430 challenge centerlock wheels for Scud | FerrariChat

430 challenge centerlock wheels for Scud

Discussion in '360/430' started by SSR, Jun 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    #1 SSR, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
    In the past I asked if anyone has installed Challenge CL wheels in 430,s or Scuds.
    I am about to install my kit this week and I will like some feedback etc...

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Great. Let us know how it works and if you can, post pics!

3. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    Ok now the 430 challenge center lock hubs are installed no mods to the hubs the brake disc hats had to be modified in the center hole nothing serious.

I made some custom made ferrari logo caps.

I added some washers to make the suspension wider instead of using wheel spacers and I had to make some longer suspension arm bolts 4mm wider per side.

Wheels are now painting,I will use the same scud wheel color in the BBS center lock wheels.
    Tires are the new Pirelli Trofeo super nice looking tires..

4. arjgt3

arjgt3 Rookie

Oct 29, 2009
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Arj Pillay Kula
    Pictures, Pictures, Pictures.............PLEASE!! Dying to see what these look like! It sounds absolutely gorgeous from the description thus far.......

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    +1

6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I'd love to know more detailed information, perhaps you can make a conversion kit with the knowledge you've gained?

Is there not an ABS mismatch on the 430 Challenge hubs? Thats what I heard but perhaps its not the case. I know the 430 Challenge CCM center bells can be swapped just by replacing the bells onto your original CCM discs so you don't then need to modify the bell at all. I also believe the center bells for 430 Challenge racing a much lighter than the road car ones. Road car ones are stainless steel, the race ones are ionized lightweight aluminium and save significant unsprung weight per wheel so if you can use them they are better.

I've seen the 430 Challenge wheels in the uk sell with a set of used slicks for less than $1000 us a set (including center lock nuts). Nobody can use them so they are basically given away. What about wheel offsets? How aggressive?

7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    These are the comments I last read about it from a friend who recently tried (and failed!)

"My mechanic is still very unsure about the 430 hub carriers because they come complete with bearings and 430 abs sensor , which may not work with 360. What has been suggested is to split the bearings and replace the 430 sensor with the 360 one but this requires you to re-attach the bearings, and my mechanic says he's not sure if the hubs can withstand high speeds safely thereafter. Someone else suggested bringing the hubs to a foundry to reattach but again im not sure if this is safe. can you let me know what you decide to do because my wheels are just sitting there at the moment."

Perhaps this isn't a problem on 430 vs 360 fitment...

8. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    Yes I will post some today NP.

9. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    -The ABC conector is the same and we dont think we will have problems.
    -Yes I can also use 430 challenge hats or bells but the mod only consisted in making the center diameter 2mm bigger there is a lot of material so no prob there also it has a flange in the back so we used the same degrees after opening.
    -Regarding the bell weight for sure 430 challenge is lighter but I have spend around 20k so I will be ok using the scud bells.
    -Wheel ET,s are no prob I had to use shims to increase the suspension length.

10. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    -Yes 430 challenge hubs come with bearings,nuts and the installation is bolt on no prob here they are the same front and rear.
    -I dont know if this will work on a 360 in the 430 yes.

11. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    #11 SSR, Jul 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. arjgt3

arjgt3 Rookie

Oct 29, 2009
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Arj Pillay Kula
    Thanks SSR Great Pics! Looks incredible! Please post pics of the completed car whn your project is done. It'll be one amazing Scud! Can't wait to see the finished prodcut!

13. jj525

jj525 Karting

Feb 8, 2009
    Virginia, Florida
    Has anyone figured out the lightest setup for the Scud:

1) 5 bolt 16M forged wheels
    2) center lock challenge wheels
    3) 5 bolt challenge hat with 16M wheels

I would like to know which way to go, Trev any ideas?

14. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    Challenge wheel weights :

F 19 x 10.5 = 10.08 kilos
    R 19 x 8 = 11.94 kilos

Scud wheels weights with Corsa:

F 20.80 Kilos
    R 24.70 Kilos

15. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    If its not too much trouble can you post a picture of the ABC connector. In the meantime I'll see if I can dig out the 430 Workshop manuals and compare the microfiche of the 360 to see if they are the same wiring looms.

Why did you have to increase the suspension length with shims? What are the actual differences between the 430 Challenge and other cars with make this a requirement? Do you need longer bolts too, if so why did Ferrari do this on the 430 Challenge vs 360/430? Does it effect geometry?

On the 20k spend thing are you suggesting it was 'cheaper' to use original plates? Also how do you know for sure you drilled exactly centered to the bell? If it was offset even by 1mm surely it would be disaster for balance of the wheel when rotating at high speeds? Did you get it done at a pro machine shop?

On the use of the 430 Challenge bells, quite a lot of these bells are floating around because new ccm's come supplied with them so when old ones are replace normally they are just junked with the original ccm disc. Also people using 430 Challenge ccm upgrades on their 360/430 dont use the original center bells, they tend to just retrofit the original CS/430 ccm bells onto the 430 Challenge ccm's bells and bolt em straight onot their cars. Thus they have no requirement for the 430 ccm center bells. I'm sure there are a few sets floating around so you certainly don't need to buy complete new set of ccm's to get the bells.

I was surprised at the weight of the original CS center bells, they weighed nearly 2kg's EACH (!). Thats a shocking 8kg's of center bell weight, fully stainless steel and heavy. I'd wager the CCM center bells must have very little weight in them, probably half at the least, easily less than a kilo. All unsprung weight too so substantial improvements in handling to be had. Well more than ti wheel bolts infact.

16. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Hmm, the weight difference then doesn't seem much different to CS/Scud wheels. I'd have expected the Challenge center lock wheels to be in single figure kilo's. The center bells must be the biggest improvement for sure. At least 1kg (maybe 1.5kg's) per corner.

The Corsa tires are around 10 kilos each. Saving must be had on center lock nut compared to the ti fixing lut nuts but not that much.

17. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I think your right, the option 3 might actually be lighter (or at least very close) with less fuss about replacing hubs. Ofcourse the center lock wheels do look the absolute business fitted though. I did see a post once on here comparing all the wheel weights but I'd need to do a search...

18. jj525

jj525 Karting

Feb 8, 2009
    Virginia, Florida
    Is there a kit to swap to centerlocks or do you have to put a list of parts together? Can the challenge hats be retrofitted to 5 bolt?

19. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    You'll have to pull a list of parts together and don't expect to go down to your local dealer to buy these - I'm almost certain they are restricted to 430C owners and new prices are artifically silly on list prices (racers get huge discounts on rrp, upto 70%). These parts however are all readily available used from racers and usual places like fleabay. Hubs, ccm's, wheels and tire all get swapped at regular intervals on 430C cars.

Here's what the OP has replaced
    1. x4, 430C Wheel Hubs
    2. x4, 430C Center Lock Wheels
    3. x4, 430C Center Lock Nuts
    4. x4, Modified Center Bells from his original 430Scud brakes - drilled to open the diameter of the hole up to allow the original Scud CCM's to fit on the 430C wheel hubs. Other option is to just source a set of used 430C center bells and retro fit them back onto his Scud CCM's. A straight bolt over swap.

On the fitting the challenge center bells on regular 5 bolts, not sure its possible as the hole is larger on the challenge bells than on the original cars 5 bolt hub. You can ofcourse easily go the otherway as the OP did by carefully drilling out material so the size matches the 5 bolt size.

20. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007

I made longer bolts because I wanted to get a more aggressive offset so I used extra shims to move the susp arms a little bit.

Yes I used a PRO machine shop, they do race cars only and they understand perfect what was needed NP here.

21. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    I also think option 3 will be the lightest,I went the with center locks for the look.

22. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    Like a kit no but it is very simple to order 4 hubs,4 nuts,20 wheel pins.
    Like mentioned before you have to machine the center of the bells,after this mod if you want to return to 5 lugs you will need to buy new bells.But I think you will never want to do this..

The center lock look is really unique and it uses OEM parts so the value of the car will be ok.

23. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    I also made some pins that att to the threat of the rear shafts and front hubs and then I glued a modified wheel center cap,with out this mod the challenge hubs had just a big hole,too racing look for a street car and the diameter of the Ferrari cap is perfect for the challenge hubs they look just perfect!!!

In the next days I will install OEM roll bar and Roberuta front lift system and after I will finally test...

24. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    I'm impressed and want to see some pictures of this done. Very cool that you switched to center lock. I still want a sound clip of this beast with the kreisseig.

25. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    Yes I will post some pics and vids when the project is finish...