Which one would you choose? | FerrariChat

Which one would you choose?

Discussion in '360/430' started by CAW, Feb 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CAW

CAW Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Huntsville Alabama
    Full Name:
    Craig Wiggins
    I am trying to decide between two different F430s. One is a 2008 with 8100 miles and the other is a 2007 with 10,200 miles. Both are equipped almost the same except the 2007 has the hi-fi amplifier box below the center console. The 2008 had a new clutch 200 miles ago and all other basic service has been done. The 2007 had a new transmission at 1961 miles, original clutch and has never had the headers replaced. The other service supposedly has been done but there are no records. The 2008 is a dealer owned car, the 2007 is a consignment car at a dealership. The 2008 comes with a 1000 mile 30 day warranty. The 2007 comes with no warranty. I can buy the 2008 for $140K and the 2007 for $125K.

Given all of that, which one would you choose?

Thanks!

2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I went thru this exact scenario 6 months ago, deciding between a 2007 vs 2008. Based on your description, seems like no contest to me.
    I ended up with the 08. If you can swing the price difference, go for the newer one

3. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    From what you've posted, the 08 is what I would buy.

However...
    New clutch for a car that traveled ~8100 miles?
    That would have me digging deeper into the way the car was driven/used.

Unless the 07 was equipped/optioned with CCBs, it wont have them, but they were standard on all cars 08 and newer. For some this is a deal breaker. Steel brakes work just fine, although look quite small in comparison.

I believe the Header Warranty was 8yr/80k miles. Being early in the year now the 08 might still qualify for replacement if needed.

Have links to the cars?

Best of luck.

4. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    New clutch at 8100? How about new transmission at 1961 of for the 2007 car? Was it defective or was it abused?

5. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    I'd vote for the 2008. If the headers haven't been replaced get them done as that can be a very expensive engine rebuild if they fail.

6. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    IMHO, of course 08 is newer but 8100 miles and the clutch replaced raised a red flag that either it was used on the track or driven hard.... Mine is at almost 20K miles with the original clutch has still 50%. '07 had a new tranni at 1961 miles also not a good sign without knowing anything about the car.

Upgraded sound system is not very important as I do not believe lots of us use it. I have a spider and don't use it.. I would rather listen to the engine... When I first test drove 348 when it came out, the guy at the dealer said it and I still believe it... haha.

For me, I would get the '07 and have the dealer to throw in the new headers.

What color are they anyway?

It's your choice. Cars are reasonably priced... Please test drive both of them to feel how they drive... Go with your guts if you have to chose one of 2.

7. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    I hear ya, but that stuck out less than the clutch replacement on the 08. The trans was probably defective (assuming this). Or the owner had a thing for reversing up inclines :)

8. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    Keep looking, the early clutch or transmission replacements are a possible red flag of abusive ownership.

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Track driving wears an F1 clutch less, not more. It's lots of soft starts (like stop and go traffic) and reversing that kills it. Doubly so if it's reversed uphill often.

10. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Clutches in hilly cities can wear prematurely. "Beverly Hills 90210" and "The Streets of San Francisco" = "We're not in Kansas anymore!" My 360 has been a flatlander most of its life and at 20K mi I have 50% remaining. So 40K is a possible goal for me.

11. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thank you for my misunderstandings.... Gotcha...

12. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Are you dealing with a Ferrari dealer or an independent. If at an authorized Ferrari dealer both cars should be eligible to be certified and sold with a 1 year warranty. It would increase your cost but could give you some piece of mind considering the unique history of both cars.

13. CAW

CAW Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Huntsville Alabama
    Full Name:
    Craig Wiggins
    Thanks guys. I am really leaning towards the 08. My understanding is that the clutch is worn more quickly due to stops and starts, hills, etc. than it is to being "abused". I think a couple of you have even said that. Would the rest of you agree?

The cars are at dealerships, but not Ferrari dealerships so a Ferrari certification is not possible. The 08 does come with a 1000 mile 30 day powertrain warranty for whatever that is worth.

14. amerifrikaner

amerifrikaner Karting

Nov 19, 2014
    USA
    Based on your description, I lean towards the 08, however if I were to dig deeper into the history of both it might sway me the other way if I found something I did not like on the 08.

15. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Try to get the dealership to allow you to have a PPI performed on the car you really like. You want someone who makes their living servicing Ferrari's to look at that car, or both.

Also have about $5K to $10K in your back pocket just in case you get a surprise after you buy the car.

The 07 does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling if it needed a new transmission at less that 2K miles. Question is why did it need a new transmission, and what else did it need? Lack of records for so few miles kind of scares me. Are these salvage cars?

If you can not come up with the history on these cars I would pass. There are always going to be other 430s. Use your head and not your heart when spending this much money on a car. In the long run you will be happy you did.

Good luck.

16. CAW

CAW Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Huntsville Alabama
    Full Name:
    Craig Wiggins
    Thanks. PPI is being done tomorrow on the 08. It has complete service records. The only thing that stands out to me so far is the clutch being replaced at 8K miles. Not quite sure what to think of that...