F430 Water Pump | FerrariChat

F430 Water Pump

Discussion in '360/430' started by MAQ, Jul 11, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MAQ

MAQ Rookie

Jul 3, 2013
    #1 MAQ, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a 2006 F430 spyder with 13k miles. 2 mechanics have looked at my car, and both noticed some evidence of leaking by my water pump. The first said not to do anything about it today as it doesn't appear to be a serious problem. The second mechanic wants to replace the water pump because he believes it could lead to a serious problem where it leaks fluids into important components damaging them. I attached pictures. Anyone have any advice or experience with this? Thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Looks like corrosion caused by lack of coolant changes. Prolific on low mileage cars where people tend to skip the two year items because the car isn't being used much...

armedferret likes this.
  3. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Looks like the bearing weep hole. This is the hole on the dry side of the water pump bearing. As the bearing fails, coolant will pass through the bearing and drip from this hole to let you know the bearing is failing before the bearing has completely failed.

Bearing failures can be mild (low pumping, noise, leaking), to catastrophic (seize, no cooling, bad things happen fast).

I say get it replaced.

armedferret likes this.
  4. Ferrari Now or Never

Jul 13, 2012
    Simi Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Linsey Orr
    During the first annual service on my "new" 2005 F430, the technician spotted weepage from the water pump so I had it replaced. It was very expensive, but I did not want to run the risk of a sudden failure. I suppose I could have waited, but it would have been just putting off the inevitable since I plan on keeping the car for several years.

I was told that the water pump and engine oil pump are combined into a single unit. That may be a good idea for packaging, but it makes a pricey water pump repair. And water pumps, as we all know, have highly-variable durability...some fail in a couple of years, others seem to last forever.

5. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    +1; the variability seems to be the quality of the bearing seal. If its good the water pump lasts a very long time, if it leaks the bearings and their lubrication may as well have cancer. The variability may be in the installation of said bearing. Some say its related to the coolant, but apart from being corrosive to the seal, I dont agree. All coolant will cause the bearings MTBF to drop logarithmically upon contact with the race/ball surfaces. I could also see a belt torque issue causing issues if grossly over torqued, which on this engine is not likely.

6. TAFORZA

TAFORZA Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008
    San Francisco, USA
    Full Name:
    Tony A.
    Not uncommon. Will get worse with time. It is only sold as an assembly which includes the oil pump. Expensive repair but should be done.

7. VirginiaF1

VirginiaF1 Rookie

Mar 5, 2013
    Ferrari F430 (05-08) Parts : Table 19 - WATER/OIL PUMP

Looks like about $3,800 for the Water/Oil Pump part.

Be nice if one could simply change out the failed bearing.

Let us know how you progress..
    mikey

8. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

#8 jpk, Aug 12, 2013
  9. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Most water pumps are a few hundred $ max and are readily available rebuilt. This is because rebuilding them for the most part is a bearing and gasket replacement and some bead blasting or other cleanup. The rebuilt units usually land at half of an OEM part.

Unfortunately the F430 is a bit too unique.

Ricambi sells the unit for $3760 : Ferrari F430 Spider Parts : Table 19 - WATER/OIL PUMP

Here is a $170 water pump rebuild kit for the F430 : 430 Water Pump Rebuild Kit

10. carbonm

carbonm Karting

Mar 13, 2016
    Has anyone rebuilt one of these pumps? Is this $170 kit a viable option to fix what is commonly failing?

11. Tally Ho

Tally Ho Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2007
    Niceville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Also take note that your oil pump runs off of the same shaft. If the water pump bearing seizes you will lose the oil pump as well. I had mine replaced last year for the same weeping. It wasn't bad but I was not willing to take the chance. The repair lightened my wallet $4880 parts and labour.

12. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i was told that some seepage will happen even on a new water pump after 3/5000 miles how many miles on ur new water pump

13. Tally Ho

Tally Ho Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2007
    Niceville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Less than 500. I sold the car in Feb so if it seeps again it will be the new owner's issue. The service documents went with the car. The part warranty was only 12 months and that was up the day I sold it.

14. Jsoderbe

Jsoderbe Rookie

Aug 16, 2013
    Sweden/Florida
    Hi, have anyone experienced that the corresponding part in the oil section of the pump leaks oil? I have a drip of oil at that exact point, hence my question.

Regards,

Johan

15. carbonm

carbonm Karting

Mar 13, 2016
    7k repair... F will want to replace the unit as the fix.

16. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    I have one I just took apart. The AWItalia kit at $395 is a decent kit....but you must use your existing face seals to mate with the mechanical seal face. Hopefully within the next 45 days, the face seals will be available. Oil leaking from the weep hole means the rotary shaft seal 30mm OD (OEM seal made by Angst-Pfizter) is wearing. That is a spring loaded seal. The AW kit for $395 has that seal along with the two bearings and the two stationary mechanical seals.
    these pumps are easy to rebuild if all the parts are available. There is presently a new water/oil pump on eBay for $2300

17. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

My old 430 spider with around 8k miles water pump was replaced too ~ 7,000 by Ferrari of Tampa. You can get 10% off if you are a FCA member. Ps. They also found another ~ 8,000 worth of must fix this too. I've felt your pain bro.

18. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    Hi Joel,

Where do you get the face seals from? Ricambi? Got a part #?

Thanks!

Isi

19. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
  20. Jsoderbe

Jsoderbe Rookie

Aug 16, 2013
    Sweden/Florida
    Ok, thanks guys. Better to catch this earlier than later! I will definately rebuild, the price of a new one is a joke, and it seems to be pretty easy to remove. Will do that at the same time as the clutch this winter!

Regards,

Johan

21. Doug2D

Doug2D Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    #21 Doug2D, Jun 21, 2017
  22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    @Jgivoo - thanks for sharing this great info.

Question please: how difficult is it to remove and replace the pump assembly?

And how difficult is it to rebuild with new internals?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

23. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    #23 Jgivoo, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    I can only answer the rebuilt part since I have two apart.
    Once off the vehicle, loosen the three nuts securing the water pump to the oil pump.
    Remove the allen head bolts securing the waterpump together and pay attention to he short bolts and there location.
    Remove the seeger ring(internal clip) and wave washer from the outer bearing (bearing furthest on opposite side of water pump from the oil pump0
    Separate the pump housing by driving the shaft away from the outer bearing while holding or securing the outer pump housing. Once separated, you will be left with the inner housing complete with the impeller and shaft. To separate the impeller and shaft from the inner housing, remove the seeger ring and wave washer(internal clip) from the inner housing bearing and remove bearing. Under the bearing, on the shaft, is another seeger ring (external clip) attached to the shaft. This will require seeger ring pliers with a long reach. Remove this clip before you try and separate the shaft from the casing as it holds the shaft and housing together. To remove impeller and shaft, drive shaft away from the housing. This will be self explanatory. Next remove the stationary part of the mechanical seals (two total) from both housings. On the inner housing, remove the axial shaft seal. the rotating part of mechanical seals slide off the impeller shaft. You will not need to remove the impeller from the shaft to rebuild the pump.

To rebuild, reverse the procedure using new orings, mechanical seals, axial seal and bearings. Note that the seeger rings can be reused unless you deform them trying to remove them.

24. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Jgivoo,
    Thank your providing these parts/service. While I hope I never need them, it is terrific this will be available to the 430 community. Will you be selling direct or through retailers such as Ricambi, AW Italian, etc. ?

25. Aeroman

Aeroman Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    DFW Texas
    As someone who is currently shopping for a F430 spider, I'm curious if this weep hole can be inspected during a typical PPI? It sounds like the evidence of leakage should be something to check for during an inspection.