P0455 Check Engine Light Help | FerrariChat

P0455 Check Engine Light Help

Discussion in '360/430' started by ferrari4evers, Jul 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari4evers

ferrari4evers Rookie

Jul 23, 2011
    Hi Guys,

I know this is already cover on this forum. My question is my car have a p0455 which is fume leaked. I'm wondering do I really have to remove the top on my 2001 360 spider in order to find the problem? Also, do any of you know where the EVAP canister located on the 360? I'm really need to fix this problem in order to pass emission in my state. Also, do you guy know if my car have the access holes which save me from removing the top. Please help me out as much as possible on this.

Thanks!

2. TAFORZA

TAFORZA Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008
    San Francisco, USA
    Full Name:
    Tony A.
    If you have an EVAP system leak, a qualified shop with a "Smoke Machine" can inject smoke into the EVAP system and determine the source of the leak before taking anything apart. Also check and test the gas cap and make sure it was not left loose after your last fill-up.

3. ferrari4evers

ferrari4evers Rookie

Jul 23, 2011
    I already check the gas cap it's tight. Do you know where the evap canister locate? It would be very helpful to know where it's so I can check to see if it's crack or not.

Thanks!

4. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'm pretty sure it's in the rear of the right hand side as you look at engine bay from the rear. It's a black rectangular box with a number of rubber hoses attached.

5. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Actually, the evap system is on the left hand side. You need to remove the small engine bay panel and the emergency fuel cap handle.

P0455 is a minor leak : incorrect pressure increase within the fuel tank. To find out, you have to remove all the engine bay panels. You should check all the fuel pipes around the fuel tank on each side of the engine bay and not only on the EVAP system. In fact, it's the Evap system that found out this leak during a test cycle. So it doesn't mean that the Evap system is wrong ;) but rather the fuel system. Remove also the center part under the rear window and check for any leak around the disareator. Don't forget the check also the fuel pipes which has several collars (where the fuel enters when refuelling).

Good luck ;)

6. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Actually it seems that it's on the side the driver sits! :)

7. sailingmagnus

sailingmagnus Rookie

Nov 20, 2010
    Satellite Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hi, I too have this problem throwing P0455 errors typically about 45 minutes after driving on a hot day, longer sometimes never in the cool winter months. I clear em myself with my OBDII reader. Dealer did smoke test and showed me smoke billowing from the top of drivers side tank. Several threads talk about the roll over check valves on the top of each tank are made from plastic which gets brittle and breaks from years of heat exposure and that is most likely the point of leaking.

I wonder though if the smoke could have been coming from the EVAP module. My understanding is there is a solenoid that closes once the car starts to make a closed fuel system. When the car is at rest the solenoid must open to allow for expansion/contraction in the tank as well as to vent the tanks during refill. Wouldn't a smoke test with the car off yield smoke through the EVAP module, making it appears as if their is a leak but it's just the normal venting? I say EVAP but notice a module#19 called the Disserator which is where I felt I saw the smoke coming from on the drivers side refer here:

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?M=FE&P=&V=diag&I=669

The disserator seems to feed the Fuel Canister (I think this is the EVAP #1 here)
    http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?M=FE&P=&V=diag&I=672
    And the smoke test was done by disconnecting #10 and injecting smoke back into both disserators and subsequently into the tanks.

Can anyone enlighten us as to the details of the disserator vs Fuel Canister vs EVAP module?

8. burner42

burner42 Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Myles
    subscribed... I have the same code. As sailingmagnus explained I too thought mine was the rollover valves, I purchased them new from Ferrari for $1800, did a couple other fixes before installing rollover valves, reset code and it did not come on for several days so I returned the rollover valves... it is back on again, I am taking my 360 in for a clutch and belt service soon so I will do the smoke test also to see if I can locate the leak. I didnt want to replace/use the $1800 rollover valves if I was not 100% sure they were the culprit.

9. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    I am a little extended on this one; but it is my understanding that the entire fuel system is sealed. If you see any smoke during the smoke test then address the point at which it leaks. Normally you would check to see if the valve itself that has failed when you see this CEL, but in your case you are beyond that with the smoke check.

When gas fumes leave your tank they should ever be vented into the atmosphere, they need to be diverted to the disareator (gas / liquid separator), charcoal canister, then through the a check valve (they call it a Shing valve I think), finally into the intake manifold to be burnt in the combustion chamber.

So here is where I get foggy on facts and maybe am not much help. In a lot of cars I have seen the solenoid valve is in between the charcoal canister and the intake and it seals the system to build pressure and a pressure sensor verifies said pressure and all is OK. On the 430 and 360 the solenoid valve connects to the open air and I dont see the pressure sensor. So I think I am beyond my understanding of the system at this point.

I will say that if you inject smoke in any part of the evaporative system and see smoke other than at Part#33 (called ON_OFF Valve but is the evaporative solenoid I have been referring to), then you probably have a failed component at the leak point.

Let us know what you find and the final resolution to the issue. I would like to increase my knowledge of this system before we are all driving around cordless drills.

10. ferrari4evers

ferrari4evers Rookie

Jul 23, 2011
    Ok I solved the problem. The smoke that you're talking about coming out of the side vent is coming from the engine thru the intake and the intake carried it out to the ram air vent. I found out that my car have no leaked at all. The problem was that the two valves go bad. I just replace them and it's good. You can buy the valves from VW instead of ferrari which are the same thing and cheaper. The valves located on the driver side near the temperature sensors. Now that I solved that problem I got a new one.

11. THINKFAST

THINKFAST Karting

Jan 13, 2011
    Earth, mostly ...
    Great news on the repair.Do you know the name of these valves,and the VW part #s . Thanks for your help.Also are they difficult to get to?

12. ferrari4evers

ferrari4evers Rookie

Jul 23, 2011
    #12 ferrari4evers, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's called EVAP purge Valves. They are really easy to get to. Just unscrew all the bolts from the driver side engine compartment and take out two metal plates. You will see it. See the picture for an example of one. I don't know the part number for it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. THINKFAST

THINKFAST Karting

Jan 13, 2011
    Earth, mostly ...
    Thanks for the info.Will look up part #

14. ferrari4evers

ferrari4evers Rookie

Jul 23, 2011
    Hi guys,

I thought my problem was solved but it's not. For some reason my evap purge valves failed three times. I replaced the valves and after 30-50 miles of driving the CEL came on and the valves go bad. Do you guys know what can kills the valves this fast? These valves suppose to last for a long time. The cel is p0455. Thanks.

15. mikeyc10

mikeyc10 Rookie

Sep 13, 2011
    I am having the same problem with my 04 spider, had the smoke test performed and hose and valve are bad. Am going to try and get the VW one mentioned and see how it compares.

One thing ferrari dealer mentioned they do when replacing these is also to replace the float valve. Not sure what that is but they sure want to charge me $1600 for parts for all this and I'm looking to save money and possibly do it myself.

Anyone else had experience changing the hose and Evap valve to know how easy it is on a Spider?

Thanks in advance!

16. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
  17. gqmd

gqmd Rookie

Jul 25, 2017
    I am wondering if I should just replace the purge valves as well on my F430. I did a test of the purge valves with a smoke machine but it came out okay.

Then I attached the smoke machine between the EVAP purge valve on the left and the canister resulted smoke out of the pipe from the diagnostic pump (smoke coming out behind the left side taillights), I ended up removing the pipe that goes from the diagnostic pump to the canister and plugged the opening in the canister. I then re-attached the smoke machine but I get no smoke leaking from anywhere now, not even the gas cap. I am starting to wonder if the problem is at the diagnostic pump. Can it leak and cause a P0455 (and pending P0442)?

I cleared the code and after driving for a while I got a check engine with the same P0455 code.

Ferrari1221 likes this.