348 reliability VS 328 reliability | FerrariChat

348 reliability VS 328 reliability

Discussion in '348/355' started by Adeotec, Jun 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adeotec

Adeotec Karting

May 11, 2004
    Philadelphia PA
    I understand that the scheduled maintenance on a 348 is much more expensive, but what I am asking about is the unscheduled maintenance. I would assume that since the 348 is a more modern and newer car it would be less likely to break. Is the 348 more reliable? When something on the 348 does break, is it much more expensive than a similar repair on a 328. Thanks for the replies.

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Not matter what Ferrari you own the parts are always a rip off.

The reason the 348 is more expensive to maintain is because the engine has to come out to change the belts, cam seals, cam o-rings, and water pump. So you are paying more in labor.

3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I have driven my 348 for about a year-and-a-half now. Just turned 40K miles today. Other than a couple of items right when I bought it that needed repairs, it has been as reliable as any car I've owned. Start and go. I don't know if 328's are like that, but I can tell you my 308 wasn't as reliable - needed a lot more "tinkering."

4. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You would be wrong in your assumption. 328's are widely regarded as the mosy reliable Ferraris ever built. 348's were an entirely new design and had a number of glitches, especially early ones. Many of the problems were electrical in nature. Do a search, this subject has come up often on the site.

Dave

5. Cincy Ken

Cincy Ken Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Cincinnati
    I wish I had more definitive data, but my gut feel is that the new cars incorporate more software and microcontroller stuff that just makes ongoing maintenance more difficult.

6. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    But the 348s are still relatively simple cars without too many electronic gizmos. Like the 328 was an updated 308 with a lot of learning gone into it... a later 348 should be very reliable as the early glitches have been sorted.

7. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    I would bet that the 328 is a more reliable car and less expensive to maintain then a 348. But I think the difference is a minimal amount and should not affect your desicion on which one to buy. Go with what your heart and your gut tell you....Ferrari maintenance is ferrari maintenance, its not cheap. I know the 348 has a self-diagnostic system...which is nice....not sure about the 328.

8. Adeotec

Adeotec Karting

May 11, 2004
    Philadelphia PA
    Thanks for the replies. The reason I am asking is because I am considering purchasing of either car. I want to buy the car that will spend the least amount of time in the shop. I may be looking at an early 348 instead of the later ones.

9. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Fact:

The 328 is the most reliable Ferrari ever built.

Fact #2:

The 348 is nowhere close to being the most reliable Ferrari ever built!

:D

10. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Dave hit the nail on the head!

11. PassionIsFerrari

Aug 15, 2004
    both are great cars. 328 has that classic look, with gorgeous lines. 348 is a modern looking car. They both scream Ferrari. I would own both of them if I could. I love the 328....I just love the 348 more. One day I hope to put a 328 in the stable, or at least a 308. You are going to get a significant more amount of performance out of a 348.

12. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    My 328 is very reliable and I've been told likewise on this site but can not say the same on 348 as a few owner friends have been complaining. IMO 328 has the classic ferrari look and very reliable.

13. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Why at least a 308,the 328 IMO was a backward step for Ferrari in the looks department with that butt ugly front end and naff interior.

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Now I prefer the front end design of the 328, but that's in comparison with the U.S.-spec 308 with its "butt ugly" bumpers!

As for 348s, I've heard to avoid the '90s because of first-year woes and stick to cars built in '91 or later.

15. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I don't know about first years woes, but you definitely will have to deal with first year Whoa's!!!!
    BT

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm also researching Ferrari's, hoping to purchase one this summer. My budget would cover anything in the 308-348 range. When I told one high-line dealer that I was looking for a 308 or 328, he said I should stretch to a 355. After I told him my comfortable price range, he backed off, as much as a car dealer can, and said "328 or 355".

An independent F-mechanic in LA has said that the 328's, and the last of the QV 308's, were very reliable by Ferrari standards.

Having had more modern and newer Mercedes and BMW's have all kinds of electrical and computer glitches (owned both at the same time), I'm actually looking forward to making my weekend car something a bit older.

17. PassionIsFerrari

Aug 15, 2004
    I like the front bumper on the 328 a lot better. If price was not a factor, I would go with a 328....but the 328 prices have been soaring....which tends to lean me more to the 308

18. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree with you in terms of aesthetics, to the point where I want a 308 more than I want a 328. But the 328 is a notch up the performance and refinement ladder, and the 348 is an even bigger change. So, "at least" seems to reference that.

With respect to the original post, though, a newer Ferrari isn't necessarily more reliable than its predecessor. If the question is strictly about reliability and cost of repairs, the 308QV/328 probably fares better than the average 348.

19. amorepresto

amorepresto Karting

Jul 14, 2004
    NE Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have had a lot of problems with my 91 348 from the get go. It all started when my uncle, with a cool car hauler transported my 91ts “garage queen” home.
    The first issue I did to myself, by setting the parking brake too tight. I bent the bracket that holds the switch in place. That wasn’t too bad; I had to loosen a few screws, and a pair of pliers later it was fixed.
    Then the costs really started to mount up, the door lock on the drivers side stopped working. It took me over eight hours of my labor, plus nearly 75 dollars to fix the problem. Nineteen cent for a broken “C” clip plus 5 bucks in gas to get to the auto parts store plus another 60 bucks for Red Lobster for the wife & myself.
    Next were the taillights! A fellow motorist followed me to the Diary Queen to inform me my Brake lights were not working. After thanking “her” and declining the offer for her to follow me home. I attempted to analyze the problem myself. Lucky for me the first thing I checked was the fuse box and you know what there was a blown 5-amp fuse where a 15 amp should have been. Back to the auto parts store another 5 bucks down the drain, plus they made me buy a pack of 6 each 15 amp fuses and not just one.
    Now, just the other day the next problem occurred with the seatbelts from hell. The light bulb burned out, damn another 69 cents down the drain! So, what’s my point! Define reliability please!
    My 348-cheese grater has got me where I’ve been going every time & back again.
    For god sake it’s a Ferrari! And you know what the 348 is one hell of an automobile as long as your under 130 miles a hour or so. Dave

20. jlm348

jlm348 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2002
    Scottsdale + LA
    Full Name:
    Jean-Louis
    As I have said many times my 348 is the best sportscar I have ever owned.
    I have owned it 35 months or 16,000 Miles.
    I have performed a major service (its first when purchased) and a minor service recently. Both services took a total of 3 weeks.
    The only other time the car has been in the shop was for 4 oil changes and 2 rear and 1 front tire change.
    I highly reccomend having a trusted mechanic that you choose inspect the car before purchasing. Prior to buying mine I had inspected 2 other cars that the owner said were pretty good which after a mechanic inspected turned out to be complete junk.
    So Far
    Mechanical and tire Cost of ownership about $8000.00 which comes out to be about $.50 Cents a mile.
    Insurance comes out to be about .30 cents a mile.
    Gas comes out to be about $.15 Cents a mile
    So when people say that Ferrari Ownership is about $1.00 a mile they are not kidding.

21. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    "knock on wood" my 94 348 runs friggin great, other than minor probs, like parking brake adjustments, and the passenger seatbelt mouse didnt work for a week , its been scary reliable!the 308 or 328 looks like a great classic ferrari, and the 348 still looks somewhat modern , and unmistakably ferrari , with the door strakes..cant miss it. go for a 93 or 94 348 . they are the better of the bunch...
    (please Murphy dont let your law come to get me -because i posted this-im having too much fun with this car)

22. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    $4,800 for insurance over 3 years?!

I went with Met Life for full coverage (collission, theft, vandalism, etc.) plus $300k in liability (plus "uninsured" motorist coverage) for $790 per year. Unlimited miles, unlimited usage for my 1994 348 Spider.

Grundy quoted $801 for the above, but with limits on driving (no errands, can't drive to work), while LeLand West quoted me $605 per year (but with a 5,000 mile limit).

I had used Leland West before back when I had my 1995 Corvette convertible ($395 per year for full coverage), but Met Life's deal for my 348 was sweeter (no limits on mileage).

You just need a good credit score, no speeding tickets (last 5 years), and no wrecks to qualify for the above.

23. jlm348

jlm348 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2002
    Scottsdale + LA
    Full Name:
    Jean-Louis
    NO Doubt
    I have a perfect driving record and muti car and muti policy discount.
    Insurance is just a little more expensive in Los Angeles.
    I'm sure Gas is as well a litttle more expensive at 2.70 a gallon right now.

24. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    J-L, my heart bleeds for you... we are on the equivalent of $7 a gallon over here :D

25. jlm348

jlm348 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2002
    Scottsdale + LA
    Full Name:
    Jean-Louis
    Burianna
    I know the UK is very hi right now for gas prices. It is a true shame.
    My point was that in different parts of the world or country there are different prices for the same things.