Aftermarket manifolds on but still not happy | FerrariChat

Aftermarket manifolds on but still not happy

Discussion in '360/430' started by dvb247, Jan 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    Okay, I know I've asked before but it was 6 months ago

Got an F430
    Replaced broken MKII manifolds with AP Racing manifolds
    had them Zircotec coated at great expense.

The result, car is now way to loud and has a very heavy base sound even driving slowly. There are more and more F430 owners choosing AP and FabSpeed manifolds and they are a quality item, but does anyone else think the same as me, I was hoping to meet up with another F430 owner that has them on so I can compare the noise level and the low base sound but haven't found anyone as yet?

Suggestions have been, go back the OEM MkII's, get a valve switch, neither are idea options.

This may sound silly but trying to think laterally, would a non OEM back box and tips reduce the sound, or at least take the dull base sound away? I've listened to a few YouTube videos but its hard to compare!!

2. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
  3. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    is it just the manifolds (headers) that were replaced? CAT's stock or aftermarket? and what about the muffler?

My 360 came with fabspeed headers, 200 cell CATS and a Larini muffler. The car was so loud you couldn't talk in the cabin without yelling. Had to replace all.

4. Ferrari Nube

Ferrari Nube Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    British Columbia
    I have Capristo headers, stock cats and the Capristo twin sound exhaust muffler on my 430 spider..... just bearable to me as I like the sporty sound but it can get too loud. I have considered putting back the OEM canister to "muffle" the sound more but I hate the yellowing/burnt look of the OEM canister as it ages....

Cheers
    FN

5. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I have the AP manifolds with no other exhaust mods. With the valves open, I agree that the exhaust is far too loud. I actually enjoy the bassy lope at idle, but at redline it's flat out anti-social. Fine for a track but on the streets it sends the wrong message. The right volume for me would be halfway between stock and the AP.

6. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
  7. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    That's why you need an S-Line exhaust ;) The S-Line is really high-pitch, it will reduce the heavy bass tone at low rpm and eliminate the deep droning sound also. Check out my S-Line thread.
    Here's a video of F430 with AP headers and S-Line exhaust, fellow FChat member:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK5rb1KApJ8[/ame]

8. redduke

redduke Karting

Apr 19, 2011
    Silverstone - UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    5 minutes with some metal polish fixes that.

DVB247 - do you have any pictures of your Zircotec coated headers?

9. Ferrari Nube

Ferrari Nube Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    British Columbia
    Thanks.... Just too darn lazy, I guess....LOL.

I tried some non-abrasive spray on metal cleanser but that only removed a little of the surface stuff. I guess I'll have to get some good old semi-abrasive Brasso and put some elbow grease into it.

Cheers
    FN

10. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not good for the track either as many tracks have sound limits.

11. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    #11 Cinque, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    Would the fab speed headers be quieter than the AP headers?

12. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    does s line make headers?

13. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve

No, as they are they same headers sold under a different name.

No. I asked about this already.

It's unlikely that a different brand of header would be any quieter because none of the aftermarket have a pre-cat. The pre-cat in the OEM is a restriction and acts somewhat as a muffler.

I'm not an exhaust guy but I've always thought that if a person could find a single aftermarket cat to replace the OEM cat that was equally as restrictive as the OEM pre-cat + OEM cat that it would be quieter while using a safe aftermarket header.

14. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    Yes, I am quite happy with the stock sound but would like a little more power and the safety of an aftermarket header. My stock headers are brand new but I heard they can still eventually fail.

15. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    Halleluja, I have felt for the last 6/9 months that it must be me!!!! I can't thank you enough, to read your post has made my day Perkins!!

No tracks in the UK that will allow my car on the track sporting AP's, I went to Oulton Park race circuit with Ferrari Owners Club UK just after I installed the AP's last year, I was red flagged for clocking 107db on track, even static at 4k revs it was 103db but they let me on initially hoping they could turn a blind eye, but it was crazy loud, even against track focused Ferrari's of all models.

When I installed them my initial thought was, oh ****, they are to loud, a month or so later with FOC on that fateful track day I felt totally humiliated, I felt like Alex Higgins in the snooker world, a total juvanile delinquent that other owner felt sorry for, that feeling still rises with all Ferrari meeting I've attended.

I've tried to live with them but even driving it yesterday for the first time in over a month, I still feel the same which is so maddening as they look and feel top quality.

Out of interest everyone should look at the db scale, can't recall just now the exact scale but to go from 85/90db stock to 107db is over double the volume and well in to perminant ear damage range.

16. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    #16 dvb247, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a pic of my headers, done approx 600 miles with them, I only did 1500 in my first year of ownership this coming February!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    Nathan everyone has the same worries but it's blown out of all proportion, if you wanted to be totally rest a-shored, get some smoke test tabs, seal off your exhaust and use an inflatable pump to push the smoke up the exhaust to the manifold, if they are broken the smoke will pour out into the engine bay every quickly, if they are broken, simply remove them, grind off the OEM metal heat clam, weld up the broken pipe (they always break at the same point, no where near the precat) reinstall and wrap conventional heat wrap strapping, then keep checking at will with smoke test, you don't have to take them off to smoke test.
    MY OEM MkII's are repaired and ready for use, watch my 3 YouTube videos, shows you where they break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA9C5o0bhN0

18. X2BOARD

X2BOARD Karting

Apr 29, 2007
    Trinidad
    Full Name:
    AG
    Ordering the Capristo header, cat, exhaust.... really hoping it won't be as ridiculously loud as it's sound like it would be.... while that would be awesome... I guess it would be annoying... but what about the heat ?

A buddy does heat treatment coatings and I was thinking about having the manifolds coated at the minimum....doing the whole exhaust would definitely subdue the look of a brand new setup :(

19. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    Are you thinking about putting your repaired MkIIs back on? I haven't heard of this as an option before, but would like to hear more about what peoples thoughts are on this option?

I didn't realize that just changing out the headers alone would cause such a huge and overwhelming increase in volume/sound. If I am understanding correctly, it does not sound like there is an aftermarket header replacement option that would keep volume level similar to factory (which in my opinion is pretty darn good- plenty loud, but not obnoxious)?

20. 430b

430b Karting

Sep 12, 2015
    Can the original poster clarify what his cat-back exhaust setup is? It sounds like the oem cats, the oem muffler, but with the valves open?

What is the volume with the valves closed?

21. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Looks nice to me ! :) Any more photo's ? ...

22. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Aftermarket headers are missing the precat hexagon mesh inside so the system becomes very loud

You can put the stock muffler back on but it will then be much better but a little quiet for me

I used a Tubi muffler but welded the stock valves back into the muffler tips

That way it's nice at low rpm and sounds great a high rpm

It's tough to tune them just right but it's fun when get it just right

Aftermarket headers alone are too much especially on a spider

23. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    For me with a ferrari there is never "too loud" when it comes to the exhaust system! lol

24. redmist2015

redmist2015 Rookie

Mar 29, 2015
    Somewhat amused by this thread.... a Ferrari that is too loud! I have FabSpeed headers and love the increased volume.... My 430 is a spyder and when the top is down the wail is amazing. I'm adding an OEM sport exhaust shortly.... should be crazy in all the right ways.

25. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #25 Perkins, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    Up in the canyons it's amazing and I love the sound. Around town, 107db is purely in ******bag territory and I'm sure illegal as well.