My 360 won't start, please help! | FerrariChat

My 360 won't start, please help!

Discussion in '360/430' started by Fred3000gt, Aug 13, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fred3000gt

Fred3000gt Rookie

Mar 1, 2011
    Switzerland
    #1 Fred3000gt, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
    Just got recently a 2000 F1 360 coupe, no problem for a few weeks. Then, suddenly, cannot start after a few days of break. Ok, charged the battery over night and it started fine.
    Then, went for vacation for 2 weeks (main cut-off switch Off during this time). Now, what I get when trying to start is:
    1. 4 beeps
    2. "N" blinking
    3. "Check engine" (on left of dashboard)
    4. "Check Ok" (in center)
    5. F1 gearbox failure symbol (on right)
    I think I hear a relay switching for 30 sec or so. I cannot change gears neither. Headlights are working fine.

Any idea?

2. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    I am not an expert by any means but since you are new to the car I would suspect a dead/dying battery.

New ones are rather inexpensive and will save you a lot of headaches.

Of course it could be other things but this would be a good start.

Good luck!!!

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 16, 2006
    Yep, a new battery and a trickle charger would be my starting point.

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Might sound silly.. but are you sure all the doors, hood and engine cover are closed when your're turning on the car?

5. Fred3000gt

Fred3000gt Rookie

Mar 1, 2011
    Switzerland
    Thanks for all the answers!
    It's charging now, (main switch off), will see tomorrow morning...
    Yes, the hood and everything are closed....

6. alohamickey

alohamickey Karting

Sep 23, 2004
    San Clemente CA
    Full Name:
    Mickey
    Probably a dead cell or two on your battery. Charging it probably wont work for long, but might start you car. Becarefull about jumpers, i fried my dash light cause of a too powerful jumper box. I think too high amps...

7. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    +1 Check the engine lid as I just saw a similar thing happen - the driver found the engine lid had not latched correctly. He took care of that & the car has been fine since. Really, it was just that easy. This could be as simple as shutting it firmly or correcting the switch contact.

Obviously it could be a low battery but dont discount the engine lid contact

8. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    There are lots of posts about these. They are essential if you don't drive the car very often.

9. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    If your car sits for 2 weeks and not on the trickle charger, it probably won't start. If I don't drive my car for a couple of days, it's on the charger. You may also need a new battery.

10. Fred3000gt

Fred3000gt Rookie

Mar 1, 2011
    Switzerland
    Thanks to all. Still does not work after one night charging, will check latch and call the mechanic...

11. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

If I were you I'd try replacing the battery first. Or, make sure you use the AGM setting when recharging.(if that's the kind of battery you have) I'd just get an Interstate if you decide to buy a new one. Once those batteries get low they require a special slow charge to get them back up again. With an Optima you have to jumper a regular charged 12V battery to the Optima and then put a charger on the regular battery to bring it back.(or use whatever kind of recommended battery they have in Switzerland :) )

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 16, 2006
    When you lock the car using your remote, do you get 1 chirp followed by 4 chirps of the alarm? This is what happens with mine when the hood or engine cover aren't closed properly. If this is what happens, you might have a dirty contact (an easy fix).

13. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    Start small. Check the contacts as people have stated, then work your way up. IMO, I think you need a new battery.

A friend once thought his radio died and was prepared to buy a new stereo system. The problem was only the radio fuse had blown in the fuse box.

14. Fred3000gt

Fred3000gt Rookie

Mar 1, 2011
    Switzerland
    Thanks for the answer. Problem was solved, for those who find it useful, here is how:
    First, this is not something I could have done one my own. Ferrari came to my home with a computer they hooked to my Modena. Then the guy 'canceled errors' using his system. He explained that it some occasions (particularly using the main cut-off switch) the F1 system gets lost and doesnt know which gear is engaged. When this happens, the only way to proceed is wipe out his memory, and start a re-calibration of the F1 system. This is a pretty impressive procedure (noise is strange), still launched from the magic computer, during which the Modena engages each of the 6 gear and calibrates itself. Then, magically, the blinking 'N' disappeared and all worked perfectly. The guy told that is pretty common and he was sure 99% it was this.
    Some time after the guy left, I had what I identified as the same problem again, could not change gear. Called him, and then solved the issue by pressing harder (I think) the break pedal. Important different symptons with the previous problem: I did not have the 4 beeps not the F1 malfunction display on the dashboard.
    I will buy a system to keep the battery charged and avoid using the main switch in the future...
    I am travelling this week-end, hope I'll come back in Ferrari ;)

15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Glad to hear.
    The four beeps were interesting. Makes me wonder if you held both paddles back and it was put into "neutral" if that would help things. Sorry if I'm wrong about this.. mine is a gated manual.

16. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    Outstanding! Glad it worked out for you. You should at least get the battery checked anyway, especially if you're going on a long journey. It cannot hurt to be certain the battery is 100% before you leave. Be safe, have fun, and take pics of your 360 during the trip!