Ferrari 360 Spider Top Problem | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 Spider Top Problem

Discussion in '360/430' started by califf, Jun 23, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. califf

califf Rookie

May 16, 2010
    My spider just developed a top problem. When I let the top down the soft top goes all the way back but the painted cover will not close over it. It just stays up. The top closes fine. The hydraulic fluid for the apparatus is good. What is this, and what can I do?

2. califf

califf Rookie

May 16, 2010
    I looked more closely at what the top was doing and the soft top had actually not fully seated. I gave it a very slight nudge down and the painted cover came down and locked normally. Then as I put the top up the painted cover raised and the soft top got stuck again. One slight nudge up and it closed normally.

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Check the micro switches. It probably isn't getting the right signals. Another possibility is that it is slightly out of alignment so it is binding. My bet is on the micro switches.

4. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I occasionally experience this with my spider too. I just give the top a nice tug make sure it is folded nicely then the cover will close properly.

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    One other possible cause is a marginally low battery. Remember that the top is hydraulic so you suck up a bunch of power to make it work.

6. Pete_360

Pete_360 Rookie

Dec 5, 2011
    Canberra Australia
    Full Name:
    Pete Baka
    Hey guys, I’m new to all this only got my 360 a couple weeks ago.

I have the same problem mentioned my roof doesn’t seem to go down enough and if I nudge it down then it has problems coming back up, requiring me to give it a tug.

I have tried adjusting the micro switches with no avail, I have started to go more extreme and adjust bolts cos it feels like the roof needs to sit back more when it is lowered into its compartment.

Would be great if I could get some advice.

Thanks guys

7. JaguarDriver

JaguarDriver Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Dick Maury
    Sounds like it needs a bit more fluid pressure. As the pump is electric and voltage sensitive, I have found that putting the top up or down with the engine running works a lot better. 14 volts is better than 12.

8. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 16, 2006
    #8 Spitfire, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
    There are a few basic checks that you can and should do, such as fluid level for example, and weak battery, but the symptoms are quite similar to those that I experienced last year, and in my case the fix was to replace the passenger side hydraulic ram.

All of the trouble-shooting procedures were documented in a fairly extensive thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335288

and the specific procedures that I wrote-up for ram replacement are here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140893487&postcount=159

9. Pete_360

Pete_360 Rookie

Dec 5, 2011
    Canberra Australia
    Full Name:
    Pete Baka
    #9 Pete_360, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey guys i fixed my issues with the roof,

So the reason why my roof wasnt closing properly was because of the middle bar on the top frame (Orange oval in pic) wasnt getting pulled back on the passange side during the closing process, causing the roof not to fold completly in its resting compartment. This was the result of the tention strap (Red Circle) being loose, i ended up sewing a new bit of elastic to the old strap and presto my roof went down with no issues.

Not sure if anyone elses issue is the same just thought i would share.

Cheers,
    Pete
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. alohamickey

alohamickey Karting

Sep 23, 2004
    San Clemente CA
    Full Name:
    Mickey
    Thank You Pete!

My top was doing the exact same thing, the fluid was a little low, so i followed the other thread to top it off, but after, it still would not close completely.

So I looked at your picture and half way up I stopped it, moved that bar foward with my hand and voila, close all the way!

My next project is to sew those little elastic things in. But at least I can enjoy the car with the top down. Just about all my elastic needs to be replaced, so its going to be a longer project than I would have liked.

11. FTA

FTA Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2011
    Phila., PA
    Full Name:
    Frank T
    What years are your spiders?

12. alohamickey

alohamickey Karting

Sep 23, 2004
    San Clemente CA
    Full Name:
    Mickey
    If you click on our user id, and scroll to profile, it has a list of the users cars. Assuming they updated their profile.

It appears that we both have 2001. I just got mine a few days ago and have to work through several bugs.

Mine needs all the elastic to be replaced. I guess 10 or 11 years is to be expected...

13. FTA

FTA Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2011
    Phila., PA
    Full Name:
    Frank T
    i did see that in the profiles. sorry to bug ya with the question. i also thought it might benefit the forum if the information was readily available in the thread (future potential buyers and such)

14. Pete_360

Pete_360 Rookie

Dec 5, 2011
    Canberra Australia
    Full Name:
    Pete Baka
    Hey guys sorry for the late reply. I'm glad my post helped ya, my elastics all seem to need replacement I'm gonna wait till I replace the outer roof tho. In answer to the other question yes our cars are 2001.

15. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Bit of info on top folding.

My top malfunctioned a couple of months ago and it was caused by the material not folding correctly. A pin on the 'H' shaped cover was catching on the material. I fixed it by stopping the top ~90% through the closing cycle and manually packing the top correctly to make sure all the creases were in the right place. Left the car for ~ 1 month with the top down just to make sure the creases were established. Seems OK now but I still watch it.

16. therealmerc

therealmerc Rookie

Apr 3, 2011
    My top wont go all the way down. Any advice guys about what it could be causing this?

17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That system is marginally up to the task of moving the top and if it is cold it is really on the edge. I generally see this when putting the top up but no reason it isn't the same on the way down. If you haven't driven in a week or so the top may not move through the full cycle. If you start the car and let it run for a while (recharge the battery some) then cycle the top again, it should help.

Yet another system on this car that is fairly sensitive to level of charge.

18. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    There is a bar in the middle of the top inside the canvas cover that you can feel
    It is connected to a elastic strap, the bar suppose to move towards the rear of the car when the top begins to open but as these pos cars age the elastic strap looses their tension
    During the opening process if you manually slide the bar towards the rear the top should go down a the way

19. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I only open/close mine with the car started...better voltage.