How do you properly drive a 360 F1 transmission | FerrariChat

How do you properly drive a 360 F1 transmission

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, May 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Need input from the experts please. I read some threads but they were a few years old.

First off, I am 50 years old (not a newbie to driving) 'learned to drive on a stick shift at 15.

My 2001 BMW M5 was a stick and loved it.
    My 2006 BMW M6 Coupe and 2009 M6 Cabrio was SMG / Sequential Manual Gear Shift. BMW's version of F1.

BMW's SMG was not perfect but I loved it because it sure shifts faster than I can, blipping throttle was always spot on.

Sold my BMW's and now have a 2003 360 Spider F1, car only has 10K miles when I bought it 3 months ago. I now have put in over 3,000 miles on my 360 and have learned how to drive the F1 in the "NORMAL" daily street driving. I accelerate fairly hard, corner hard, brake hard, all normal stuff on how these cars are designed and meant to be driven.

Now I need advice from the experts here on advance driving techniques of F1 transmission.

Specifically:

Taking Off:
    How do you take off hard without burning the clutch? What technique do you apply so that clutch engagement is immediate?

When accelerating hard do you just mash the pedal to the floor and shift before red line?
    Or do you gradually increase pressure on the gas pedal? (I dont lift up on the gas pedal during gear shifts.)

Slowing down:
    Do you downshift gears or do you use your brakes primarily to slow down?
    At stop, do you just step on the brakes & hold or you shift to Neutral?

Passing:
    I read press the gas pedal hard just before downshifting. Tried this and this is amazing.
    How many of you do this or know this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was told the major wear to the clutch will come from hard starts.
    They said to get a bit of a rolling start (clutch engaged) then giver hell. I haven't down shifted yet. The car is still to new to me. I'll at with it more as I get comfortable.

4. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I agree -- hard starts that slip the clutch will accelerate wear as will reversing up inclines. I just let it engage before getting in it and then I usually wait until I'm in second. As far as the accelerator pedal is concerned I rarely mash it all the way to the floor as this car has so much power that I'll probably never use all of it.
    Alan

5. Sleepy996

Sleepy996 Karting

May 1, 2014
    @MR.HOTEL_SLIPPERS
    Also a new 360 owner here and have been doing research on proper ways to drive with the F1 and everyone keeps coming back to me and telling me to drive it in Sport mode ALL the time. Quicker harder shifts equal les clutch wear I keep hearing. Avoid reversing up hills and your good to go. I have yet to launch the car aggressively in 1st gear and doubt I ever will. I love the way the 360 looks and the exhaust note is a pure orchestra for my ears. If I cared about launch control and quarter mile times I would have purchased a GTR.

6. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Unfortunately I find that the take off is pedestrian if you don't want to wreck the clutch. I wait until I am going (maybe 2or 3 car lengths down the road) before putting my foot down. Especially with a Tubi you are making a racket but not going anywhere for the first 2 or 3 seconds or so.

Don't worry - I very soon catch up the other cars that left the lights with me.

7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Very true.

But I bet some of you have learned something new / better within the last 2 years or so of driving. We all learn something everyday.

I compare that to sex. My techniques are better today than 2 years ago :)

Thanks for the link!

Dan

8. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    avoid backing up hills, I went to a restaurant the other night and I had to reverse up a slight hill and do some back-n-forth to get the car situated between other cars...my clutch STANK figured I lost another few %points on my clutch with was already around 20% left last time it was checked.

Other than that the only thing I do different is watch my take-off's, once car is moving and clutch is engaged, I do anything and everything I want from up-shifting at any rev do downshifting at any rev I want, its just a normal car once its moving...no launches ever.

9. HOBE456

HOBE456 Karting

Apr 27, 2012
    Hobe Sound, FL
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The F1 transmissions for dummies suggestions are exactly what the Ferrari of Palm Beach mechanics told me to the "T".

So that's what I do, especially going to neutral and coasting to a light.

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks everyone for chiming in. I will do more reading this weekend and learn from the Pros.

11. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
  12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    So I read most of the threads, clicked on the links provided and watched the video.

Thanks again to everyone for chiming in.

I learned the hard way that hard launches is not a good idea with the F1 as it burns the clutch. I smelled my clutch yesterday when I tried a hard launch for the first time. Wont be doing that again. Live and learn.

So far, looks like I am doing almost everything properly / as recommended.

The only thing I do different is during drive off's I always give the throttle a quick blip / punch the gas a little so that the clutch will engage sooner than later.

Does anyone see any harm on doing that? Or am I not supposed to do that?

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
  14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If you just think of it as a three pedal with one pedal missing, and drive it like you always drove your three pedals you will really enjoy F1.

The reverse problem is a 360 problem, not an F1 problem. For whatever reason, Ferrari chose a reverse ratio almost as high (numerically low ratio) as second gear, so starting in reverse is just as bad on the clutch of a three pedal 360 as it is on an F1 360. Ferrari put a much lower speed reverse gear in the F430, so it does not suffer from that problem as badly. The 550 and 575M have the same problem of a high reverse gear.

15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Very well put. Thanks Terry. And I do enjoy my F1. I just want to learn how to do things correctly and avoid premature clutch wear.

But on a 3 pedal we have the capability of just "dumping the clutch" though.
    I dont think that's possible on the F1.

On my 2009 BMW M6 with SMG - a hard press on the gas pedal immediately grabs the clutch, there's no risk on burning the clutch through "feathering".

I am just trying my best to learn the 360 F1 through input from the experts here.

Thanks always for your posts. I always learn something new from you.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dan- If you do that on a 360 three pedal or F1 360 (with the throttle), it is rough on the clutch. Turn off your ASR and stomp on the throttle on take-off, and the F1 360 will surprise you. Just do not do it too often.

SMG has wet clutch packs like a California-F12 DCT, so there is no comparison to the single plate, dry clutch in a 360. Unfortunately, most Ferraris have not come with a strong clutch like those on, for instance, a Corvette, so they do not respond well to abuse. The F430 and 599 twin plate clutches are better in this respect, but still not like an American V8 clutch.

17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Excellent info.

Many thanks again Terry. Greatly appreciated.

Dan

18. Rnye

Rnye Karting

Mar 17, 2014
    Las Vegas, NV
    '99 here with original TCU (for now). Had the dealer reset the PIS.. helped a little but it's still CRAP.

Manually blipping the throttle on a downshift yields much quicker engagement which is nice, but I cannot stand the rollout. Working on a CS TCU now...

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    On a 99, all the dealer can do is initiate an auto set of PIS, so getting the CS TCU is a good idea. PIS can be manually set on late 360 and CS TCUs.

20. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I read a million threads on this subject before I bought the car.
    I am not going to "baby" a car to avoid a bit of clutch wear, so I keep $3500 aside in the secret account just to replace the clutch.

These 360's with F1 are simply awesome under hard acceleration, and I want to enjoy it rather than try to avoid the inevitable!

As it happens I bought the car almost 2 years ago with 11% wear.
    The other day, and after 7000ks it is at 22%. Big deal. I'm having fun :)

John Maxwell likes this.
  21. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    As Terry said the tech cannot set the PIS on a 99. I purchased a re-flashed CS TCU from Eric355 and I love it. Should also help with clutch life (but sadly not with a leaking rear main oil seal). :(
    Alan

22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Sorry to hear about your leaking rear main oil seal Alan :(

23. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I agree 100%. I dont baby my car either. I drive it the way its designed and meant to be driven. Everyone that I had given a ride so far almost wet their pants.

Its just the first time I drove mine really hard on take off and I smelled the clutch - told myself time to do research and ask the experts how to minimize or avoid burning the clutch. Maybe I am doing something wrong or there's an advance technique to learn.

I myself try and learn something everyday.

By the way, clutch replacement here in Seattle from the dealership is between $8,000.00 - $13,000.00 dollars depending on what other parts have to be replaced together with the clutch (throw out bearing, flywheel, etc.)

As Alan can attest to - just the rear main oil seal replacement alone can cost $3K here in the US.

Love my car, the smile it puts on my face everytime I drive it is priceless. Enjoying it everyday and driving it as much as I can.

Thanks for chiming in.

Dan

24. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    So how many guys here always coast to N when coming to a light instead of downshifting? I downshift all the way to second then coast in N to a stop.
    And how many actually let the ECU downshift for you in manual mode? I have never done this.
    BTW...This 430 is my second F1 car. I had a 355 prior. Always good to see what others do to see if what I do is the norm.

25. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I do ~50% of the time Steve.

When I see traffic coming to a stop about half of the time I shift to Neutral and let the car coast. The other half of the time I downshift to the lower gears myself.

BTW, I always drive my car in Sports Mode. Tried Automatic mode once and just like on my BMW M6 - boring, sluggish.

Yep, always good to hear what others do.

Time to go for a drive and head on to a local car show.

You all have a great weekend!

To all the served in the military like I did - God Bless You and thank you for your service to our country.

Exotics At Redmond Town Center | The Largest Weekly Exotic Car Gathering North of Los Angeles

Dan