F430 does not start! CST ,ABS, eDIFF, suspension and tire pressure lights on. | FerrariChat

F430 does not start! CST ,ABS, eDIFF, suspension and tire pressure lights on.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Sequoia, Aug 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sequoia

Sequoia Rookie

Apr 3, 2012
    Hello fellows,

I have tried to start my F430 spider yesterday afternoon (after having driven it normally in the morning), only to find out that the engine would not start and that a strong rattling noise would happen every time I pressed the ignition button.
    CST ,ABS, eDIFF, suspension and tire pressure lights come on when I try to start the engine.
    The brake pedals are also feel quite hard when I step on them during the ignition attempts.
    I have tried to disconnect the battery switch from the trunk compartment, wait 5 minutes and try to restart the engine again, without success.
    The F1 pump still makes its normal noise when I open the door and the battery still has juice on it.
    I am just afraid to keep trying and really drain the battery, or make the problem even worse.
    Any help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated!!!
    Thank you!

2. Sequoia

Sequoia Rookie

Apr 3, 2012
  3. Tally Ho

Tally Ho Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2007
    Niceville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Did you measure your voltage across the posts? My F430 had the same reaction when the battery went low enough not to start the car. I charged the battery and no issues.

4. Sequoia

Sequoia Rookie

Apr 3, 2012
    Thank you for the input !
    I have not done that yet. By the way, what type of device did you use to measure it?
    And in case the charge is low, what is the best place to put the cables to jump start it? I have a little portable jump starter.... .

5. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Jump starting is not recommended. Could cause major problems.
    Put it on the charger and leave it for 24 hrs.

6. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Don't try to jump start the car. If your battery is completely drained and it doesn't charge, replace it with a new one and try again to restart the car.

7. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 on the above tips.
    Flat battery under 12V do not jump start, recharge and or replace.
    Do not turn on the ignition again until you are 100% sure it's got 12V. You could be in a world of pain; the ECU’s and dash are very sensitive to voltage spikes and low voltage situations.

8. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
  9. Tally Ho

Tally Ho Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2007
    Niceville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Any battery operated digital multimeter will do the trick. As others have said, do not jump start it.

10. Sequoia

Sequoia Rookie

Apr 3, 2012
    Thank you all for your input and support!!! I really appreciate it!
    I will follow the recommendations and keep you posted of my progress, so that my case may be a helpful reference for future fellow members in the future.

11. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Ferrari electrical gremlins strike again. Proper battery charge keeps them back in their caves. :)
    Alan

12. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sounds like to me your battery crapped out on you. Please keep us posted.

13. big_guy

big_guy F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeap, that sound is a bad battery.

BTW it has been stated here numerous times that you should not jump start your 360/430. My car was recently jump started buy a qualified Ferrari mechanic from a battery pack. The car started no problems, nothing got fried.

Rifledriver/Rustybitts (hope I spelled those correctly!) -- if you are reading this thread, will appreciate your insights.

14. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    +1 dead battery. Easy fix. When you replace your battery- it is now time to add a tricle charger pig tail to the new one. When the car is not in use for more then a week, I put mine on the charger. Batteries will last 2x as long. Never have battery issues again. If you don't have a multimeter- and don't know when ur battery was replaced last. Save the $50 on the meter and just replace the battery- I replace mine 4 years even if it's fine to avoid any issues. Ferrari's are no fun when they trouble your mind.

15. Sequoia

Sequoia Rookie

Apr 3, 2012
    Hello again everyone,

The problem has been solved!!!
    You guys were right on the money; it was a problem related to a dying battery.
    I've brought a mechanic from an authorized Ferrari shop to my house and after running some tests he did jump start the car back to life. Boy, was I glad to hear the roar of that engine again!!!
    Anyway, he recommended that I change the battery(which was still the original from the factory) and keep the car on a trickle charge if I am not planning on using it very often.
    I drove the car to his shop, got a new battery and am a happy camper again!!!
    Thank you all again for the help and sound advice !!!

16. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    Congrats! Great outcome.

17. chuck246cp@aol.com

Aug 12, 2010
    raleigh n c
    Full Name:
    chuck Grantham
    Hmmmmm? When one of my cars doesn't start, I call a mechanic. Glad you got around
    to that solution......

18. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    My dealer said there isn't anything wrong with jump starting. Back when I didn't have a ferrari tender, jump started twice. Why the issue ESP since any other car can be jump started? More curious

By the way, sounds like a dead battery

19. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Awesome! Glad to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. mtmilam

mtmilam Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Full Name:
    Mark Milam
    Its Always the Battery :D:D

21. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    Anything outside of a week with any of my cars and they are each on cteck battery tenders. They seem to charge, maintain, and are even said to restore when required.