'97 F355 Spider runs TERRIBLE after header swap | FerrariChat

'97 F355 Spider runs TERRIBLE after header swap

Discussion in '348/355' started by krazykarguy, Aug 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Hi all -

First of all, please note that I am consulting on this issue for my parents, and the car is 1,000 miles distant from me, so any requests to "jiggle this wire", and "check that connection" may need a 24h wait before being completed.

Now onto the issue:

The car is a 1997 355 Spider (gated). Knowing that the headers were OEM Ferrari and an unknown on this particular car, my father elected to replace them proactively with a set of FabSpeeds. The header blankets were also ordered and installed at the same time by a local shop.

As far as I know of the install, the oil tank was removed to facilitate the installation of the RH header.

When the car was returned it was running rough and was having idle issues, and smoking. It was assumed that the smoking was due to the oils built up on the inside and outside of the headers during production and installation. My dad drove it back to his house (~4-5 miles), under the assumption that the ECU was 're-learning' the new header parameters. When he got to the last few feet of the drive, the oil light illuminated, and he shut the car down immediately. A hot engine oil check showed that the oil level was correct (if not a tad high). Several subsequent starts resulted in less and less smoke around the car (a good sign), but the idle was miserable, and it definitely did not run correctly.

My dad and I spoke, and on the third restart, after waiting for the car to come to temperature (all gauges reading normal), he revved and held the RPMs at 3-4k, and there was a definite stumble going on. On a rev higher than 4k, my mother noted flames coming out the tail pipes and the 'slow down' light came on (because of course it did).

Also worthy of note: This particular car has had a CEL for a couple of months or so, giving the whole slew of O2 sensor and catalyst inefficiency codes. As I am not near the car, I am unsure if it is still throwing codes, or has any pending - but I'd bet money that nothing has changed in this particular piece of the equation.

At this point, we are thinking that all four O2 sensors were killed by the smoke... are we on the right path? I would assume that changing a header wouldn't suddenly cause the car to go berserk (as it is a hard part, not electronics).

P.S. - is anyone using the FabSpeed header blankets in addition to the headers themselves? I am curious for some feedback on these...

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    This is where you need to start. Read the codes and go from there. I doubt you are going to diagnose this from the telephone...

3. krazykarguy

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I will be up there in person on 9/1. I am hopeful it can be resolved by then so I'm driving the 355 instead of working on it.

I'll see if there are codes and post them here.

4. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

The smoke is coming from the blankets. I had blankets and they will smoke for the first few heat cycles and then will stop.

5. krazykarguy

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Well, that is good news.

Safe to assume that the smoke out the tailpipes will also subside as the production oils are burned off? This car had no smoking issues prior to the install.

6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    If the oil level is too high you will get smoke out the tail pipes due to the evap system.

7. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

The smoke will come off the blankets and out the rear deck vents pretty heavy the first few times the car is run. It will have a smell to it. The blankets won't cause smoke out your tail pipe.

8. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    removing the oil tank can help installation.. but to my knowledge it does not have to be removed..

indeed its normal for a new piece of any exhaust component to "smoke" but should go away promptly..

also perhaps if oil was topped up after install due to oil tank removal, the oil level could be too high.. it should not be passed the "hi" mark on the stick.. ideally a bit below or in the middle.

as for the flames coming out the exhaust.. is the car running test pipes or cats..?

despite the existing CEL you report was present.. if the car was otherwise running normal prior.. it is odd for this issue to pop up from a simple header swap..

im running Fabspeed headers, with no blankets, direct install no coating.. and have not had any issues at all..

9. krazykarguy

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I thought that the EVAP system was related to OBD2 fuel vapors/emissions, not oil... Are you referring to the crank vent system?

I am not familiar with dry sump cars, so it's definitely a lesson - how much oil in the tank is considered 'too' overfull?

Knowing that the tank must have been drained in order to pull it out, then re-filled after the installation was completed, I would assume a minor fluid level variance here.

10. krazykarguy

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    The car has cats that were replaced with Ferrari OEM in July 2014.

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #11 Dave rocks, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My apologies - typing too fast without proof reading....

Yes, "Crankcase emission" is what I'm talking about. I had smoke in one of my 355's when I bought it as the oil level was too high. I don't know how much was too high as I needed to change the oil anyway so I just did an oil change and filled it properly and the problem was resolved.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. krazykarguy

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    A further bit of information - my dad is replacing both rear O2 sensors as I type this. The bulb of the one on the RH side was very sooty (black).

During this operation - it was discovered that the replaced cats had O2 sensor extenders on the rear sensors. FabSpeed recommended removal of these.

13. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Could have been major overfill of the person who refilled did not know that reading of the oil level must be done while the engine is running or as soon as possible after the engine switch off.

14. krazykarguy

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Current CEL codes are as follows:
    P0432 Main Catalyst Efficiency (Bank 2) Below Threshold (max)
    P0422 Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (max)
    P0446 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve Malfunction (max)
    P0454 Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Intermittent

However, the EVAP codes (thanks, Dave for the jinx ;-) are new. Previously (prior to header install), he was getting both front/rear O2 sensor and cat efficiency errors on both banks all at once.

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Your mechanic is responsible for this mess he created. Take it back. Does he work on Ferrari? Likely not since he removed the oil tank unnecessarily. I can see removing the oil cooler, but not the tank. Either way, my guess is he overfilled the oil.

Krisatcruz likes this.
  16. krazykarguy

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Would overfull oil cause the terrible running as described??

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    What kind of CAT's are on the car?

18. krazykarguy

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #18 krazykarguy, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Again - I don't have eyes on the car - but assumed to be Ferrari OEM replacements. They were replaced in July, 2015 at FCI in Greensboro, NC.

At the same time, both exhaust temp sensor ECUs were replaced. It got new spark plugs a year prior.

I have no records of the O2 sensors having ever been replaced.

EDIT: Just confirmed that the 7/15 replacements were OEM.

19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    You need to verify the CATs are OK. The post CAT O2's could be bad and giving a false reading of the CAT efficiency. Might be worth getting a visual on the CATs. If they are shot, you have bigger issues. Might also want to smoke test the exhaust for leaks.

I typically don't make this statement but all of our comments are just a guess based on the limited info. You need to get into this when you can touch the car or have someone qualified do so. Lots of factors here that can cause these issues.

20. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    overfilled would be, at full operating temp.. the oil level is beyond the "hi" mark on the stick..

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes, the excess oil is sucked into the combustion chamber fouling the plug in a major way leading to misfiring and nasty cat issues down stream.

22. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    Sounds like the CATS are toast

23. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico