F430 dash leather shrinkage | FerrariChat

F430 dash leather shrinkage

Discussion in '360/430' started by unkiemotorhead, Aug 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. unkiemotorhead

Nov 14, 2013
    I'm interviewing a 2009 F430 which exhibits shrinkage of the dash top leather and some warping of the defroster outlets. Anyone ever seen that? $4500 to re-upholster/repair. I can speculate on the cause/circumstances but would be interested in your experience, observations and speculation first. tnx! Great community!
    unkie

2. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    very common.the leather dash is very sensitive to sun.also the air bag area shrinks too.

3. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I've always wondered why sun makes it shrink. Mine has a very very small 6" long ridge that disappears after the sun gets on it.
    Alan

4. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    It is just dyed dead skin, heat and UV rays do all kinds of bad stuff to it.

5. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    depending on severity fo shrinkage, might not be expensive to fix - need pics

6. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Cost is similar to an estimate I received about 6 months ago. $4900 to remove and re-cover. My 360 dash has several bubbles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Agree on price if needs to be removed but on small areas can sometimes can be stretched in place

8. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

This car has spent a good amount of time in the sun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  10. unkiemotorhead

Nov 14, 2013
    #10 unkiemotorhead, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Once again, thanks so much for your input! Great community! I need to ponder this further. I've attempted to attach a photo from the Ferrari dealer PPI.
    unkie
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Kevin, I've been contemplating getting the leather iron, just haven't got around to it yet. Plus, I'm a little hesitant about creating more of an issue and and then I'm stuck where I absolutely have to get the dash re-done. They are available on Amazon for about $30. I guess it's just apprehension about being the guinea pig.

12. MT360

MT360 Rookie

Feb 1, 2004
    Newport Beach, Calif
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have the exact issue in my 360. Seems to be getting worst. I was told by the dealer that the cost to repair is approx $4800. With resepct to the iron, I brought this up to several repair shops and all of them said it would not work. That once the glue underneath the leather loosens it never adheres the same. While the fix may appear to cure the issue, it is only a matter of time until the glue again drys and becomoes too brittle to hold the leather in place.

13. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    well, that helps. no iron for me. That's a shame too... $30 vs.$4900.

14. phishgoldy

phishgoldy Karting

May 12, 2014
    NYC
    I read on one of the threads (can't find it now) that you can inject fresh glue to the problem spot with a syringe through the stitching in the leather.

15. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I would definitely try this! Just need to research the correct glue.

16. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Practically speaking, it depends on where the bubbles are. I have three bubbles, 2 in the middle of the dash and one by the hump near the windshield. You would need a very long needle - like 6 inches long at least - to get to many areas.

17. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #17 Kevin Rev'n, Sep 2, 2014
    Seems "Do-able" but I understand the trepidation.

Did you try a heavy application of Leatherique?

I might be tempted to do this prior to iron and glue. If you use iron with something for a barrier, like an old tee shirt to avoid burning you might prove them wrong!

18. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Bumping and old thread as it's the only one I found on the topic. I'm looking at a 430 Spider that has shrinking around the defroster vents. Almost identical to the pics in this thread.

Just curious if by using some quality conditioners such as Leatherique and using a sun shade when parked if it can at least be stopped from getting any worse?

I'm not all excited about shelling out $5k to fix/replace and of course concerned if the repair would match that of the OEM leather.

19. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    #19 rizzo308, May 15, 2015
    If ur leather has started shrinking around the def vents then its well and truly dead for the second time there is nothing u can apply to it to make it supple enough to be able to stretch it back into place. The sponge glued between the fibre glass dash and leather has deteriorated. The syringe trick will work but will be a temporary fix my dash bubbled big-time to the left of the temp sensor on the dash and around the vents so I bit the bullet and pulled the dash recovered it and made up new def vents out of alloy and have a few spare sets if anyone is contemplating covering there dash and want new upgraded vents PM me. Gud luk

20. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    This was my brain numbing idea, and I have yet to try it. But this Sunday I am actually going to try it. I managed to get a really thin syringe from my vet, and after testing it with some glue it actually works.

All I need to do now is poke that sucker into the dash leather and see what happens.

Like I said earlier, how much worse can I make it. It's worth a go.

Will post the results.

21. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Sh#t Yeh def worth a shot, u got nothing to lose.

22. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Go to a quality car upholstery shop and have them make a real leather "dashmat" with the same stitching as your dash. Place it on top of your dash. You will hardly notice and save $4,500.00.

23. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve

Did you ever try this?

24. Buster 1

Buster 1 Rookie

May 7, 2016
    Joplin, Mo
    Full Name:
    Greg Neely
    I've read many post regarding the shrinking of the leather on F430 dashes. I'm no different.
    My problem is small. The passenger airbag. And a little on the RH side near the windshield.
    Who is the best shop to perform this repair?
    Again only with a glimmer of hope maybe it could be re-glued.
    Sad think is my car never sets out. :(

25. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I used the needle trick with a long flexible tube to pump glue under the vents. My vents now are better than before. I have a small bubble on the leather and I'm thinking of using an insulin size siringe to do the same. I just need to figure out what kind of a glue to use. The glue needs to be very thin.