Headers Replacement | FerrariChat

Headers Replacement

Discussion in '360/430' started by Aloha Ferrari F430 Fl, Feb 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aloha Ferrari F430 Fl

Nov 8, 2015
    BC, Canada
    I recently purchased a 2007 F430, the car has about 15,000 miles, looks and runs perfect. Can anyone advise whether that year model has the MK2 headers?

Or all years came with MK1 and the factory replaced with MK2 when needed?

In your opinion, what is the life expectancy of the MK1? Will they all fail?

Do you recommend that I replace the headers now, considering that I do not have any issues yet?

I love the car and enjoy driving it, just want to make sure that it is well looked after for the future.

Thanks,

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Smoke test them now to see what you have. It's the only way to be sure. Then repeat annually.

Headers were covered by the emissions warranty (8 years). They could have been replaced by a dealer during that time. Do you have service records?

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  4. Ferrari Nube

Ferrari Nube Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    British Columbia
    Interesting Handle for a BC guy.... :) You must be dreaming of the Hawaiian paradise all the time but live in a climate that is on average, 15 degrees Celsius lower than the tropics!

If you bought the car from FMOV or through them, they should be able to tell you which headers you have or if you have the complete service records, you should be able to check out the campaigns as well. Otherwise, you'll have to take off the rear diffuser and look at the headers for minor differences in design. There are a number of threads on this forum that discuss this issue in detail.

I too had Mk1 headers on my 06 spider up until two years ago. No issues with them at all, although the car has not been tracked or driven very hard and still has less than 8,000 kms on it. I still have them and they have no signs of failure...

Due to the fear of a header breakdown, I had the Capristo headers and twin sound exhaust installed. While the result is a great looking exhaust canister and no more potential header failures, it can be loud! I'm a fairly low key type of person so the extra attention that the car gets when the valves are open can be too much.....this coming from a person driving a Ferrari....LOL.

With 15,000 miles, I think I would change the headers if they are not Mk2. Even if they are Mk2, I would still add the Capristo mounting bracket to alleviate any excess pressure on the headers. That's probably the best adjustment to do, at this point.

Cheers
    FN

5. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    my car had MK2 headers on it (changed in 2008) but when I took delivery in November, dealer noticed it was cracked and replaced them. So just because you have MK2 doesnt mean you are safe!

6. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    How can you tell the difference between MK1 and MK2 headers

7. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Check with your local dealer. They should have records of all service performed at any F dealer in their system.

8. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I recall this question asked and possibly answered but I don't recall how they determined it. Do a search.

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    My opinion....You should simply have the headers smoke checked each time the car is serviced as Tim suggested...I wouldn't bother preventively replacing them. Also, since there are more than one way the headers can fail, you should purchase and install the Capristo header brackets as a preventive measure.

10. Aloha Ferrari F430 Fl

Nov 8, 2015
    BC, Canada
    Than you all for the feedback, I appreciate it. I checked with my local Ferrari Dealer and he did confirm that while the headers are in good shape, they will fail at some point in time. Leak test showed that they are in good shape. I will be replacing them with Fabspeed when time comes (Per Dealer's Advice). In the meantime I was advised to always watch for any ticking noise on cold start-up.

11. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Just shout when you're ready my friend - happy to take care of you, and the car. :)

12. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Also, if you're unsure on cold start reach your hand down in the engine bay near where the headers join and see if you can feel a blow. With mine I wasn't sure if I was hearing something or not - car was new to me and already had an aftermarket back box - but I could definitely feel the blow.

(For what it's worth, I now have Fabspeed headers and cats, and am very happy with the choice. My neighbors... Well, I don't often start it up early in the morning, and usually leave the garage door closed till the idle drops.)

13. Aloha Ferrari F430 Fl

Nov 8, 2015
    BC, Canada
    How long should it take to remove the existing headers and replace them with the Fabspeed ones. Assuming the dealership is doing it?

14. treue

treue Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Tom Treue
    Al,

This has been asked and answered many times. I suggest you search other threads for more information. No point in re-inventing the wheel.

Exhaust systems get hot and, so, expand. The problem with the 430 exhaust system is that it is mounted in a restrictive way which focuses the force created by the expansion into the weakest point of the system which is the header runners. When the system heats then cools dozens of times in its lifetime, this creates a fatigue loading which turns a relatively benign activity into suicide. The only difference between the MKI and MKII headers is that there is more weld on the flange-to-runner joints and all that does is move the point of failure further out on the runner and gives Ferrari, SpA, the illusion that they are doing something about the problem.

The best way to protect yourself from the problem is by installing the Capristo mount and removing the OEM mounting parts. The Fabspeed (or any aftermarket) headers will help, but without removing the restrictive mounting, you will be going down the same road as before with likely the same results.

Tom
    2007 F430F1 Coupé (Izzy)

15. STUEWE

STUEWE Karting

May 10, 2009
    N. ORANGE COUNTY, Ca
    Full Name:
    CHUCK STUEWE
    I have to agree, I just installed the Capristo mounts (about 2-3 hours). When you see the Micky Mouse way the OEM mounts work, you will understand. They only allow expansion of the muffler unit, not the header/cat section. These are fixed to the transmission. Actually, if Ferrari has given that mount some flex maybe this problem would never have occurred in the first place.
    P.S. The OEM lower mounts were cracked and re-welded at least 3 times by prior owners.

2005 F430 Coupe F1