Can a Ferrari F430 be used as a Daily Driver? Around 100 Miles a Week? | FerrariChat

Can a Ferrari F430 be used as a Daily Driver? Around 100 Miles a Week?

Discussion in '360/430' started by graveri, Jun 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. graveri

graveri Rookie

May 31, 2008
    I'm buying a new Ferrari F430 at MSRP! I was fortunate to get a invitation from the dealer. But if I make the jump, I want to be able to use it a a daily driver. Are F430's reliable enough to drive often?

I know old Ferrari's have problems. I heard new ones are more user friendly. Please give me some feedback?
    Thanks!

2. ejc0930

ejc0930 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Ethan Clark
    You are going to hear the same answer over and over again. If you take care of it like you should its no less reliable than your average car. the trick is having the money to take care of it like you should. :D

3. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    #3 Testacojones, Jun 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
    Any Ferrari from the '80s up to now can be daily drivers, I have done it.

The F430 can very easily be used daily, I did it with mine for the first six months, but bought another car (Porsche) which I drive daily, and the reason is because for me the F430 is a very expensive car. Everything works perfect on the F430, very comfortable and super reliable. I received mine on october '06 and has never ever given me a single problem, not a single one and I have 8,500 miles on it. I highly recommend a F430 for daily driver if anyone feels comfortable driving a $200k without any worries. Enjoy.

4. MrTheKid

MrTheKid Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jonny Pickens
    430 scuderia

30 days = 2200+ miles !

5. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yeah, there are times when it may be impractical but it's the best Ferrari to daily drive IMO.

I'd buy one as a DD if I had the money, til then my F355 is my DD.

6. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    No problem as a daily driver. Just as reliable as a Porsche. If I did not need to make mine last for the rest of my life I would use it as one also.

7. BarryL

BarryL Rookie

Jun 30, 2007
    Boca Raton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Dr. Barry Lehman
    #7 BarryL, Jun 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
    I drive my 07 430 Spider every day, about 200 miles per week. The car is comfortable and completely reliable but the gas mileage is terrible. The only issue for me is the difficulty of getting in and out of the car. Fortunately at age 60, I am able to do it without problem. Buy the car and drive it!!

8. jbdmd

jbdmd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Doc Jay
    If you are seriously asking then the answer is of course! It is a new car with a warranty

If what you are actually asking is: "Do many use theirs as a DD?" the answer is no.

If you got the cake to drive one you probably have the cake to take the hit on depreciation, maintenance cost, etc

I say drive it like a Honda.

9. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    i have had 2 F430's and both were/are daily drivers. A hell of a lot more than 100 miles per week too. 100 miles per week is called a Garage queen in my book. PLEASE do NOT buy one. If you want to drive something that little, get a Ford, you are not a Ferrari guy.

10. jais

jais Karting

May 27, 2005
    ATL
    +1

I drive mine right around 100 miles/week. It is surprisingly easy to drive daily. I also agree that you just need to be comfortable daily driving a +$200K car around, leaving it in various parking lots, etc. That is the bigger issue. But everytime I'm in one of my other cars and the weather is nice, I think to myself that I am missing an opportunity to be driving one of the greatest cars in the world.

11. Juggernaut84

Juggernaut84 Guest

Dec 22, 2007
    Somewhere in Cali
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I've asked this same question before previously, and yes I heard they are great daily drivers. Of course if they're maintained properly, it'll last you a lifetime. When I purchase my F430, I do plan on driving it daily myself granted if the weather permits it and if I can afford to of course. Speaking of driving an F430 like a Honda, I just so happen to be driving an S2000 as a daily driver right now. Not the most roomy car in the world, but reliable nonetheless. You only live once and sometimes it's short lived so enjoy it while you can. I've stated this before, "A true Ferrari is one that can be used for anything in any kind of situation". Best

12. sprite

sprite Karting

Jun 26, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    No problem using it as a daily. My current daily is a Gallardo SL with the F430 Spider as backup. Before that my daily was a Murcielago.

13. marakji

marakji Karting

Aug 19, 2007
    my scuderia will be my only car! and i live in Beirut! hehehe... sure you can have it as your daily drive, but like it says above, you gotta look after it...

14. mat

mat Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2006
    Warsaw/Lodz, Poland
    Full Name:
    Mateusz
    so it looks like new california is useless...?

15. marakji

marakji Karting

Aug 19, 2007
    BIG TIME useless... at least I think so!

16. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    In my experience, there are two problems that prevent me from driving my car more often:
    1. Driveways. The car is much lower than ordinary cars and avoiding scraping the front bumper is a constant struggle.
    2. Parking. Worries about dings and vandalism prevent me from parking the car in most places.

So instead of using it to pickup groceries, I track it about once a month.

17. stitch

stitch Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2008
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Charles
    #17 stitch, Jun 2, 2008
    Funny thing, I drive about 5 days in my 430, and if parking is an issue I take the Honda S2000. I found it really hard to downgrade to a car costing 10% of a 430. Plus I was taking abuse from valet's that normally kiss my a$$ waiting for a fat tip. So last night I picked up a Lexus IS-F to split 50-50 as a daily, based on another Fchatter's advice. Damn, that thing is FAST - 416 hp in a very light set up. And the paddle shifters, although I understand are not true auto manual like the ferrari's, are WAY faster than the 430's. I'll see which car I end up driving more often - just got the ISF last night.

18. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #18 RossoCorsaItaly, Jun 2, 2008
    1. Take it at an angle, you can usually avoid scraping the car anywhere unless it's an extremely steep driveway.

2. Definately an issue but if you can park far and are in safe areas, you'll generally be okay. Now in crowded areas I'm not too sure as I live in Oklahoma.

19. RonnieF430Spider

RonnieF430Spider Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Ronnie C
    07 F430 Spider. My only car. Bought it new 5 months ago. 8000+ miles. Case closed.

Alex HH likes this.
  20. marksp

marksp Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2006
    Redmond, WA
    Cheers!

21. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    I though I ha a lot of miles on my 06' 430 (18,160 miles to date).....but There is a guy in my area that has over 45K on his 430

22. MikeA

MikeA Karting

Nov 23, 2004
    Los Gatos
    I sure hope it can be used as a daily driver. That's what I am doing with mine. I have 47,000 miles on my 2003 Maserati
    Spyder, and 2,800 miles on my new 2008 F430 after 2 1/2 months. I get depressed if I have to drive something else
    besides the 430, like for parking at the airport for a few days, or for trips to Home Depot.

23. ntingle

ntingle Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick Tingle
    I have 2 cars: Lotus Elise and F430 Spider. I drive the Lotus more for mundane trips - grocery store etc - where parking is an issue (it's so small it's easy to find a parking spot). It also gets way better gas mileage (24 vs. 10 or whatever) but makes the F430 seem easy to get in & out of. I do have trouble explaining to people why I sold an M5 when the F430 arrived, not the Lotus. But there are always the wife's cars...

24. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    "I do have trouble explaining to people why I sold an M5 when the F430 arrived"

Are you kidding me???

25. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I kept the M5 for a daily driver. I am not about to park my F car out in our parking lot or need my employees to walk by it every day