F1 Transmission | FerrariChat

F1 Transmission

Discussion in '360/430' started by califf, Jun 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. califf

califf Rookie

May 16, 2010
    I just bought a 2001 Ferrari 360 Spider with an F1 tranny. The car currently has 30,000 miles on it. When I brought it home from the dealership it would not go into reverse from neutral. So I had a PIS adjustment done and was told it needs a new clutch. What is the likelihood I have a problem with the F1 transmission itself? Does the F1 have a life expectancy or tend to have any particular problems. Do the F1 pumps tend to go out? Additionally, are there any reputable technicians in the Augusta, GA area who can do an independent inspection of my vehicle?

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    F1 transmissions are probably the 2nd most asked question; the first is 'what price'. A quick search will provide a serious amount of information.

At 30K it may well need a clutch. No surprise there. There are a bunch of potential issues including pumps, actuators, adjsutment, & wear. Having said that, the system is pretty solid and if set up right it will give you very reliable service for MANY years.

I would post in the regional section for a good independent mechanic in your area. Asking about a PPI after you buy the car is closing the barn door after the horse got out. Unless they gave you a warranty whatever is there is your issue now.

Anyway, good luck with the car and welcome to Fchat.

3. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
  4. califf

califf Rookie

May 16, 2010
    I need an independent inspection of my vehicle for peace of mind. I need to know what I am dealing with here. Tonight, the parking lights stayed on and I cannot turn them off! I wonder if my battery will be dead by the morning! I need help from a competent, independent technician. Thank you.

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    As I recall, even if you turn off the key the parking lights will stay on if they are turned on. Sorry I don't do it often enough to remember that detail 100% and I didn't go check. Headlights are a different story, they go off with the key. Hopefully this is just a minor operator error.

These cars are VERY sensitive to low voltage and voltage spikes. Definitely DO NOT jump start the car unless you want to replace expensive stuff like the instrument cluster. If you run the battery down turn off the battery switch, take the battery and charge it, then put it back, turn on the power switch, and start the car. Be sure to let it idle and do the self learn. Given all of that, if you parking lights are stuck on I would turn off the battery switch in the trunk until I can get it to a shop for proper diagnosis.

6. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Totally agree, especially on jumping the car. I did jump my car once and it blows the voltage regulator on my alternator. It took me several tests to determine that the alternator was bad. Everything was fine when I tested the system with the meter but when I accelerate the car the all the lights pop up on the cluster. I was lucky that I don’t damage any instruments when I jump the car and I was lucky that when the alternator was allowing more voltage to the system it does not blow the EUC.
    Be careful with electrical problems and like Brian once told me, there are not very talented technicians on troubleshooting electrical problems at Ferrari shops.

Good luck.

7. tazz99

tazz99 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    A worn clutch on a 360 will cause all sorts of weird things to happen, one of the more common ones is it dropping to neutral on up shifts. The pump itself is reliable but the relay controlling it is not and tends to burn and stick closed causing the pump to run constantly and burn out the motor.

I strongly recomend Ferrari Of Atlanta for service work. They will do it right.

8. Donie

Donie Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Spain/Ireland
    It has always been my contention in the case of F1 cars, that the PIS is set way too high from the factory, and this causes a lot of slippage, which naturally accelerates clutch wear.

Then, add to that, the fact that the clutch never really full engaged in reverse, so for any owner with a home situation that requires reversing in and out of driveway/garage there's a lot more wear.

However, in fairness, the overall transmission is pretty bulletproof, and there aren't many horror stories out there apart from the ubiquitous clutch problems.

I'd love to have the figures on the clutch pedal cars over the years for comparison.

9. tazz99

tazz99 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    You probably inadvertently hit the parking light switch on the center console near the end of the parking brake handle. When switched on it will keep the parking lights on. You won't be the first to have done that by accident :)

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Good idea/possibility. Did that myself once and took quite a while to sort it out. It was a couple of years ago so I had forgotten about it.

11. TALON30

TALON30 Karting

Jan 8, 2010
    I had my car checked out by them before I bought it. I talked to the service manager several times on several cars and he was always helpful. They went thru everything and also told me what they thought the car was worth. Not only did I get a good car I paid less for it.

12. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Boy that really stinks to have so many problems as soon as you bring it home. Good luck.

13. DrDoug

DrDoug Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Doug T
    Yeah, I bet you hit the "P" button on the center console. It's easy to do and you'll be scratching your head trying to figure out why the parking lights are on. Ask me how I know. It took me a few minutes of trying to turn on / off the headlights before I finally figured out that I had depressed the P button.

14. califf

califf Rookie

May 16, 2010
    OK.....All is well with the parking lights. I had inadvertently hit the switch on the center console :)
    The issue with the transmission not going into reverse from neutral after driving it for a while is still present, and was not fixed by the PIS adjustment. However, that issue may be (hopefully) due to the clutch needing to be replaced soon. As long as there is nothing wrong with the transmission itself, I can live with a clutch replacement in the near future. The car was bought at a very fair price. I still want Ferrari of Atlanta to give the car a good inspection. That is more for peace of mind than anything. Hopefully all is well, we'll see.

15. Juri

Juri Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Juri
    #15 Juri, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
    Hi, reading this thread should be helpful to you:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...=F1+pump+relay

Cheers.
    JG

16. Akram

Akram Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2009
    Clive, Iowa
    Full Name:
    Ray Salloum
    On a related topic, I bought a 2001 F1 360, 9 months ago. It had 7000 miles on it and the PPI indicated that the clutch life was at 51%. The car is jumping into neutral now, when it warms up, about 4 miles of driving. I have put 1500 miles on it since the purchase, could the clutch be shot already. Could the clutch of gone from 51% to shot in just 1500 miles?

17. Juri

Juri Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Juri
    It all depends what setting was made using an SD3 tester/programming device before you purchased the car... the clutch wear reading can be reset to 100% new at any time and almost at any degree of the clutch wear. I had the same problem - my clutch was never changed, but when I purchased my car - it read 91% remaining... As it appeared 6 months later when the clutch started slipping, the readings of 51% were showning up when the clutch was actually almost toally worn out... But after 6 months, it was hard to proove anything to the dealer... I'v learned my lesson...

18. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    out of curiosity both my cars maserati/ferrari have a parking light button.. what is the bloody point of 2 parking light buttons (on the headlight control and a seperate button)

WHAT IS WITH THESE INSANE ITALIANS AND THEIR LOVE OF PARKING LIGHTS?!??!

does anyone here actually USE the parking lights via that button? what is the difference?!

19. Akram

Akram Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2009
    Clive, Iowa
    Full Name:
    Ray Salloum
    So Im going to have a new clutch put in by the dealership on my 2001 360 Spider. What do I want to tell them to set the PIS at and or do I want to change the TCU to the Challenge TCU while I am at it? Also what is a fair price for a clutch job?

20. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    I learned form the previous owner that while traveling, transmission died. He had to replace it.
    Do you think this is a common fault? I am thinking that the dealer grabbed the chance to make some extra cash