How do you Override the passenger seat wire for air bag | FerrariChat

How do you Override the passenger seat wire for air bag

Discussion in '360/430' started by Night life, Mar 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    I finally found a gorgeous set of OEM Ferrari carbon fibre seats for my 430.

In the process of installing them ran into a small problem.

While removing the Daytona seat the passenger seat has 2 sets of wires, 1 for seat power 2 is for seat sensor to detect if someone is sitting in the seat to activate air bag (I assume).

Problem is I need to disconnect this wire to install new seats but once I do my airbag light comes on.

What is solution to override this? Is it as simple as crossing 2 of the 3 wires ? If so which ones?

Any help appreciated thank you.

2. Supima

Supima Karting

Mar 14, 2016
    NY
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    From past experience you would just need to ground the wire. I would start there and see if this works for you.

Vincent

3. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Have you tried turning off the passenger side airbag by using the switch in the door jam?

4. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    great find ,it took me a long time to find a 430 spider with factory racing seats,on mine there is no air bag switch to turn it off like the 430 with daytona had.your going to love the seats it just makes the exprience so much better

5. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Please use a voltmeter first to confirm that the wire you want to ground does not have +12v coming from it. Sparky no good.

6. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Do you have:

Brown/Red
    Yellow
    Black

?

7. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Thats what I was thinking but I want to be sure.

Yes I tried but did not solve the problem

I think so as well, I will finally be sitting in a proper position, I was 2" to tall with the Daytonas.

Thats what I'm afraid of, yes I have a volt meter.

I have Brown/yellow/black wire

8. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    OK, black is ground, brown is +ve, and yellow is a sense wire to the airbag ECU.

The problem with the three wire sensor is that it is not a simple make or break circuit, and to the best of my knowledge grounding the sense wire won't work.

Maybe someone else has experience here but I wouldn't be surprised if the functionality must be coded out.

9. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Just reading a bit more about the sensors and a lot of them are a negative coefficient with weight i.e. effectively earthed with an adult sat on the seat.

You could try bridging the black and yellow wire, but if it works you wouldn't be sure if the airbag ECU thinks the seat is occupied or not i.e. couldn't be sure if the airbag will go off in an accident.

10. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Those were exactly my thoughts, I will give it a try no way to test it though.

I was trying to remove the entire sensor from the Daytona seat, it looks simple enough but it is embedded pretty good in the seat. I will attempt it one more time keep you posted on my solution

Thank you for your help :)

11. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Well I tried to remove the sensor with no luck as it is buried in the foam of the Daytonas, not worth the hassle.

Tried to override the system by crossing the wires, It went out for a second then came back on but now for good, I can't get it off even with original seat in, so that tells me I trigger something.

I have a friend with a Ferrari f-430 scanner, we will try to turn off the air bag light manually see if that works.

12. Living4life

Living4life Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2008
    You need a tool to reset the airbag with the factory seat plugged in.

I would suggest to post pictures. I didn't do anything if I recall except make sure the oem seat receptacles were plugged in on the carbon seats I used to replace the Daytona seats.

On my lambo I had to trick the seat with bypass plugs because the Lambo seats had an airbag in them. The Ferrari f430 seats didn't have any airbag in them to trick. Just plug in the seat belt receptacle I believe.

13. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    No it's a bit more complicated than that, it has a separate wire altogether for these seat sensors, I did find this though heard it works

Bypass FOR BMW 5 Series E60 Passenger Seat Occupancy MAT Sensor Airbag Emulator | eBay

I ordered it, hopefully it is plug and play, I will post results :)

14. 07greyF430

07greyF430 Rookie

Dec 14, 2011
    Did this bypass sensor end up working? I am in the exact same situation and needed to turn the airbag light off that was caused due to the missing occupancy sensor.
    Thanks!

15. Speedracer800

Speedracer800 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    For whatever it's worth and I'm not sure if this would apply to the F430 the same as it does to the 360.

When I installed those same seats in my 360, I simply left all the wiring unplugged that was plugged in to my original power seats. This accomplished a couple of things including no more warning chime for the seat belt and no airbag light or warning at all.

Again.. The F430 could be completely different but just wanted to share my experience as it could be a place for you to start.

Good luck! Congrats on the seats!

16. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Actually no, but I did not try one more suggestion. When I triggered the airbag light it stays on permanently now, so when I installed the bypass I might just need to reset the airbag light.

To be honest after I installed the seats and started driving I got lazy and totally forgot about it :D.

A friend of mine has the 430 diagnostic reader and we will reset air bag light this winter.

17. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Did the seat occupancy sensor emulator end up working when you reset the airbag light?

18. StartedFromTheBottom

StartedFromTheBottom Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 9, 2016
    Europe
    Anybody experience with the same process in the 458?

19. Alex Scud

Alex Scud Rookie

Apr 29, 2014
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Alex Ferreira
    The sensor emulator from Ebay Worked ?

20. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007