Ferrari leather | FerrariChat

Ferrari leather

Discussion in '360/430' started by RedTaxi, Apr 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Why is Ferrari leather so fragile? The drivers seat bolster in my 430 has more wear at 15k miles than my daily BMW that has at 150k miles. In fact the BMW bolster has virtually zero wear. My 360 was no different. Go figure.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not made for durability. Made for the look and feel. My Bruno Magli's don't wear anything like my hiking boots.

3. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    Give the leather a leatherique treatment every year and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    There's your answer. Knowing this you just have to be very careful or just expect to repair the bolster. Leatherique treatments will keep it soft.

5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    IMHO the only way to avoid bolster wear ( aside from seat covers) is the entry procedure of placing your right foot in and left hand on the bolster as you slide in, keeping your hand between you the bolster. Easier to do than describe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yep. You should see the circus act I do getting into my pristine 355 :)

7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Same here. Gf knows the drill as well. Sit but do not slide :)

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Sorry Jim but the GF can slip n slide all she wants - I'll get new leather:)

Lol J/K buddy :cool:

9. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Do not enter with the right foot in footwell and then slide in. Enter butt first and forward of the bolster. Drop butt in first and then swing legs in without ever heavily rubbing the bolster. If you are a really big guy then run the seat back first and fall in ahead of the lateral bolster butt first followed by leg swing. Easy!

10. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    I thought Italian leather is the best in the world; I might change my mind now to Germany leather ...lol

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Not in my experience. Like the OP, I own a BMW and succession of Ferraris since 1999...all have been fragile and required both redying and use of the hand to cover the bolster when getting in and our. Leatherique applications (often times two or three times per year) make no difference, other than keeping the leather supple and prevent drying out. My BMW now has 250k, and looks outstanding by comparison to my previous 355 bolster that required a dying at around 40k miles, as it looked terrible.

12. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    The Napa leather on my M3 definitely didn't last very long. BMW has different leather types and the one in regular 3 series is definitely built for more utilitarian purposes but is is also not as nice to the touch.

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    "Montana Leather" is what was used in my old E39 5 series...still driving it daily. ;)

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You put the top down and leave the door closed. Then get a running start, hurdle the door and drop into the seat. The door will keep you from contacting the bolster. ;)

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Depends on how you define best. It looks good and feels good but it isn't durable. All depends on your priorities.

16. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    For me the best thing about the Ferrari leather is the smell. I have not smelled a more fragrant leather in any other car.

Although I do notice at car events that some Ferraris have a strong leather smell, whereas others do not. Any rhyme or reason? Perhaps maintenance such as leatherique?

17. beatbrother

beatbrother Karting

Aug 24, 2009
    Zonhoven - Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    All good explanations of how to get into the car.
    Now we want to see nice videos to support those acts. :p

18. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    The leather is fine it's just the coating that rubs off. I'm well learned of the entry process. I get in and out without touching the bolster and hey I'll get it re-dyed/touched up if it bugs me too much. Might even get some tan boot polish!
    Hell yeah it does smell good though. I even make sure the windows are up at all times when in the garage. To keep the smell in.

19. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
  20. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    That's BS!

21. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Some months ago there was great debate as to whether F leather (maybe all cars) was covered in a very thin plastic, thus making leather treatments a waste of time. Was there ever a conclusion?

22. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Shouldn't be much of a debate for anyone who has actually applied leather conditioner to their Ferrari. It soaks it up like a sponge which would means no "plastic" coating.

23. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    There actually are many permeable and by default, porous plastic films. So, absorbing a leather treatment is no guarantee of no plastic. However if the seats are indeed protected by a P&P plastic, we'd have the best of both worlds... Protection and the ablity to feed the leather and keep it soft. I leather treat each month and the leather is pristine.

24. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Please share with us some examples of porous plastcs that are used to treat factory automotive interiors. I am only familiar really familiar wth Ferrari, Porsche, and GMC leather. Ferrari has little durability and will shrink, get hard, and crack if left untreated. So if they are using any of this magical porous plastic you speak of it has zero perceivable benefits. Porsche and GMC are coated, not as soft, don't absorb but wear anazingly well.

25. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I recall a few years back when speaking with Leatherique that the more modern leather had some type of coating or process (I'm at a loss for the term) and that conditioning is less effective than it was on the older leathers. That seems to align with the differences of my 98 355 and my 2008 Maserati GT.