Need expert opinion on power steering fluid compatibility | FerrariChat

Need expert opinion on power steering fluid compatibility

Discussion in '360/430' started by ELP_JC, Apr 25, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Hey gang. Asked where I could get the factory recommended Shell Donax TX to top off power steering fluid along with many other questions some time ago. After finding out nobody carries it locally, and the minimum size was a 5-Gal bucket, somebody recommended Pentosin CHF-11S hydraulic fluid as a suitable substitute, which is what most German automakers use.

Anyway, just got it, but look at what it says on the back: 'Pentosin CHF-11S is compatible with Pentosin CHF-202, but do NOT mix with Pentosin CHF-7.1 or any other hydraulic oils'. I'm obviously worried with the last sentence. My question to the experts is simple: Are you sure it's safe to mix this fluid with Donax TX? Service history doesn't say anything about replacing power steering fluid (probably unnecessary at 9K miles), so I'd assume Donax TX is in there. Thanks in advance for your help gang.

2. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Nobody knows? Guess not :-(. Need to search and figure out who I need to charge the $30 for the Pentosin fluid < ha ha>. Naaah. Will keep it for the M3. But need to find a compatible fluid (anybody?). Thanks anyway gang.

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Have you thought about flushing the system with p/steering fluid that is readily available to you? :):)

4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #4 MalibuGuy, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
    Im using Dexron 4 in my 360. Should be better than the Shell Donax Dexron 3.

Other use the Pentosin which may be even better

The main thing is to change out the old fluid for fresh stuff

5. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'd be inclined to follow the advice on the bottle. Don't mix - there's probably a good reason for the advice there.

Easiest way out from here is probably to drain and flush the system.

6. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    #6 ELP_JC, Apr 27, 2011
    Thanks folks. A flush is not the 'easiest' way, but if I can't find a compatible fluid, the only way to go. Since level is 1/3 between the marks, and car has only 9K miles, no rush to do this. Will definitely need a service manual to see the flushing procedure. I usually just suck the reservoir dry 3 times every 30K miles or so on my other cars, and most of the fluid is replaced that way. With the super long lines on this car (plus a cooler), and the possible incompatibility issue, it has to be a flush on this car. If somebody can post the procedure it'd be great. And yes, as far as quality, it can't get any better than Pentosin CHF-11S, which is a fully synthetic German-made hydraulic fluid (smells like crap though < he he>), but it's expensive. Thanks again to all who contributed :).

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #7 tazandjan, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Shell Donax TX is a synthetic automatic transmission fluid meeting GM's Dexron III standard.

My car is currently running Valvoline Synthetic Power Steering Fluid. Unfortunately, Valvoline discontinued their synthetic power steering fluid, which has worked perfectly in my car and was a cure for power steering problems on many US pick-up trucks.

For my next power steering fluid change, I intend to use Valvoline Dexron VI Synthetic ATF, which is completely back-service compatible with Dexron III fluids.

Here are the specs on all three fluids, including the Pentosin, so you can see if the Dexron VI meets your needs.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes, that.

I am running Redline's D6 ATF in the power steering and all is good. Been that way for a couple of years.

9. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    JC, to help you out, here is the procedure of the WSM:

FILLING AND DRAINING STEERING HYDRAULIC SYSTEM

After having emptied the hydraulic circuit during periodic maintenance, or in case of replacement of a component or of a pipe, only use quality oil and in the prescribed quantity to fill the system.

The system self-drains but, to facilitate this function, carry out the following procedure:

• With the engine at rest and the system filled with oil at the maximum level, make five full steering-wheel turns. During this procedure it is necessary to avoid emptying of the tank.

• Check the oil level in the tank and refill it if necessary.

• Start the engine for about five seconds.

• When the engine stops, check the level.

• With the engine at rest, make another five or more full steering-wheel turns.

• When the engine stops, check the level again and the status of the oil; excessive emulsified air prevents effective self-draining.

If this occurs, leave the engine at rest for a few minutes, to allow the oil to settle.

• Restart the engine and, if this situation persists and the pump seems loud, the liquid in the tank must be replaced with new oil.

• At the end of the procedure the oil in the tank must be at the maximum level.

• Carefully close the tank cap.

Hope this helps,
    Stef

10. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    #10 ELP_JC, Apr 27, 2011
    Would you use it to top off your car? :) Seems to me it's perfectly safe, since it's backwards compatible with Dexron III, and both are approved by GM as well. And many thanks for that info. No way hydraulic fluid should be mixed with automatic transmission fluid, plus the Pentosin is substantially thinner (according to the specs).

I think will only top it off at about 2/3 between the marks, just like the oil. And same on the M3. When full, those reservoirs tend to overflow during spirited driving in hot weather, making a royal mess in the engine bay. Thanks to all for your help.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    To be honest with you, Ferrari normally requires the power steering fluid be changed every 2 years on cars through the 575s, but I am not sure what the interval is on the F430. I have the WSM, OMs, flat rate schedule, etc, but no Warranty and Maintenance schedule. If I were low on fluid, I would drain and refill with the new fluid rather than topping off the reservoir with a different fluid. Even though Donax TX meets the Dexron III requirements, it uses a different base stock and additives to meet them than the Dexron III or VI by Valvoline. If I had Valvoline Dexron III, no sweat adding Valvoline Dexron VI, but I would hesitate at mixing manufacturers.

If you change the fluid, either the Pentosin or Valvoline will work. Or Red Line or a few others.

Incidentally, ATF is hydraulic fluid with additives to meet automatic transmission needs.

In the past, both Valvoline and Mobil 1 had a synthetic power steering fluid, but both discontinued it. No idea why.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Dexron 4 is backwards compatible -so you can add it to top off your fluid.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    MG- You do not get the point. Many manufacturer's fluids meet the GM Dexron III standards, but they do it using different additives and a different base fluid. That means one manufacturer's Dexron III and Dexron VI will be compatible with each other. It does not mean two different manufacturer's fluids, even if both meet the GM Dexron III or VI standard, are compatible.

It is the same for motor oils. If you have to add oil to top off, you are better off with even a non-syntnetic by the same manufacturer than you would be to top off with a different manufacturer's oil.

Dexron III is a standard, as is Dexron VI, and it consists of viscosities at various temperatures, minimum pour temperarure, material compatibility, heat tolerance, etc. There are many ways to meet those requirements.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I am using Valvoline Dexron 4 and my power steering has been great. No creaking or squealing noises and no roughness or abnormal feedback when turning the steering wheel.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #15 tazandjan, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
    MG- We put Dexron VI in my car during this spring's annual and it is working great, as well. If the system is drained and refilled, any of the Dexron III or higher synthetic ATFs or power steering fluids should work fine.

I am not sure why Valvoline and Mobil 1 stopped making synthetic power steering fluids, but have a feeling they may have increased leak problems.

The one reason Volvo recommends Pentosin is the ~15F lower pour point than most other fluids. Important if you are using your car in northern Sweden or Norway, but not so much in our lower 48.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

16. JaysM6

JaysM6 Rookie

Nov 17, 2011
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Jay
  17. Dougster

Dougster Karting

Feb 28, 2013
    Dallas TX Area
    Anyone have an updated recommendation on power steering fluid for a 430? I'm not sure that the specific fluids mentioned in this post are still available or at least I didn't find them at my local auto parts store. Thanks.

18. London

London Karting

Aug 29, 2009
    London
    I use Castrol Transmax Dexron III in my 360 and it's been fine for years.

19. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    The Donax is still the factory fill. I buy it from my local Ferrari dealer. There was an older version when the 360 was current, but the new stuff is the same stuff, different only in name according to Shell's website.

20. Dougster

Dougster Karting

Feb 28, 2013
    Dallas TX Area
    Thanks. I'm not sure I will be able to get the Donax but I did find some of the Valvoline Dextron VI Synthetic