Why are used F430 so expensive? | FerrariChat

Why are used F430 so expensive?

Discussion in '360/430' started by [email protected], Jan 27, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mixxalot@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    I notice that other exotics such as Lamborghini drop like a rock after few years in terms of depreciation. Why is F430 still so expensive used? With the 458 Italia out for past few years, it is surprising why dealers asking over 140k for a used 6 year old car.

2. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    Because they are awesome and everyone wants one.

3. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    They are still very attractive. I would love a F430 Spider.

4. RyanH

RyanH Karting

Jun 17, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    X2

5. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    :D

+1

-G.B.

6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    You have to spend 2x that for something marginally better.

7. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The market determines prices - the prices will drop only when sales slow down
    when/if interest in the model declines.

Jedi

8. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    They have developed an excellent reputation for being easy to live with and the performance is still pretty phenomenal. 458s are 2+X the price. So, as a 430 owner for 6.5 years myself, I have to ask, "do I want to give them my car plus a check for about 200K?" True, there is quite a bit of performance increase, but I've never been driving the 430 and wished it had more power or better handling. It is already way beyond what can be used on the street safely and even on track days, the car is way better than I am, so I'll stick with the car already in my garage.

Dave

9. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    +1. Good points, well stated.

10. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Depreciation among italian cars, for various reasons folks will chime in with, vary but are in this order typcially:

Most = Maserati
    Next = Lambo
    Least = Ferrari

I posted some depr rates in a thread in the 599 area IIRC if you want to look:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352765&page=2

A 2005 430 likely stickered in the $200k range and is now $120k ish to buy. Over 7 years that is only 40% (less than 5% annual compounded rate) or so...you would be hard pressed to find many examples of any car that have held better. Its a lot of car for the $120k ish price!

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #11 TheMayor, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
    Because the F430 is just one magnificent car.

And, it's replacement -- the 458 -- is 100K more used and 100K more plus 8 to 12 months away new.

Even more, the 458 Spider is another 25 grand more expensive than the coupe and a for most, a few years away. To this date, there have been no new mid engine spiders sent to the US market in 3 years -- the last few ones were sent in early 2009. If you want a convertible (and 50% of the buyers do), your only choice is a used F430 spider or a California.

Besides, the Gallardo is a really old design and Lambo's rarely hold their value like Ferrari.

The reason cars are so expensive is not because of how dealers price them -- it's what the market will bear. If you can get 160K, you will ask for that.

12. away

away Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2004
    Lansdale, PA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Agree on every post above. The F430 is one amazing vehicle and it's market prices reflect that fact. It is genuinely supercar fast, with a fantastic chassis beneath it, while simultaneously being known for its relative reliability. I believe there's also something to be said for being the last modern manual gearbox equipped Ferrari (albeit with fairly small numbers produced) While the 360 is also a genuine bargain in its own right, I found the F430 worth the 'relatively' small additional premium. I can't say the same for the 458 at the moment.

2010 458: ~$270k
    2005 430: ~$120k
    1999 360: ~$70k

Looking at the mid-engined V8's current pricing above, it sure seems to fit just fine to me.

13. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Not true ...and I still want one

14. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I feel way about mi 360. the price dropped on those because they made so many. With the 430 they refined it and its an excellent car.

Also, I always thought that Lamborghini held their value better

15. datax

datax Karting

Apr 9, 2006
    VA (Washington DC)
    Full Name:
    Ken T
    Out of curiosity, what are the production numbers for 360s and 430s?

16. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I bought an F430 Spider at the end of last October, having been a Dino owner for over 35 years. I had driven three 430s in the past, and a good friend has an '06 berlinetta. I sometimes wonder if I paid too much, but in retrospect, I can't think of a newer Ferrari that suits me better. It's the last Ferrari with a stick shift, probably the last "ragtop" Ferrari Spider, quite possibly the last Spider with an engine-lid window, and its Dino origins, while not obvious to some, drew me to it immediately. I only hope that I can adapt to the extra power it has over my two Dino GTs. You can drive them in a spirited manner most anywhere. I don't think that you can say that about a 430! Well, as Harley Earl used to say, you can sell a young man's car to an old man, but you can't sell an old man's car to a young man. Since I will turn 64 in about two months, I can honestly say that I bought my Dinos as a young man and bought an F430 as a---------(ahem!) MATURE man! Fred

17. Mo T

Mo T Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Mohammed
    JMO ... The F430 still looks modern in it's own unique way and (with those missile like side scopes and 4 hanged tail lights) very different from the entire Ferarri lineup of sport cars, aggressive in a way many people like and I think its beautiful shape will live for a long time. Not too big, not too low, nicely curved all around and reliable.

Maybe an F430 lover, but (I think) even if I afforded buying the 458 at that time, I would have still picked the F430 for what it is.

Demand translates Price.

18. F-1

F-1 Karting

Sep 30, 2010
    east coast
    140k is dirt cheap for the best v8 Ferrari has ever made..... You are stuck with a floppy shifter and not a proper gated shifter with a 458.... So prices will be on the rise in the future. God bless Enzo.

19. F-1

F-1 Karting

Sep 30, 2010
    east coast
    To complement your comment I did afford a 458 but went with a PROPER F with 4 tail lights and a real shifter, none of which are available from 430 and on.
    God bless Enzo's vision.
    I still have hopes that Maranello will some day forget about profits and respect Enzo's wishes and go back and make proper Ferraris not only cars that would compete with the market.
    Ferrarsti.

20. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    just buy a 360.. it still looks good

21. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The 360 is the best deal at 1/2 the price of a 430. Of course a 430 is newer technology and has no belts, but you can replace the belts roughly 10 times and still be ahead of the price of the 430. So 10 belt changes = 50 years.

22. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Oh god...let's not go there!

One clarification only. It would be 30 years in a v8 for ten changes. For some reason (Ferrari still recommends 3 years on v8 despite being at 5 years on 550/575)

23. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    The 430 line has held its value so well because of supply and demand. The supply is fixed (out of production) and the demand is strong, including you, me, most people on this board and every other car board. The 430 is depreciating and will continue to do so until it reaches equilibrium in 5-10 years. Where will it stop? Who cares.

Why is the demand so strong, the list depends on the audience. I will just give it 60 seconds...

1. Classic good looks
    2. Woman throw themselves at my car wherever I go. as do guys.
    3. The most reliable modern F this side of the 458 (maybe too soon to tell on the 458, but the 7 yr warranty is nice)
    4. Relatively low operating cost; Timing chains (life of car for most), good F1 system (not perfect). Low operating cost != low parts cost; unless you count $2K worth of lug nuts low cost.
    5. Fast enough to need drivers nannies on the road. Saved me a few times and I was a professional racer at some point in my otherwise worthless life.
    6. Total package. This is really the key, anyone can make a fast car, a great looking car, a reliable car, a super handling car, a great sounding car, but the 430 has it all in one package!
    7. Can be daily driven. Its my opinion that the F430 is the first Ferrari that really can be daily driven in FL, especially beachside. Great AC, good corrosion resistance, always starts, power steering, power brakes, TC, Stability Mgnt, etc.

My time is up.

cavlino likes this.
  24. Santi

Santi Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2009
    Miami Beach
    Full Name:
    Javier Santiago
    What he said :D

But seriously, my guess on the comparison with Lamborghini is that they make to many versions of the same car, they look almost the same but everybody wants the newest special edition of the fast special edition model.

25. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    For this to be true, you would be comparing the oldest 360's ('99-'00) selling for $60-$75k with the oldest 430's ('05) selling for $120-$130k or the newest 360's ('04-'05) selling for $90-$100k with the newest 430's ('09) selling for $180-$200k.

Indeed that is double the cost for a 430, but you are looking at a 5 yr spread in model year, so the price difference is more a product of the model year than the model. Indeed, 430 prices have been dropping a lot in recent years (not surprisingly) while 360 prices have stabliezed if not gone up a tad. This bodes better for 430 buyers at the moment me thinks. I can move from my 360 spider to an '06 430 Spider for probably a $30k investment, and get a 2 yr newer car. Seems worth it, particularly when you take into account the cost of a belt service. I am willing to bet if I wait a little longer, the spread will be smaller, not that I am looking to move from my 360 to a 430 as I have been considering a California and prefer a 360 to a 430, but this does give me pause from the perspective of the belt service and model year.