somebody turned the Modena into track-only car? | FerrariChat

somebody turned the Modena into track-only car?

Discussion in '360/430' started by 24000rpm, May 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#1 24000rpm, May 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    so I have this "storied" 360 , all stock, with a lot of frame/body damaged in its prior life.
    So I decided to turn it into a track-only car.

From a safety and economical perspective, what mods do I need to do?
    Is brake the only thing that I have to worry about? Is fire hazard a concern if I continue to use the existing OEM pads&rotors?
    Do I need to install an air tunnel to the wheels like the 360 challenge?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I've been working to make into what I think a "gt3" street car would be (and reversible)... But my initial list would be...

Roll protection (probably cage, but at least bar)
    Race seats/belts
    Rig up some hoses for brake cooling up front
    Bigger brakes up front (380)
    Race compound pads
    Stainless brake lines
    Sticky tires
    Stiffer springs (more of a change in the front)
    Trailer tie downs would be nice

Then there's all sorts of stuff you could do to increase hp, or improve responsiveness/cornering

It's not about fire for the brakes, it's about having them work when you need them...

3. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    - Reduce weight as much as possible!!! The biggest bang for your buck.
    - Pads that can take the heat.
    - Best brake fluid.
    - Roll cage and harness.
    - Check all bushings are good + alignment
    - R-compound or aggressive street tires (that will last you a while)
    - Fire system.

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

thanks for the inputs
    when we are talking bout safety only things
    are the brakes & roll cages only thing we need to mod?
    like you guys said: cooling ducts for preventing brake fluids boiling. I mean is this really a must?

5. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I like being able to stop. For me the stock system was insufficient with fresh high temp fluid. safety equipment is up to your risk tolerance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

correct me if I am wrong
    the bigger brakes are only for a better stop power. The cooling ducts are for preventing fluid boiling, hence brake fade. am I correct on this?

7. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    No, bigger brakes help with heat management. That isn't to say that bigger brakes won't have an impact on other things depending on the setup (bias, bite, wear rate, etc).

Yes brake ducts help with fluid temps. A lot. Just look for a streetable affordable solution for the 360... You won't find it.

Any 360 system is capable of biting hard and locking the brakes up past the limits of the tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    1. Challenge roll bar- requires a mount plate kit to be welded into the chassis, all non CH cars need it, available from Italy for....wait for it....$37 USD. I was so overwhelmed I bought 3.
    2. The handling will never be as precise as a CH car until you convert all those crappy rubber flamblocs to CH specs. You can use delran or polyurethane bushing in the stock metal housings- a real pia but not costly.
    3. Remove that crappy heat exchanger from the intake manifold and replace with a setrab cooler.
    4. Add a cooler for the F1 system.
    5. Gut everything - you are looking for 2400# weight but 2600 would still be good, that's all AC including air handler, compressor, hard lines, evap coil, etc. you will many parts are different (lighter) on ch cars- bumpers, side skirts, underbody trays.
    6. Ch cars use real Brembo full floating rotors 14" front, don't remember rear 13"maybe. The calipers are mounted on studs totally different then Modena. Stock 360 brakes do not belong on a race track- you will overheat them quickly (2 laps) and it's even worse if you don't reduce the cars weight by 300-500#.
    7. ECU & TCU upgrades to increase shift speed and defeat the primitive traction control as well as remove CK engine lights.
    8. Suspension & wheels- 360 ch cars run 8x18 & 10.5x18 - they fit nicely no mods. Suspension - Penske coilovers r my favorate- $6k
    9. Brake cooling ducts.
    10. CH doors - very light
    11. Bucket seats- safe & light.
    OR
    60-80k for the CH car? I know that doesn't help you but to get a similar result on track it is much cheaper to buy the CH.

The 360 CH is a wonderful track car, underpowered by today's specs but great fun and more then a match for the many GT3's you will meet. Not as capable as a 996 cup car in stock form, but with lightening it can pull the same lap times. Much better brakes & less weight make this car great on track. If you don't have that....not worth it in my opinion. If the chassis is out of shape that's an immediate no go for me, do u really want to routinely do 150+ in a bent frame or rely on it to protect you in a high energy crash?

Someone surely would be interested in your car as a street car at the right price, then kick in a few bucks and buy ur ready to go CH car. Just an idea.

9. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Fantastic!
    I actually do have a 360 challenge somehow converted to GT bar the sequential gearbox.
    My track activities are nothing more than having fun myself and watch improvements on my lap times. I always go to tracks that are well constructed and regulated. As such, I am not too worried about hitting something at 150mph. But I don't want to do shunts because of brake issues, thus I asked about the brake air ducts.

I actually love this car and have some special attachment so selling it isn't an option.
    This car has been sitting here collecting dusts and converting it to a track car is the only thing I can think of to make use of it.

Having said these, where can I buy a sequential gearbox used by those racers?

10. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
  11. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think the answer depends in part upon your skill level. I'm guessing you don't have a ton of track experience from your comments. If that's the case, I would say a decent Stage 1 (bare minimum) modification list would be:

- high performance brakes, pads, and fluid
    - sticky tires
    - more aggressive suspension

As others mentioned above, there are a lot of other mods you can do for both performance and safety. They are all good ideas but expensive if you did them all at once. You could phase them in over time as you become more skilled and start going faster. If you are new to tracking, get lots of instruction and don't be in too much of a hurry to be fast. It will come with time.