AIR CON in a 348 | FerrariChat

AIR CON in a 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by Benzino, Jul 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Benzino

Benzino Karting

Jul 6, 2005
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Phil
    ....had mine converted to new gas...is cold...but the blower motor on full aint exactly powerful????...I dont think there is a problem as the check up would have revealed it....So to sum up very cold air but dont really have enuff go to make you cool...any one else have the same feeling??...Is this just another poor componant?

Its annoying as when its hot i have to take the Jag..LOL.

2. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    My AC doesn't blast when on full power either...but neither does my 93 Blazer...So chaulk it up to 'its 15 years old'. AC blows cold and it will keep the cockpit plenty cool...its just not immediate, however the AC on 348 is FULLY able to cool the cockpit and keep it keep it cool, it just doesnt happen in the first minute like my BMW.

3. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Just got mine back after being regassed - yeah its cold, but you'd have to stick your face against the vents to get cool. Completely rubbish and damn annoying sound. The worrying thought is that I've got a long hot drive to Monaco in September, so I'd better prepare for the worst.

4. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    It helps if you turn off the vents on the passenger side...it will force more air on the drivers side..

5. sweetspotav

sweetspotav Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    John Cawley
  6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

All... by the end of the week, I think I'll have a "348 Chillin' Brotherhood Bonus Pack" that contains a compressor, receiver/dryer, and expansion valve -- all brand new, for a decent price -- inclusive of shipping. Give me until about Friday to get everything put together. I'm targeting a delivered cost of about <$750 for the whole deal (when purchased as a kit).

FWIW, I drove 100 miles today in 95 degree weather again. Top up, windows up, wearing shorts and a long sleeve polo shirt. Perfectly comfortable. In fact, I let a buddy drive my car for the last portion of the rally, and my feet actually got a bit chilled from the passenger side foot vent!

Also, let me confess... I do *not* have a functional recirculation flap on my airbox. So, all my observations are with the system running "open" to fresh air.

:)

7. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    #7 348paul, Jul 24, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The picture below shows prime suspect number 1 :)

There will be icicles hanging from the rear view mirror once its fixed !!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt

Ditto!! Did the same fix with the "Hill Piece" works great.

9. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Paul - how much, how do you fit it, how does it work??? blah blah

many thanks

Jules

10. Markie1949

Markie1949 Karting

Apr 4, 2005
    Utah
    Paul of course, is correct. For those of you who don't wish to manufacture your own flapper valve drive connector, he offers his wonderful brass replacement. For those of you who wish to tinker, I made a replacment starting with a surplus 1/4 in. drive long socket, 7 or 8 mm. for the motor end and grinding the required "D" shape into the other end. Cut to the correct length, it has my flapper valve operating perfectly, and my a/c is keeping up in 100 degree heat.

11. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    We need a more powerful fan. Like you say, the air itself is cold enough...it just doesn't always reach us when the top is down!

12. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    Jules,

It basically replaces the broken plastic piece you can see in the picture. It’s amazing how many of these cars have them broken and not every one knows that the recirculation is not working.

They are on the website under Miscellaneous

http://www.customferrariparts.com/homemainferrari.htm

"RC-348 - 348/355 Air Re-circulation boss "

Fairly easy to fit once the shroud in the boot is out of the way - just a couple of screws to get the small motor off and then the recirc flap can come out - shake out the old broken bit, replace with the "RC-348" and refit. Makes one hell of a difference to the A/C when the recirc works! :)

Cheers

Paul

13. littleblackflash

Jan 29, 2005
    Hi Paul

Is there an easy way to access the flap and how can I test mine easily. Hope its not a dash out job

Thanx Dunx

14. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Paul

ta - i'll be taking a look this weekend (although the weather looks pretty bad)

15. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    Just open the front hood and look into the air box - get someone to press the recirculation button on the A/C panel (with the ignition on!) and if yours is working you should see the flap move from one position to the other (the flap moves approx 90 degrees)

Paul

16. Paresh

Paresh Karting

Oct 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Paresh
    Help me fix the Recirculation flap issue. Found mine laying in the box with the black tab broken. Please let me know how to fix it. I know Ricambi carries the Hill brass part in motor. I feel around and can not find where it may have broken off from. Also, I continue to have the E3 error randomly pop up even though I did the recommended fix. I want to fix both issues before selling the vehicle this summer. Thanks!!!