windshield mirror relocate/replace? | FerrariChat

windshield mirror relocate/replace?

Discussion in '348/355' started by watkinsgt, Aug 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    Gents. Has anyone relocated the windshield mirror so it's out of the way? Or replaced it with something smaller? Is it just me or does it generally block vision especially in tight curves with elevation changes. Annoying trying to peer around it while negotiating up a steep right hander. I'm conjuring a small rectangular convex mirror perhaps mounted on the map light binnacle between the visors. Less convenient looking rearward? Yeah. Worthwhile trade off? Maybe. Any experience or thoughts?

2. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I'm 6' 2" and TBH, I can't say that the rear view mirror was ever an issue in My 348 TS.

I could see the road ahead without any issues, including going into the bends, and I could see the road behind me just fine.

Having had BMW's with auto-dipping mirrors for a number of years, the only thing that took a bit of getting used to once more, was having to go back to manually dipping the mirror when being dazzled from behind, rather than it just dimming all by itself to do the job.

3. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    I'd really like to replace with a much smaller mirror, the stock mirror is so big and the rear windshield is so small it's a waste of front windshield real estate. I've asked the same question before but no one replied. Getting a new windshield put in soon, will let you know if I find a solution to the mirror issue.

4. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yes and yes. Between being 6' tall and my preferred seat position, the windshield mirror created a blind spot to my front right field of view.

I purchased a smaller mirror (thinner in height but roughly the same width) and mounted it up as high as I could get it on the windshield while still giving a clear view out the rear window.

There is a lot of vibration that goes through the windshield, so I would recommend a mirror that has some weight to it and a tight adjustment joint otherwise you will have a mirror that vibrates too much to be useful, as I experienced on my first go-round replacing the mirror.

5. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    Awesome! Do you recall where you got the mirror?

6. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Sorry, I don't - purchased it 11+ years ago; all I recall is it was a local auto parts store because I wanted to check them out in person. I checked the mirror and it's generic so I can't even offer up a brand. Just find a size/shape you like, make sure it has some weight to it and check that it has a stiff rotating joint. That will do the trick!

7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #7 308 GTB, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Same here, Phill, in my F355 Challenge. And I also have a roll cage and a windshield sun screen.

I need to have good fore and aft visibility on the track...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    Still interested in replacing the 355 interior mirror with something smaller. In photos the 360/430 mirror looks like it might be the ticket. Does anyone have the dimensions (height x width) of the 360/430 interior mirror? Are 355 and 360/430 mirror heads interchangeable - can they be swapped from stem to stem? Maybe I'll have to buy a couple of used ones and try it out.