Sold my 458 for a Scuderia | FerrariChat

Sold my 458 for a Scuderia

Discussion in '360/430' started by koop, Nov 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    #1 koop, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I owned my 2012 Italia for just about six months and in that short time I realized that, despite being a great car in many ways, it just wasn't all that exciting unless I was doing illegal speeds. The sound in the lower rpm range was a bit disappointing and overall the entire car felt too refined and synthetic. The scuderia on the other hand is a riot at any speed and can perform just as well as the italia at higher limits as well. The sound, steering, transmission, road feel all contribute to a much more raw and connected driving experience than in the italia. It must be the closest anyone can get to a racecar experience from a modern production street car. I have also driven a Speciale and while it did perform a bit better than the standard 458, it wasn't anything like the scud. In fact, it mostly felt like a standard 458 with a bit heavier steering and deeper exhaust note. Perhaps buyers these days just want more refinement or it could be all the safety & emission regulations, but somehow I doubt Ferrari (or any manufacturer) will ever make another car like the CS or Scud again. Even at the prices today I think it’s a bargain for the kind of experience it delivers. I was a bit hesitant selling the 458 and going "backwards" to the 430 platform, but honestly I feel like I've made a big jump forward in terms of overall enjoyment. The only thing I miss from the italia is the modern design, but the scuderia's more aggressive and muscular looks are starting to really grow on me. Even the design of the engine bay and interior make the car feel extra special. To anyone that's considering buying a 458, I encourage you to test drive a scuderia as well. I can see the 458 still appealing to those that want a more refined car for daily driving, date nights, road trips, etc. But for anyone that wants a thrilling machine that delivers every time you hop into the driver’s seat, the scuderia wins hands down. I don’t regret owning the 458 (honestly it's a great car), but my short ownership has taught me that newer isn't always better – and with that being said, the scud has now earned a permanent spot in my garage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Very cool and I agree. I don't like any new cars.

3. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    #3 Rcktrod, Nov 1, 2015
    I couldn't agree more. Picked up an 08 Scud 6 weeks ago and just love her.

4. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Welcome to the wolf pack!

Yes, the Scuderia is indeed an "old" car, but far from obsolete even against today's latest and greatest. And yes, at even today's price range, there is nothing else that offers that much of an experience as the Scuderia does.

You didn't go backwards, you just took the more exciting & scenic route!

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations and those are all great looking cars!

6. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    Thanks everyone!! I like the way you phrased it freshmeat.

Whats the name of the color on your scud Rcktrod? Looks great.

My car came equipped already with the full capristo exhaust and it just sounds amazing throughout the entire rpm range. Can't get enough of it.

7. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Thanks, it's Grigio Silverstone.

8. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    The Scud is the most important milestone for Ferraris mid-engine product line, if you drive this car you can feel it at any moment, something very special.

Schumi forever!

9. Knightrider

Knightrider Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    No doubt, the Scud is one of the best Ferraris for the money, period. I'm glad I made the decision to buy it instead of a 458, it was the right choice!

10. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    You took the right decision.

Congratulations!

:)

11. Darth_Homer

Darth_Homer Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2014
    Good choice!!! I would never let go of my scud over any 458 variant even if its a straight swap! A true Ferrari! :)

12. Jonsav

Jonsav Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2014
    Canada
    You made the right move. congrats

13. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    #13 raider1968, Nov 2, 2015
  14. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
  15. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Smart man. The 458 is a tremendous car, but I drove it max attack back to back with the Scud and it was the Scud all day for me; despite being slightly faster in the 458.

16. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #17 freshmeat, Nov 2, 2015
    To further celebrate and welcome koop's inauguration into the wolf pack, the whole gang must attach a pic of their Scuderia in any reply to this thread ;)

17. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have helmet jealousy.

18. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #19 singletrack, Nov 2, 2015
  19. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #20 MaranelloDave, Nov 2, 2015
  20. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    #21 jack, Nov 2, 2015
  21. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I can't attach a photo of a Scud, as I only have a "lowly" F430 three-pedal Spider. However, as I also have a 458 Spider, I can honestly say that the visceral experience of my F430 far surpasses that of the 458. The first 458 Italia that I drove, back in 2011, after having driven three F430s, but not yet having purchased my own, was remarkable to me in its docile nature, and I told the owner as much. The 458 is a great car, but I think that, sadly, the goose-bump-inducing nature of Ferraris like the F430 Scuderia is likely a thing of the past. I'm not letting go of my F430. It's not a Scud, but it's the next best thing! Fred

22. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Does it have yellow stripes? Any more photos of it? It looks nice.

Thank you.

23. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Through inability to do an edit, I was unable to sub-title my previous post as follows: "A non-Scud owner speaks!" Fred

24. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    #25 jack, Nov 2, 2015
    Here's some...