Any F430 owners have their exhaust manifolds go bad? | FerrariChat

Any F430 owners have their exhaust manifolds go bad?

Discussion in '360/430' started by kjb374, Jun 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kjb374

kjb374 Rookie

Nov 20, 2005
    So I go to the dealer to have my trans bushing replaced on my 2007 F430 and by complete surprise I was told that one of my exhaust manifolds were leaking. So Ferrari has decided to replace both. Looked up the cost of EACH and WOW $5,100 plus gaskets and labour! Thank goodness for the warranty! Anybody else have this problem? Best Regards!

2. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    Yep, it happened to me as well. Mine was also done under Warranty.

3. kjb374

kjb374 Rookie

Nov 20, 2005
    Do the new ones look any different and have you noticed any differences in power?

4. RonnieF430Spider

RonnieF430Spider Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Ronnie C
    Ferrari has had a manifold problem on the 430 since inception to the present. The dealers just received a bulletin from FNA stating that there is a new supplier o manifols and all manifolds to be replaced from now on will come from the new supplier (new design). If only one manifold is bad, both will b replaced. This has been the biggest problem by far for Ferrari with the 430.

5. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Just curious, what symptoms did you have for you trans bushing that required replacement?

Also, did you have any symptoms for the bad manifold? e.g., pronounced ticking sounds, etc...

Thanks! - Tim

6. kjb374

kjb374 Rookie

Nov 20, 2005
    HiTim:

I did hear some strange noises but actually thought nothing of it because they were so subtle. When I received the bulliten from my dealer that the bushings needed to be replaced, I took it in. The tech showed me the old bushing and it was torn to shreads! The new bushing I was told is the SAME as the old one. Go figure. With regard to the manifolds, I personally didn't hear anything irregular. I guess from what the tech stated, that the exhaust sound slowly gets louder and louder. That being said, you should take your car in to have the new bushing and exhaust if it's needed.

Best to you!

7. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    During routine service, they noticed that the flange was cracked and replaced both manifolds.

8. kjb374

kjb374 Rookie

Nov 20, 2005
    Pretty much. The tech noticed a different exhaust note and pulled the manifolds. The problem lies inside the area that is covered by the insulative metal shieldinig and not on the areas that actually bold up to the head. I guess to see the problem, one would have to remove the metal shielding.

9. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    If you wait until you hear an usual noise it could be too late. The Gear Box Mounting Bushing is factory campaign #280. which effects the F430 Coupe and Spider's from the start of production up to and including assembly #74429.

10. Joe 575

Joe 575 Karting

Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal/Carmel
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My right outboard exhaust tip broke off at the hanger and in the repair process discovered manifold was cracked so both were replaced under warranty.

11. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    The DEFINING problem on the 355 was the exhaust manifolds; virtually every owner I knew (including myself) had to replace one or both. No such problem on my 360 or CS, or others I know of. So why is this same kind of problem cropping up on the 430. What's going on in that engine that cracks them.

12. Ferrari_Michael

Ferrari_Michael Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2006
    I had this on two of my F430 in the past (none of the newer ones). One was just really really noisy on a cold start, once they warmed up they were OK, the second I didnt even notice, the car was having F1 issues, E-Diff light, the little red gearbox light, the works, and they mentioned the manifolds needed doing aswell. Warranty has covered all issues in my F430's so far the warranty always seems to take care, very comprehensive, always seem reasonable when it comes to sharing the costs aswell, I remember my de-mister suddenly stopped working and I bounced off a kerb, no real damage but buckled a wheel and popped a tyre. Fair enough Ferrari response was I should have stopped driving, which I should have, but they offered to cover the cost of the wheel, labour and recoverey if I paid for the tyre, aswell as fixing the de-mister issue.
    I never have the cars long so they cost me very little, although if I did have one a while a Power Warranty would DEFINATLY be worth it!!! Shame its not avalible on the Enzos.

Best
    Michael J

13. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    No problem here yet.

14. JoeT

JoeT Karting

Jun 16, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Joe T
    Just recieved my 07 F430 F1 back from the dealer yesterday for the second time, they replaced the Gear Box Mounting Bushings (the first visit) but could not replace the left side Exhaust Tips that were rattling because the new "third generation" Tips (part # 231543 which replaces # 240829) according to my dealer were on back order from Italy? I then received an email from FNA asking about my service and I informed them about the back ordered part and that I was not a happy camper because I was not going to drive the car with a rattle. The next day I received a call from my dealer who picked my car up and temporarily tap welded the tips so that they would not rattle until the new part came in. Anyone else experience this? What about the right side tips?
    JT

15. MARIOF430

MARIOF430 Karting

May 8, 2007
    Portland ,Or.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I was told that mine (both sides) were starting to show signs of faliure and at the end of summer when it goes in for new fluids they will recheck the manifolds and most likely replace them!

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    No, the DEFINING problem on the 355 was and are valve guides made of inferior metal.

17. wheredidtheygo

wheredidtheygo Karting

Jan 23, 2006
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Michael C.
    yes was replaced no charge to me.. Same sound as when the 355 did it..

18. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin

well, it was the exhaust manifold too. Well, it was both intake, exhaust manifold and valve guides that were the 3 known problems areas with the 355.

19. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    My 06 spider had them replaced at 4,000 miles and a buddy of mine has had his done 2 or 3 times on his 05 coupe.

20. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Is Ferrari still using Ansa as the oem supplier? After the 355 problems with not only the exhaust manifolds, but the poor quality cats (also made by Ansa), Ansa should have gotten a giant kick in the rear as they were shown the door.
    ;)

I'm sure Tubi, Capristo or one of the many other quality suppliers out there would have happily taken their place.

21. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    i was told my manifolds needed replacing when i had my bushing replaced as well!!! Exactly the same story! i never noticed a problem with the exhaust. had 7,000 miles on my '05 430. repair was done free, vehicle was still under warranty.

22. TFord

TFord Rookie

Jul 8, 2008
    My manifolds were also replaced under warranty. Another gotcha to be wary of is the clutch. If your clutch starts slipping or not shifting at all with paddle shifters, and/or reverse doesn't engage, take your car in immediately, it's a software glitch and if you don't get it fixed immediately, you'll fry the clutch shortly thereafter and it isn't covered under warranty. I learned the hard way (i.e. $8K later). My buddy had the exact same issue, but got his fixed in time.

23. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    Weren't the clutch and bearing problematic too?

24. rossocorsa

rossocorsa Karting

Jan 29, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Colin
    On the GT2 430's the manifolds which are manufactured by tubi are lifed at 5000 km's.....