Suspension warning light. What's it mean? | FerrariChat

Suspension warning light. What's it mean?

Discussion in '360/430' started by zippyslug31, Feb 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Another person started a related thread in the Technical forum, but it's not getting many views so I would like to pose a question to those who drive the cars.... specifically related to my experience with a 2000 360 Modena.

Anybody else seeing the suspension warning indicator? It is the symbol of a car with little triangle/arrows pointing up at the wheels.
    Do the 360's have a low tire pressure warning system? If so, could this be what it's trying to tell me?

I have non-OEM wheels (19's and 20's) and am unsure if it's related to these or if I have a legitimate suspension problem.
    The owners manual is not terribly specific or helpful with their explanation.

thanks in advance.

2. davo

davo Rookie

Apr 28, 2007
    grimsby lincolnshire
    Full Name:
    paul davidson
    hi have been running my year 2000 modena for a year now with the same problem the suspension light stays on nearly all the time but occasionally goes out this in my case is a suspension ecu /sensor may be possibly just wiring connection on offside rear unfortunately without sd2 its a case off remove replace expensive on the f car .

3. cEd4jets

cEd4jets Rookie

Jan 30, 2008
    Sanibel Island, FL
    Full Name:
    Ed
    That was me who posted in the technical forum and I'm still trying to figure it out. Mine comes on usually after 5-10 minutes of driving and it doesn't seem to matter what I am doing - fast, slow, accelerating, braking, cornering and then stays on until shut down. Start it up again and the same happens. I can't feel any problems with the shocks. It is annoying me enough to take it to a dealer with a computer. I'll let you know what I learn after.

4. frvett

frvett Rookie

Feb 2, 2008
    Hi Ed
    I am having the same problem with the suspension warning light on a 2000 360 not many replys to this thread and no answers. I have 19,500 miles and had the car as new in 2000. It started about 1000 miles ago. If anyone finds out or knows what causes this indication please e-mail me at [email protected] in vero beach Florida.

Thanks PETER

5. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    FYI, I had it happen on a 2002 550 Maranello and took it in to dealer. They had to replaced the shock.
    Woody

6. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    I find it odd that owners will drive their cars staring at computer warning lights either hoping they'll go away or thinking it's a false alarm. I guarantee posting inquiries about this will not solve your problem. Another owners experience and or diagnoses may be completely unrelated to yours. Go to the dealer and have it properly diagnosed.

7. toshiba

toshiba Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Santa
    I'm just hoping my car doesn't do this right when I get it

like someone said, get it checked out, or wait for the other guy to say what it is, but I would suggest to take a 100k+ car to get checked out and pay the $75 bucks.

8. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    I had the same problem with my F355B a few years back. It was a broken "thingy", the red circular thing that sits on top of the shock absorber which adjusts the damping. Sorry, the "thingys" name has escaped me!

9. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    I believe your referring to the actuators.

10. numisrx

numisrx Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2007
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I have a '99 with 22k, Mine started doing that and we (hopefully) traced it down to 3 sensors relating to acceleration/deceleration. Along with a bunch of other work, they are currently being replaced and I should know in a couple of weeks... after I get my car back and get to drive it a bit.

11. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    That's the thingy!

12. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Recently had the same problem on my 2000 360 modena.

Called the dealer. He said it was probably an actuator on one of the corners of the suspension, and that it had more to do with being in sport mode than in regular driving mode, that I couldn't do any damage to the car but to get in with it as soon as I could.

Turned out to be a body accelerator sensor, which they replaced under warranty (I had just bought the car and it had a 90 day warranty.)

But, the warning lights are there for a reason. I would guess it goes on for a failed shock, suspension actuator or this body accelerator sensor.

Oh, if you have to buy those parts the actuators are (I'm told) about a grand each.

DM

13. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    I have found them for £140/$280 here in the UK if you need one. Apparently they are a piece of p!ss to fit!

14. 68rcodemustang

68rcodemustang Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Mullet
    my 2000 360 does the same thing. When it happens my suspension goes rock hard.

15. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    I lowered my 430 spider and the suspension light did come on till the computer re-learned the new height. Yes some cars come with tire pressure monitoring system but you could have a suspension issue. Aftermarket wheels larger than stock wheels is probally the issue. I would take the car to RTGT just to have them check into it for you to be on the safe side

Mike

16. numisrx

numisrx Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2007
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Mine also, from my understanding that is typical. It was so rough that at I times I would pull over and shut off to reset the suspension.

17. jais

jais Karting

May 27, 2005
    ATL
    I just got the "Suspension Warning" message driving home from dinner. Did a search (which is how I found this thread) but I don't see any responses to a 430. Any 430 owners ever get this message? Not sure if these two things are related but, earlier in the day I had a strange thing happen. I started the car and as I was leaving the parking space it sounded like I was dragging something. The car was very sluggish and felt like was going to stall. I pull over and it did stall. I restarted and everything was fine. That doesn't sound like a suspension problem though. Humm, strange.

Oh well, timing is good because the car is due for a service.

18. 68rcodemustang

68rcodemustang Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Mullet
    just ignore it. Worked for me.

19. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Well, in my case with the 360, it turned out to be 2 bum sensors to the tune of about $750, IRRC.
    I wouldn't ignore it.

20. FLF360

FLF360 Rookie

Apr 3, 2013
    Hi, I had my suspension warning light sensor come on after having a stereo installed in my F360. could it be a wiring issue or something the car stereo have caused?

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It's possible. It's also possible that one of the sensors has gone.. the light means there is a problem with one of 3 sensors in the car. One is behind the front bumper, one in the engine bay on the right hand side beneath the trim panel, and one on teh passenger side of the car in front of the windshield. Alternatively, a connection to a shock might be out.. A simple scan with an SD2 or Leonardo will isolate the cause for you and reset it.

With the multiple components it can be a bit of a guessing game unfortunately. :(

22. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    My 2000 360 had the light come on after I installed a Parrot Bluetooth adapter. I disconnected and the problem goes away. connect and the light comes on. This does not made sense, as it is a plug and play install. No wires cut or power circuits added. I spent $750 getting it diagnosed. the tec found the problem by accident when he unplugged the radio

23. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    I've seen this a few times, some aftermarket stereo equipment causes electrical noise which finds its way through to the instrument pack. The suspensions electrical circuit seems to suffer when this happens.

24. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Is there a fix for this issue with stereo equipment causing problems back? Mine triggered a suspension light, and I think also messed with the reverse light switch. I'll try doing a power down cycle.

25. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    What's the function of body accelerator sensor?