how many 6 speed 430's were made | FerrariChat

how many 6 speed 430's were made

Discussion in '360/430' started by jnk, Nov 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    Does anyone have any idea about the the number of 430 spyder 6 speeds made and what was the last year that a 6 speed was offered?

2. mtmilam

mtmilam Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Full Name:
    Mark Milam
    I just bought a 08' 430 6 speed....I thought i saw here that about 10 to 13 percent were made with 6 speed....How many are in the States, I don't know....Some say that 08 was the last year, but i've heard that 09' models were offered in 6 speed, just don't know how many were made...probably another 200 or so...is my best guess. someone here may have better numbers.

3. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    There are very few 430 here in the states with 6 MT they are fetching a huge premium nowadays being the last mid engine V8 variant to have a 3 pedal. I would estimate less than 5% conservatively or maybe even less here in America the F1 trans was almost always fitted into the car, it was widely considered as the goto gearbox choice as dealers procured inventory for faster sales turnaround. If you take a sample of true 3 pedal cars (not the ones advertized as "manual" and have an F1 box, lots of those online) and devide by the total F430 available say on autotrader then the number comes out to roughly 5% or less, of course this is just kind or giving a statistical estimate.

4. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    As a guide here are UK registrations:
    F430 spider manual - 128
    F430 spider F1 - 847

Just over 13% of Spiders were manual.

5. unkiemotorhead

Nov 14, 2013
    I have an '09 3 pedal 430 coupe. Unicorn. I too and trying to sort out production numbers. Here are some clues I've gotten so far. Hopefully those more knowledgeable will chime in.

I found this post below from June 2009, ....it may or may not be too old to be applicable.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430/247022-f430-total-production-numbers.html
    "This year (2009) is supposed to be the last year for the F430. I heard from a reliable source that the US will get very few F430s and F430 Spiders (approximately 30 and 100 respectively?). I try to keep track of as many Ferraris as possible and, so far, I have 34 2009 model year F430 Berlinettas in the US and 51 2009 model year F430 Spiders. Each model's production seems to increase from its predecessor, so I imagine that Ferrari produced more F430s and F430 Spiders than 360 Modenas and 360 Spiders. Ferrari made a worldwide total of 8,500 360 Modenas and 7,500 360 Spiders. So far, I have a total of 3,327 F430s and 4,094 F430 Spiders."

From this we conclude that this database has 1/3 or 1/2 of the total F430 production? You tell me. :) Monstrous database regardless, which we appreciate!

One of the regulars who maintains a database wrote this to me in response to an inqury:
    "Hi Unkie, I sure am being far from complete as I still have to enter too many records into my db, but currently the db shows 370 Berlinetta with Manual transmission." (04-09)

If roughly 60% were spiders and 40% were coupes (someone will correct me) we might be able to estimate from that.

F-Register.com probably has clues too (including a reg database) but I've not taken the time to sign up and explore yet.

If more 430s were made than 360s (as postulated by a wizard above), let's assume 20k total worldwide for easy math, and therefore 12k spiders. 5% of that is 600 spiders and 400 coupes with 3 pedals.

unkie

6. unkiemotorhead

Nov 14, 2013
    And in reviewing the link I posted above, another wizard (wizard for me is a highly complimentary term....someone who knows a great deal) postulates that fewer 430s were made than 360s....so instead of estimating 20k 430s, let's assume 12k total. 5% of that is 600 3pedal cars, 60% or whatever of where were spiders. unkie

7. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I had too much time on my hands one day and went through all the 430s listed on cars.com. There were about 270. I looked at the photos of all those listed as manuals and most were not. I found 4 true manuals. There may have been others without photos but I simply discarded them from the stats.

Although I don't have the actual stats, I'm confident far less than 10% of the 430s delivered by our local dealer had 3 pedals. I know one guy who wanted a stick but the allocation never came, so he took a paddle car.

Dave

8. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    ^^^ Yes exactly, this is what I was saying also. If you look at what's out there and it's just getting rarer and rarer each day, with the price delta increasing based on how a given F430 is optioned. There really are VERY few true 3 pedal cars, most of the ones you see on the ads are miss-labeled and are really F1 paddle cars. Last few times I checked I only saw 4 or 5 true 3 pedal cars in a sample size of 250 - 300 cars somewhere in that total availability range.

9. Ken458

Ken458 Karting

Jul 25, 2011
    I am also curious about the number of six speed cars in the US. I just bought an 09 Spider 3 pedal that is claimed to be the last 430 spider manual by the original owner as well as the original selling dealer. While it may not be the last it has to be at the end of production as it was not delivered until August of 09. The data plate shows it was built in June of 09. Anyone here have any 09 3 pedal figures? BTY the car was in absolutely new condition with 250 miles on the clock. It was only used as a show car. Yes it runs and drives fine as it was serviced every year. Thanks for any information.

10. unkiemotorhead

Nov 14, 2013
    134282 has undertaken the Herculean task of developing a database of all Ferraris, not just our F430s. Yeow! If you have a six speed, considering reporting the SN and info to him, to confirm or expand his database. He has seen my car before so it was already in his database. Big Brother is watching. verycool. He has recently reported the following to me:
    =============================
    "As of right now, I currently have 4,081 F430 Berlinettas in my database, and 5,006 F430 Spiders. Also, as of right now, I have 75 2009 USA model F430 Berlinettas in my database, and 117 2009 USA model F430 Spiders in my database.
    While I'd like to believe that I've miraculously documented every 2009 USA model F430 Berlinetta and 2009 F430 Spider in the US, I don't believe that part of my work is done - so there's the very real possibility that there are still more 2009 USA model F430s out there, yet to be recorded.
    Of the 75 2009 USA model year F430 Berlinettas in my database, I have six that are confirmed manuals. So no matter what the true production number is, there's no doubt that yours is a very rare example."

11. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    There have been a few threads on this. A search may reveal a bit more info.

I was always told approximately 10% were MT units. So find out total production # and you have a ballpark figure.

12. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Back during the 360 & 430 production runs, the 6-speed wasn't popular as F1 was the wave of the future. I bet nobody guessed a manual would be so desirable. Though I wonder if the production #s were backwards (ie more manuals than 6 speeds), who knows which would be worth more

13. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    That's an interesting question. These threads can look a bit biased as they are manual owners enthusing about manuals as you get similar threads for F1 owners......

To illustrate this......I was looking at 430's on the main UK sales site earlier (for no reason if the other half is reading ;)) and as usual I sort by price, low to high. When you get past the first few which are POA, starship mileage and LHD imported cars, roughly 40% of the first 15 cars are 6MT against the relatively low production ratio. I actually think in the UK the desire to buy 6MT doesn't reflect the forum talk.

14. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    ^^^ But Jeremy Clarkson preferred a "proper manual" to the "flappy paddle" rubbish he said many times, in everything from Aston Martins to Ferraris! haha :)

15. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Curious myself because my wife loves her '07 3-pedal, I looked through all 35 '07 F430s offered at DuPont. There were none, despite a few that were described as "manual." When you looked at the photos you could see they were also F1s. The other F1s were described as either "automatic," "F1," or "automanual." This agrees with HARDTOP's survey. If there are any out there, they are not for sale.

16. Masher44

Masher44 F1 World Champ

Jan 15, 2008
    Sticks are slowly getting hoovered up into collections. Both 430 & 599s. Very few are around. I had the choice and went with F1 which I don't regret at all. Except when I will sell mine. :(

17. AussiePete

AussiePete Rookie

Sep 6, 2014
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Peter Chambers
    Mine is a 360 manual 6sp . while looking I drove manual 348s and 355s, then a F1 Modena, then tracked down a 6speed Modena. and brought it! Was worth the wait, all the history of a manual Ferrari, rolled in to the latest model. Never found a manual 430, to drive. There has been one for sale in Aust recently. $185K
    The manual 430/ 360 drive is modern and traditional all at once. so my vote is the manual with metallic gate , you control the rpm match at change down this is something when mastered a very rewarding experience.
    My new WRX is a flappy paddle., like it too!

18. Ken458

Ken458 Karting

Jul 25, 2011
    No doubt the 3 pedal cars are rare but how rare is the question. I sent my info to 134282 to see what he has on the subject. I know that prices are going up for 3 pedal cars. I had a 458 and while it was a better (faster) car than the 430 I just didn't feel very connected to it. I enjoy driving the 3 pedal more for a lot less money if that makes sense.

TheDiffuser likes this.
  19. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Most people think paddles were an option but Ferrari actually sold two and three pedal cars as separate models so they must have the numbers.

Dave

20. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I believe 430 / 599 / 612 was the last series of Ferraris to have manual offered.

The 612 has about 10% MT, which is expected as a 2+2, I guess. I was hoping the 430 crowd would have opted for a much high percentage. Yet, I'm seeing some 430 MT selling as high as 430 Scuderias. :(

Thankfully, there are a high percentage of MT 360s and 355s. So, getting MT versions of those should be readily available at little or no premium for the near term.

Sadly, as the overall number of MT Ferraris dwindles or are consumed by greedy prospectors looking to drive up prices, the future does not look good. Also, younger drivers are getting little or no exposure to MT, which further reduces the reasons for Ferrari to build new ones again.

21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    For most of the post 360 machines, the range for three pedals has been in the 10-15% range. 360s were much higher. 599s were very low (39 out of 5000?), and there were less than 10 Californias with a 6 speed, three pedal transaxle. 612 estimate only 10-15% out of 3025.

360 Modena------- 29.9% (exact)
    360 Spider--------- 28.0% (exact)
    575M Maranello---- 11.9% (exact)
    Superamerica------7.0% (exact)
    F430 Coupe UK-----15.0% (partial data)
    F430 Spider UK-----13.3% (partial data)

22. cabbott2

cabbott2 Karting

Oct 27, 2014
    chicago/ Iowa
    I just don't understand why they got rid of them altogether. Not everyone wants to race. They know this or they would not make the FF which is clearly a very fast Gran Tour car, but not a "race car" like the 458. I think the F430s sold higher F1 numbers because that was what was available. Have an F1 now, or wait 4 months for a manual...so most elected for the instant gratification. I would probably do the same...sadly. But that re-enforced their false perception.

I also do not like the fact that Ferrari has moved away from mid-engine cars. As late as the mid 90s they had 348, Mondial T, 512TR and one front engine car. Though I have nothing against the front engine cars...to me, a Ferrari is mid-engined, gated shifter. The 458 is gorgeous, but a manual would be nice. Actually would like to see a new mid engine entry level car. Before the California came out, there were concept pics of a new 246 Dino looking car. That + manual would be like printing money.

Alright, I will stop creeping and get back to my 308/328 section :)

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You are young. To many of us, Ferraris were front engine V12s, and those are much handier for grand touring. Primary reason why Ferrari has returned to them is improved usefulness in day to day driving.

24. cabbott2

cabbott2 Karting

Oct 27, 2014
    chicago/ Iowa
    LOL! I am mid 40's. I know Ferraris history and of the love of the front engined V12s...but I think it is relative as to the "jumping in" period. When I was a teen in the early 80s, Ferraris were 512BBs 308s and Mondials. That has always just stuck.

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    To me, you are young. My first Ferrari was a Dino 246 in 1975 traded towards a Daytona in 1978.