hence same ride height.
    I know you were just joking with the pic and understand the concept but I'm shocked by how many people just don't get it.
    If you're doing it right the outside circumference of your tire stays the same and the sidewall just gets shorter the bigger the rim is.

17. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I must of had different sidewall then-- it always rubbed going in driveway with 17's. And never rubbed with the 19's.

Thanks for explaining it.