Gas Cap Rubber Seal Loose | FerrariChat

Gas Cap Rubber Seal Loose

Discussion in '360/430' started by Kevin Rev'n, May 13, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Let me know when I exceed the question per day limit OK?
    but here goes..
    On my car when you open the gas cap the rubber seal part that sits inside falls out into my hand. I am sure this isn't normal but if this has happened to you what did you do to remedy? Do I need to buy a new cap or is there a product to bond it back in there?

2. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This is a common problem, and very easy to fix.
    Buy some PC-7 Epoxy from Ace Hardware store (or other store that carries epoxies). It comes in a tube with 2 parts of paste that you mix together. Make sure you get that specific one because it's a paste consistency and it will work the best. Pull off and clean the rubber gasket and cap. Smear a little epoxy on it (not too much, you don't want it oozing out of the sides), then screw the cap back on firmly, but not super tight. That's it!
    The next day, remove the cap and make sure that the rubber part is tight, then re-install it tightly so you don't get a check engine light.
    It's an easy way to save yourself ~$250.
    By the way be VERY careful not to get any epoxy near the threads or where it doesn't belong, you don't want to glue your cap onto the car. That would be very bad!
    I already fixed 2 cars using PC-7 epoxy approximately 9 months ago, and they both held up perfectly so far.

By the way, there is no question limit (I know you were kidding, but still), especially for these cars that can be quirky. Most people here love to help each other out any way possible. If I didn't get yelled at for rapid fire questions and concerns, I don't think you will have a problem either. ;)

3. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #3 up4speed, May 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Huh! I thought that was normal. I'll have to "poxy" mine too.

5. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It's "normal" just like the sticky buttons are normal for this car. ;)

6. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks Chris! I really appreciate the help and the "break'n it down to nuts and bolts" answers with pictures!

7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Just want to add to this.

I experienced the same issue today. The inner part of the gas cap came off when I removed it to refill gas. Put it back on but in the way home got a check engine light so I did a search and came across this thread.

So I cleaned both parts then I applied permatex high temp glue and put it back on. Hopefully CEL goes away next time I drive. I will report back tomorrow.

Thanks for this thread Kevin!

Dan

8. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Clean up. Epoxy then put something to keep it down. It's not a really good move to screw your gas cap on with moist epoxy that has not cured because somebody is gonna glue there gas cap on. Be smart.

R

9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    #9 whatheheck, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    Sorry to disappoint you Mr Chairman but my gas cap came right off this morning.

FYI, I cleaned both surfaces really well, then I put a very light & thin layer of glue, then I cleaned up all the edges and all the surfaces that are not supposed to have any glue. Then I also applied a very light film of high temp grease to the gas cap metal thread.

I also didnt tighten the gas cap really tight. Just enough tightness of pressure to clamp the two pieces together.

I am also sorry I am not as smart as you are.

10. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I did the same thing. I was VERY careful to only use a very thin coat of epoxy, and I tightened it lightly. I didn't want to use anything else to push the seal in place because I wanted to make sure that it sit exactly flush when the repair was done.
    I've also fixed 2 other friends cars the same way without any issues. It's not a problem if the person fixing it is extremely careful.

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing info Chris.

Dan

12. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Thats ok.. glad it worked out but if there was one out of the bunch that would glue the gas cap to the car I would have certainly picked you.. Hey.. every once in a while you get lucky.. Dont forget to clean your hands.. USE SOAP...

R

13. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    We could probably make a lengthy list of odd but "normal" things about these cars.

Just a few that come to mind:

- white powder tends to escape from the exhaust silencer.
    - F1 pumps run for 10.5 seconds when you first open the driver's side door.
    - idles at about 1,500 rpm for about 2 minutes when first turned on and then goes to about 1,100 rpm.
    - In an F1, if stopped in first without your foot on the brake, after about 20 second you will get a loud beep and the car will shift to neutral.
    - it is not uncommon for the leather headliners to detach.
    - A weak battery can cause CEL's even though the car still starts just fine.
    - You can only fill it with gas to about 7/8 of a tank before the gas pump's pressure check will click off.

14. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    The Auto-Neutral is my favorite, especially when you're on an incline since the car will end up drifting backwards into something (or someone) if not careful.

15. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Personally I thought your post was great as it would be my luck to think I solved a problem when in fact I created a new one. Now can't get the cap off. Great.

Docf

16. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    FWIW, I was thinking the same exact thing ... have to be extremely careful because if any of that epoxy finds its way into the threads on the gap, it's not going to come off. I can see the horror stories of people having to replace all sorts of goodies.

Not that you cannot do it this way, but that care is of utmost importance. In my case, since I know I tend to screw things up, I probably would have secured it by some other means. Sometimes I think Murphy was thinking about me when he wrote his law. ;)

17. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I forgot to add that after I put epoxy on and screwed the cap back on, I immediately took it back off again just to verify that no epoxy leaked out where it doesn't belong. I then re-seated the cap a little lighter than the time before, just to confirm that I have a flat sealing surface. I hate to say it, but common sense has a lot to do with success of a repair. Some people don't have that sense, and wind up causing problems.

18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Does anyone know if we can buy just the rubber seal for the gas cap?

I have to tighten my gas cap really tight or I get a CEL.

I know its only a matter of time before the rubber seal wears out or deteriorates due to age.

19. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza
    I'm pretty sure the cap and seal are sold as a single unit. I have there same problem with a loose gasket. Just living with it.

Maybe call Ricambi?

20. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I will call Ricambi and report back here soon.

Dan

21. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Yes --- the cap and the rubber are all one "assembly", from the perspective of Ferrari spare parts.

Whatever rubber you chose, make sure it is fuel/ethanol safe.

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Daniel- I take it the V12 gasket does not fit?

Incidentally, you might mention the nice fold-out rubber paint guard fitted to the V12s fits the V8s and is only ~$15, part number 67194500.

23. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

You know, I really have no idea. I'll measure one tomorrow and see. If memory serves correctly, the diameter is the same but the breather tube in the middle is different.

24. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the info Daniel and Terry.

Dan

25. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    My gas cap is in excellent shape. It just doesnt make sense to replace the entire gas cap assembly because the rubber seal is worn out..........