$1900 for Door Latch Repair?? | FerrariChat

$1900 for Door Latch Repair??

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ron308, May 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ron308

Ron308 Karting

May 6, 2011
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron Campbell
    My driver door latching mechanism was sticking, then broke. The door would not close or lock. The passenger door was starting to have the same problem. I took it to my trusty Ferrari mechanic and said fix the driver door, and might as well fix the passenger door. Cost estimate came back at $1900 for both. This involved a broken cable and a latch part. Does
    this sound like a reasonable charge? Any experience out there with this problem?

2. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Ouch... No clue on this one. Involves taking apart the door but if independent sounds high

3. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    I am not sure why they would replace the latch part but the cable does seize and fail. The cable part is $45 and about 30mins to replace for each door, and some lube on the latch and good to go...I thought my hourly rates were high; must be in the wrong business :)

4. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #4 mello, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
    There are some old postings suggesting that latches from a Fiat is a direct replacement for about 1/3 the price. You might want to use the search function to investigate further. As to the cost of labor, that's not going to change unless you DIY.

5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I had an indy do my drivers door and it was $1000...

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Ricambi has the part for $350.xxx

Alot of the repair is labor, taking the door open and replacing things in a tight space. Assuming $400 for the part with markup, that's $1100 for labor? at 100 an hour=11 hours?
    If that's all that's needed then IMHO that's a tad steep... but not out of the park unreasonable for BOTH locks.

Is there anymore to this story? Did they determine that a lock cable wasn't sticking?

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Door latches break all the time. The 360 latch is NLA and the part it supersedes to requires some mods to make it work.

I don't know how people on the internet with no idea what is wrong and what will be required to fix it, never mind that few if any have actually done it can tell you if it is a fair price.

What would the response be if I asked if $2000 was a good price to fix my house?

8. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Amen.

+1

9. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    +2

10. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    But thank God we have you.

11. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    I bought a used part from a 10,000 miles car with 90 days warranty for $200ish. No need to modify because it's the same part number which is better compared to the new part replacements that needs modification.

I'm starting to do it myself. So far the door panel / card is already out. Peaking through it seems pretty easy.

So for me $200 plus a couple of beers on a weekend is better than spending $1,900, hmmm even $1000. Get to know her more. :)

12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Perhaps, but you may very well be in the same boat in a few months or year or two. Seems to be a pretty common problem.

13. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
  14. fahlmanb

fahlmanb Karting

May 14, 2014
    Mount Pleasant, MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Fahlman
    This is on par with what I paid last year, as both doors were sporadically sticking. My passenger's door needed to have the complete door cable and latch assembly replaced ($450 parts). The driver's door was in better shape, so they only had to replace the cable and lubricate all of the internal linkages. The total labor for both doors was $775 (5 hrs). I think if both doors had to have the complete assemblies replaced, it would be close to the $1900 you were quoted...

15. Ron308

Ron308 Karting

May 6, 2011
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron Campbell
    Thanks for the helpful advice from most of you. I thought this chat was about helping fellow Ferrari folks, instead of "snarky comments" from the "Ferrari Elite" like Rifledriver. If you don't like or agree with a question, don't comment. Just go away! Jerks everywhere!

16. Ron308

Ron308 Karting

May 6, 2011
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron Campbell
    Oh, wait. I'm sorry, I've just been told that Rifledriver is the king of FerrariChat, and no one is allowed to criticize him/her. Excuse my ignorance. I'll be good!

17. Remember the alamo

Dec 9, 2014
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Your snarky comment doesn't answer the question which you of all people should be able to answer. Is it a fair quote or not?

18. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    Seems steep, but if your a bright technican and are careful with the car and do thing methodically and take you time to do same, then figure parts my be $200 and 6 hours should be enough to do both. After the first one all the tools are present it should go more quickly. I have no ideas what the shop rate at a dealer is, what $150 an hour, $250 and hour??? Chevrolet dealer shop rat has got to over $100, yes?

$150 x 6 = $900 in labor
    $200 for parts

$1,100 ?

$250 x 6 = $1,500 in labor
    $200 for parts

$1,700 ?

What about tax?

Did they flatbed it to the shop for you?

19. Highlander

Highlander Rookie

Nov 22, 2006
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    <redacted>
    I had a similar issue with the door on my Porsche Turbo. Dealer charged me $800 for the repair.
    $800 * 2, $1600 + the Ferrari Tax and $1700 looks to be about right.

I live in the San Francisco area where shop rates are jaw droppingly high, even for the indies, so in that light $1700 may be a wee bit steep for OR.

20. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Par for the course. I've been on the receiving end of his "advice" also. Same thing. Snarky is a good adjective. I don't know why he bothers with us stupid people on this forum. He seems annoyed with us for asking questions.

I know a mechanic that called him once asking for help on a job. He got the same treatment.

21. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #21 Kevin Rev'n, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
    You guys are being too sensitive about RD's comments. If you have ever worked around salty dogs that earned their stripes the hard way you have to learn how to control your feelings. Yes, your feelings. Old dogs learning new tricks like how to dance around sensitive new age people is a big ask. We are lucky to have him participating and although I have not tried. I like to think that if I had a direct question I could reach out in a PM or otherwise to help clear things up.

Mechanical expertise, in certain arenas, is the result of achievement, hard work and horse sense. In the case of Ferrari there is also the element of dealing with the "personalities". We are the civilized ones but what of the real life encounters which are surely comical at times?

Hang in there guys, it's called ball busting and you are better for having experienced it, RD is one of the good guys and rare in these parts.

22. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Disagree 100%. I've been on this site since 2007. I'm 53 years old and know quite a bit about life, struggles, being poor, sacrifice, etc. Doctors have to have bedside manners. I can't treat my patients like that and chalk it up to reasons like you gave. So I'm not buying your defense.

Did you miss the part about the mechanic calling him and getting the same treatment? So he's like this to everyone. Great . Rock on RD.

I'm placing him on IGNORE

23. ///Art

///Art Karting
    BANNED

Oct 15, 2014
    I removed all of my cables, cleaned out the plastic sleeves, lubricated the inside, and threaded solid chicken wire in. Total cost $8.00. No issues what so ever.

24. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 - If RD ever respond to your posting, expect to bend over.

25. Ron308

Ron308 Karting

May 6, 2011
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron Campbell
    Sorry....then is no excuse for internet bullies. We have so many people who think they can say anything in these blogs. It's such a sorry state of our country. RD is a bully, and I would ask him/her/it to not respond to any future posts I make.