F1 regrets | FerrariChat

F1 regrets

Discussion in '360/430' started by Hypek9, Nov 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hypek9

Hypek9 Karting

Apr 9, 2012
    Australia
    Just wondering if anybody who has purchased or owns an F1 360 has regretted there decision and not gone with a gated 6 speed.

I'm in two minds now looking for my first car. Always owned Manuel cars.

I have driven an F1 but it was a hire car and was not impressed with the way it took off from standstill but I know that you need to work on that.

Loved the downshifting though

2. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    guarantee you most people who buy f1 won't admit to regretting it. Nature of the beast with Ferrari owners.

If you enjoy driving a manual, i seriously doubt you will want an f1.

3. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    F430 f1 and I don't regret it... Not that with the f430 I really had a choice.... Lol they are hard to come by in stick.

I always said a sports car should be a proper manual but I love my F430 with the F1

4. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not all automated manual transmissions are the same. The F1 transmission of the 360 is a relatively early automated manual and therefore shifts more slowly than more modern ones, like the one in the Scuderia. The one in the scud is amazing and tons of fun, especially on the track.

Regardless, all single-clutch automated manuals are relatively slow to engage from a start and therefore you will be slow off the line, unless you launch it, which fries the clutch. That's okay with me b/c Ferraris are not made for drag racing.

5. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #5 ferralc, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    I don't regret it at all, the F1 is a true manual with a robot pressing the clutch for you (magnetti marelli called it automated manual) so it is tricky to take off from standstill and uphills (just like a true manual).
    http://www.magnetimarelli.com/excellence/technological-excellences/amt

Newer Ferraris have dual clutch now which works more like an automatic transmission than a manual and in my mind that is why manual cars have a "nostalgia" premium nowadays but let's not forget that F1 cars were more expensive (10k if I recall correctly) than manual cars back then and the reason was, they were an advanced, faster and better option.
    Unless you are an expert at heel and toe shifting, driving a F1 gearbox in a twisted road is more fun than a manual car.

Of course at a maintenance level the manual cars are cheaper to maintain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. bigsquat

bigsquat Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2013
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I bought my 360 a few years ago and went F1 instead of manual. I really thought the F1 was cool, wanted to try it and I had really begun to hate driving manuals in traffic, which you always and up in where I live. Fast forward 2 years and I really wish I had bought a manual.
    Outside of the obvious differences I feel that the 2 cars operate so similarly that I might as well have a manual. To me the F1 is just as much of a nightmare in traffic as a manual and you really need to understand how a manual operates to drive an F1 well anyway.
    So yes, i regret it and admit it.
    That being said i do still think the F1 is cool, even in the 360, and i love the kick you get shifting near redline.

7. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Because both are manuals, I think the misconception comes from that useless "auto" button that made people believe they were actually getting an automatic car.
    It is a hassle to drive in traffic, as well as uphills and it gets tricky to take off from standstill (the lack of clutch pedal the engaging is compensated by modulating the throttle)
    The only times that "auto" button gets pressed is when I had so many dirty martinis and my wife becomes my Uber "red"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Pretty much only owned manual cars until I bought the F1. I started out set on a manual but after driving the F1 it was just too much fun. I have had it for over 10 years and haven't regretted a single mile.

Per Dave's comment, I roll it off the line until the clutch engages. That means I am often slower than the others off a light. But once the clutch is engaged you can run hard without any concern.

9. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    After 3 years with an F1 430 I am very happy--no regrets.

10. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    SO much has been written on this topic. I was in the group that only drove manuals (in my sports cars) for 20 years before taking the plunge on an F1 360 last year. I didn't think I wanted the paddle shift, but I just happened to really find a car that I fell in love with and bought it. I don't regret going to F1, but I do miss manual driving. If you ask me what I prefer, I'd probably say manual though it's not so clear cut. I think some people say that just to boast that they're a REAL "car guy!"

I still think the F1 gives me real engagement with the car/gearbox, just in a different way. You still have drives/shifts where you feel at one with the machine in a cool way.

Also, don't underestimate the distinct advantage of keeping both hands on the wheel. I almost never drive one-handed anymore, which gives more confidence on tight turns, etc. If you want to upshift/downshift the time it takes from nerve impulse in your brain to twitch your finger is much faster than moving a hand off the wheel, grabbing the shifter, manually engaging clutch, etc. I've never really tracked my car, but in that environment I think you'd be crazy to go manual, just to illustrate the point.

11. finehomes

finehomes Rookie

Aug 6, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mark Schuster
    I've owned my 360 F1 for 8 years & have no regrets. For me, burning rubber when the light turns green isn't as exciting as the shift at 8500 RPM! What a thrill!!! If you understand how the F1 works, its very easy to get along with, in my opinion.

12. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
  13. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I tracked my previous gated 355 once. I would brake on corner entry, match rev downshift, maintain set speed through corner, accelerate on exit and then upshift.

Not sure if that is correct but I don't believe there should be much shifting going on mid corner unless you're talking a big sweeper.

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I almost bought a black F1. I held off when I realized I really wanted a stick. Every day I drive mine I smile that I make the right decision and bought a stick.

IMHO there are some experiences you compromise on, and some you don't. Your special Ferrari experience shouldn't be one of them. When you buy the right car, you won't be envious of anyone. I don't envy 458's, or any newer flappy paddle Ferrari. They're nice, but they don' come in stick. :)

15. Hypek9

Hypek9 Karting

Apr 9, 2012
    Australia
    The reason I'm contemplating an F1 is most of my driving will be highway and through the twisty roads, I have no interest in driving a sports car/supercar through city streets.

That being said I think the f1 tranny would be great in these circumstances

16. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Auto if you want to track. What you describes screams a manual

17. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    I was driving my 360s F1 in the mountains today, and was thinking how cool it is to shift while cornering and not having to take a hand off the wheel.

18. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    I have E46 SMG (BMW version of F1). After a year, I converted it to manual. I prefer manual for traffic and street driving. I can drop clutch, fun for u-turns, etc. Hoeever in clear traffic, mountain run, and track driving the SMG/F1 is so much faster and fun there. So when I looked for F430, I intentionally seeked F1, although at the time I had an opportunity to get manual. 4 months now and I'm loving it and has no regret. In fact every time I got to my E46 M3 that I converted to manual, I regret I did it.

19. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    I drive a F1 F430 in Nero Scuderia, car has been pretty much problem free - I try to drive it as much as I can, I have Autocrossed it a few times, I drive it to the office when the weather is nice, etc. I regret not holding out for a Red / Tan 6 speed car.

20. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Having driven my car on the track now, I can say that the F1 is far superior to manual shifting in terms of speeds of shifts and the ability of not upsetting the car as much as a manual clutch. When traveling at high speeds, there is something gratifying by not having to remove your hands from the wheel. I've noticed that manual cars when downshifting seems to upset the cars balance a bit more. I'm sure it's different in every car, between ones offered with and with out paddle shifts.
    However, the enjoyment factor of being able to manually shift a gear by hand can't be matched with the F1. There does feel more of a connect with the car in that regard.

If you happen to have a CS TCU, the shifts are by no means slow even for a 15 year old car.

21. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I was a hard core manual guy and always made fun of people that bought sports cars with automatics. All that said, I was willing to try an F1 since it is very different than a "standard automatic". It's essentially a manual transmission in which the clutch actuation is automated.
    Thus, I always get fast upshifts and perfect rev matched down shifts that I can't do as perfectly or as fast. Because of that, the 2-3 shift under hard acceleration is intoxicating, and downshifting into a corner makes me giggle like a teenager. I have had it for 3 1/2 years so far, and I can honestly say that I don't have any regrets. When I purchased, I was open to either one. I figured that I would leave it to luck and buy the first car in great condition that came along. Of course there are times I miss the manual, I can't deny that there are times that I would trade for more involvement, rather than perfect shifts.
    The BIG down sides are that it really stinks in reverse, and in first gear when you first accelerate from a stop!

Overall, I really like it and have been lucky to not have any repairs on it. I guarantee you that if I had problems, I would be wishing that I had the stick shift.

All that said, drive both if you can. Go for the one that puts a bigger smile on your face. If you are 50/50, it may be better to go for the manual since there are less chance of repairs.
    Likewise, if you prefer the F1, just get that one.

22. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    I had no preference and ended up with an F1. Its a great system.

I'm still of the same mind. Either system is fine. If the car were right in all other respects, F1 v manual would not matter.

23. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    first ferrari was a 04 F-1, loved it…. then got a CS, shifts were incredible. Test drove a buddys F-1, no way i could go back!

not saying the original F-1 is bad.. but each generation gets that much better. Im sure if i drove a Speciale, id be looking at my CS with disgust!! LOL….

24. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The evolution of the TCU even within the lifespan of the 360 was huge. Definitely upgrade to the CS TCU if you get an earlier (99-02 I think) model. Maybe even for the later ones, but I don't have that first hand experience.

25. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    I've already decided that my SECOND ;) Ferrari will be an F1. I've driven the 360, 430, and 458 all in F1, and absolutely LOVE the feel of it. Can't wait to be able to afford my next one, and I haven't even taken delivery of my first...

Which is a 3-pedal, which I insisted should be my first Ferrari. But that's out of deference to Ferrari history, my personal love of 3-pedal driving, and market value (in that order).

But this is just my preference. Can't imagine anyone regretting the F1 unless it just gave you more headaches and repair bills than the fun and performance it's supposed to provide.