Working on headlights. How to leave them up? | FerrariChat

Working on headlights. How to leave them up?

Discussion in '348/355' started by bjwhite, Aug 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I need to change my headlights from RHD to LHD. How does one pop the headlights up and leave them there without disconnecting the battery?

2. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Look for the 7.5 amp fuses in the fuse block under the hood that power the motors. Turn on lights and then pop out those fuses.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

3. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    You turn on the headlights.

Alternatively, you unplug the headlights while they're up or unplug them while they're down and then turn the gear/motor know about one billion turns to make them come back up manually.

Can't imagine why you would not disconnect the battery. That's the safest way to work on them. Could be quite ugly if one of the goes down, for some reason, while you're working on them if they still have power.

4. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Turn them on, then turn the battery switch off.
    Those motors are strong, break and finger or damage your car if you have a screwdriver in there.

5. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    This.

6. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    +1

7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm confused. How are you changing RHD to LHD headlights? Am I missing the joke? :)

8. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #8 eulk328, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Beam patterns are different for LHD and RHD vehicles. Different parts #'s.

(different lamp assemblies NOT different bulbs)

9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thanks. I thought this was like blinker fluid :D

10. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #10 eulk328, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Blinker fluid is legit!

Actually on the Ricambi parts diagram they show a part number for the BULBS that lists USA & Canada but no other countries. Probably just the difference in naming. HB4 and 9006 are the same thing.

In "the old days" you could buy a sticker kit so you could block off a part of the beam pattern when driving in RHD UK with LHD headlamps. That way you could pass inspection. Don't believe this has been allowed anymore for some years. It was somewhat dangerous anyway as the purpose of angled peak is to light up the side of the road where the road signs are, be able see if there are animals on the side of the road etc. without blinding on-coming traffic.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    You can convert from LHD to RHD beam pattern without buying any new parts. You slacken off the three screws on the rear of the lamp assembly and rotate the bulb holder by the ten or so degrees allowed by the slots cut in the mount.

12. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
  13. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
  14. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Dear Lord... I hope there will be people around one day to fix this kind of stuff when it fails :)

15. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Are you sure that's not just for horizontal adjustment? Surely that procedure would be in the workshop manual if it's legit. Not saying it isn't - I've never looked. It seems very odd there would be a different part number for RHD if it were just a matter of a small rotation. It costs money to produce different parts for different markets and then stock them etc.

16. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I should be specific. My car is LHD but spent the last 17 years or so in the UK....and its lights are set up for, again to be specific, LHT...for RHD vehicles.

Since my car is LHD and is now in the US, it needs to be set up for RHT....for LHD vehicles.

:)

And you don't change the headlights--you just open them up and twist the plastic ring and they can switch between RHT and LHT. (LHD and RHD setups).

ANNNNdddd.....I forgot about the battery cut off switch. I just didn't want to dig down into the left front to remove battery cables from the battery..ugh.

Thanks everyone. Total newbie question..... :)

17. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    So that would mean Ferrari have different part numbers for the same headlamp assembly depending on rotation of that circular part when the screws are tightened. I guess that's possible and maybe even "Ferrari-like." :)

18. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Wow, now what's the trick to removing the headlights through the super small opening? My god....

Headlamp is free....off the three posts....but I can't quite figure out how to actually remove the thing from the car through that opening. Any tricks?

19. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
  20. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #20 eulk328, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Very interesting. Don't see any mention of it in the workshop manual but that would be more for the owner's manual.

I'm wondering if the rotation just removes "the peak" so as not not to blind on-coming drivers (just changes to a flat beam pattern). In that case it would likely just be meant as a temporary measure (like putting stickers on the lamp in the old days).

Some rotation before and after photos, at night against a wall, would be nice to see!

21. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I'd be happy to if I could get these buggers out!

22. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    If I'm understanding your question correctly...
    1st; tape off EVERYTHING, especially the front valence. 2 Phillips screws per side of light are removed, front retainer can be lifted/angled out. Some light casings will then pop out the upper side of light box, some won't. My left side was a bugger... I ended up loosening the 4 retaining mounting bolts that are accessed behind(very small space... need proper ratchet spanners/tools for this... 13mm I believe)). That allowed more 'flexibility' and the lamp removal was easy. The engineer involved with headlight design should have been sentenced to replacing every/any 348 light bulb... just stupid!
    DO NOT PRY....LOL

23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Is the beam pattern really that different? I just drove home in the dark and I was leaning my body toward the passenger seat to attempt to see a difference. I could not. All I know is the 355 lights suck :)

24. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    These aren't your crappy US-spec headlights. :)

25. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I can't see how to get the headlight out from between the front nose band and the top of the headlight door. Unless one removes the headlight door from the bar connected to the motor to "overextend" the doors up so the light comes out easily.

Is that the procedure?