F430 bullet proof? | FerrariChat

F430 bullet proof?

Discussion in '360/430' started by georgiadawgs, May 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. georgiadawgs

georgiadawgs Rookie

Apr 27, 2016
    Soth Florida
    I've read a lot of comments in this site about the F430 being "bullet proof" Is this regarding the motor?

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

How big of a bullet do you have?

AtomicPunk88 likes this.
  3. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think any caliber from .22 up would likely penetrate the car, so no.

AtomicPunk88 likes this.
  4. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The biggest problem is the clutch and tires. I'm on my second 430. Never a problem and over 70k miles between the 2 cars

Janjie likes this.
  5. mdwfa2001

mdwfa2001 Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    K
    yes there are some with lower bills but those are prob the ones not taking care of their cars. Its not cheap running these cars. If you just don't put the money in to fix it when you see a small problem..you can say its cheap. Eventually will leave you stranded.

Janjie and VAF84 like this.
  6. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I can't see any F car being branded as bullet proof. Some have less maintenance requirements than others, that's about it. Don't take care of it and it will bite you back.

7. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    LOL!!!!

The F430 requires less maintenance than say... the 360. If you buy an F430 you have to look into changing the headers, some have ball joint problems, wishbone bushes will need replacing at some point....anyway, just change all fluids yearly (F1 every 3yrs) and you should be ok.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No such thing.

If you want bullet proof think Toyota.

I had a client who bought a 430 based on his friends telling him it was bullet proof. It got an oil leak 4 months later and he went ballistic.

If bulletproof is a desired attribute Ferrari is the wrong brand by a very big margin.

Janjie likes this.
  9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #9 2NA, May 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There is no such thing. The 430 may have fewer issues than some other cars but is not without failures.

The water pump is combined with the oil pump and they are sold as an assembly. They don't often fail but when they do it's a big ticket item.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. georgiadawgs

georgiadawgs Rookie

Apr 27, 2016
    Soth Florida
    I guess it is just like the Gallardo. Did the new F1 gearbox software installation made the monitoring of the hydraulic pump and system pressure more precisely?

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Maybe bulletproof compared to the Ferraris of the 90s

12. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    They are quite reliable based on 6.5 years of ownership and my observations from this forum.

Janjie likes this.
  13. mdwfa2001

mdwfa2001 Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    K
    #13 mdwfa2001, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016

14. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi

Can you break down the 17k bill? Curious to know what failed and at what mileage.

15. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#15 Cigarzman, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Fwiw , I purchased a 2007 430 spider ~2 years ago with 5k miles on the clock , in one year it had 9000 miles and a 14k repair bill after a 10 pct. discount. Water pump , throw out bearings , leaking main seal , exhaust bracket , annual service and some other whatnot. Bullitproof , I'm thinking no. Fun to drive 100 pct.

Janjie likes this.
  16. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Yeh, but Mr. C, you should have known that 430 was dodgy...Florida car, fish swimming in the headlights and seaweed and shells covering the dash 😈😈.

Janjie likes this.
  17. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Definitely not bullet proof. My F1 actuator started to leak while still under CPO warranty and was NOT covered. The dealer wanted $18k to install a whole new F1 kit because the actuator is not sold separately. Through a contact I found on this forum, I had it rebuilt for a fraction of that price. But then there was the install, leaking power steering pump, broken exhaust brackets that made the bill add up.
    Otherwise it has been very reliable.

Janjie likes this.
  18. mdwfa2001

mdwfa2001 Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    K
    #18 mdwfa2001, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
    clutch, clutch release bearing, flywheel, cam variators, accerlator sensor and some other small things...but since i got it, i've had to replace headers(was under warrenty) had a cracked exhaust tip(not exhaust bracket, which i had that too) so had to put another exhaust on it...i didn't even include that cost...i replaced it with capristo since i had to replace it anyway. and right now i may have to replace the alternator and i have some roof issues as well. so more to come...lol If you can deal with the costs, its a great car to have.

Ideloera: As i said, it was reliable until this service i just did. Now, its not reliable in my book...LOL

19. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    You made your car reliable again....lol. Maybe you can rebuild the alternator or buy a re-manufactured one and install it yourself:
    Ferrari F 430 Scuderia Alternator Generator 2005 2008 205403 | eBay

I haven't had any major problem with my F430, only things which had to be replaced were the fuel carbon vapor filter and an exhaust bracket, I did the work myself. The headers did fail once and were replaced under warranty and I then removed those OEM headers and installed aftermarket headers, that was preventive maintenance. Im only at like 12.9k miles, which is why I haven't had any major issues, but im sure that something will pop-up at some point.

20. georgiadawgs

georgiadawgs Rookie

Apr 27, 2016
    Soth Florida
    Man, It sounds as bad as the Gallardo Pre-LP!

21. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Do Lambos generally have as many weaknesses etc as F cars? Headers, sticky bits etc etc

22. georgiadawgs

georgiadawgs Rookie

Apr 27, 2016
    Soth Florida
    Well, pre-LPs weakness is mainly the transmission and it is expensive to replace. Starting in 2009 with LP-560-4 and LP 560-2 e-gear got way better and way more reliable. Never heard of headers having to be replaced. The motor of pre-LP sounds nicer with a custom exhaust than LP cars, but LP cars have more power and are way better as a daily driver type of car.
    However, 2007, 2008 Gallardos (pre-LP) are more reliable than a '04, '05, '06.

Its known that manual transmission last long-long time but you can only find that in the older models. There is only a handful of manuals for LP cars and they command a premium If you can find one.

23. mdwfa2001

mdwfa2001 Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    K

im at 14800miles..this service was at 14600

24. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi

Yikes!

There's another forum member who recently posted reaching 20k miles without any major issues. I hope I have his luck!

25. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I am at 26.3 on my 07 no major issues. 20K of those put on by me. Headers under warranty, 2x Brackets, Exhaust bypass valve, 1 window switch got floppy plus all annuals with all fluids changed at each. Just did a 30K service this past month. Have not had a CEL under my ownership. Fairly reliable but nothing that wears the horse emblem is bullet proof.