360 CAN interface line | FerrariChat

360 CAN interface line

Discussion in '360/430' started by greger, May 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greger

greger Rookie

May 14, 2011
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Greg Garnier
    Hi all I have a 2002 360 spider.I have no power to the dash cluster.When I hooked up my code reader the code P1675 came up.It says for that code CAN-interface:timeout dashboard.To repair this it says 1.check CAN line 2.check CAN line impedence 60 ohm.3.check dashboard error.My question is how do I find the CAN line to check it out and how do I check for dashboard errors.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

2. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    What do you mean by no power to the dash cluster? Do you have the initialization phase with all the lights illuminated?
    The CAN error code is probably the consequence of your power problem, not the root cause. In your case, the code is probably set by the engine ECUs because they see no dialogue with the dash ... which is normal if it has no power.
    Even with no CAN, the dash should show some activity.

I would focus on the power to the dash rather than on the CAN lines.

3. greger

greger Rookie

May 14, 2011
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Greg Garnier
    Hi When I said I have no power to the cluster that includes the start up procedure.The only thing that comes on during start up is the airbag light?I checked all the fuses and there all good.I sent the cluster to Drew at FAI and he said it's fine.

4. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    If the cluster tested good, then check the 12v lines in the wiring harness to the cluster. They are labeled in the workshop manual. Check for grounds as well, if you have the airbag light but no others some power is getting there.

360 wiring harness are not good quality. The connectors are a step below American cars. They are not sealed and do not age well. It can be very time consuming and you may just find a broken wire, or can test the issue buy running your own 12v+ and grounds to the designated terminals.

Sorry - not an easy fix.

5. greger

greger Rookie

May 14, 2011
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Greg Garnier
    Thanks for the info.Ill do those checks you recommend and let you know what I find.

6. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    #6 eric355, May 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. AnythingButTime

Feb 28, 2014
    Chicago,Il
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I have received this same error(both code and symptoms.) when I have started the car with less than a fully charged battery. I have no idea why, but turning the headlights on brought the dash to life. Not suggesting the headlights are the issue, but I think it is a power supply issue when the dash sees less than the minimum voltage.

8. greger

greger Rookie

May 14, 2011
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Greg Garnier
    Hi thanks so much for the info.When |I sent the cluster to FAI .I heard to not activate the power while the cluster was removed or the airbags would deploy.I'm wondering if I can unplug plug B to check for voltage without the airbags deploying.The battery I'm using is new and fully charged?

9. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    In my opinion, I would keep the plug in place and just back-probe it with a push pin or something similar.

10. cabrio924

cabrio924 Rookie

Jul 19, 2015
    How ever did you resolve the 360 with cluster power issues! I just got the same issue today. No gas level, mph, rpm, battery, sport mode, high beam, check engine. Only the air bags display works. I desperately need some help!!!!OMG

11. cabrio924

cabrio924 Rookie

Jul 19, 2015
    =greger;144688506]Hi thanks so much for the info.When |I sent the cluster to FAI .I heard to not activate the power while the cluster was removed or the airbags would deploy.I'm wondering if I can unplug plug B to check for voltage without the airbags deploying.The battery I'm using is new and fully charged?[/QUOTE]

How did you resolve the dashboard problemsfor the Ferrari 360? I have the same issues right now!

12. cabrio924

cabrio924 Rookie

Jul 19, 2015
    If this is such a common problem someone has got to know which capacitor, mosfet, or diode is bad. Which part of the circuit goes bad. Who is helpful enough to say. Everyone has had the problem problem and paid to get it fixed but no one knows what was fixed. Can someone show the old blown-out parts? Thanks in advance.

13. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    The OP hasn't been here since Dec 2016. You might want to check with a local wrench/dealer or use the regional forums to find one.

Sorry can't be more help.

14. PrecisionMike

PrecisionMike Rookie

Jan 21, 2016
    Northern Hemisphere
    Hi. An after the event comment I know but hoping it's never too late....I had this issue also and found it to be a poor connection at the dash earth point to the chassis. An m8 bolt from memory located behind and to the side of the battery insulator switch. The chassis, being aluminium oxidises causing a high electrical resistance despite the bolt being tight. I removed it , abraided the surface, coated thinly with vaseline and re tightened. I also added another earth lead directly between the isolator terminal and the chassis point. I also found a measurable voltage drop across the isolator switch itself so stripped it down and cleaned it up. Much to my relief ...cured! By way of explanation...when the lights are on a significantly larger current is drawn. This has to flow to earth through, I believe that same point. Such flow can repair the bolted interface via a process called fritting. The use of alachrom at the bolted interface would prevent oxidation. If I was doing this again I'd investigate that further. Hope this helps.

15. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Where in the world did you hear this? It will absolutely cause an airbag error and light, but not deploy...that would be a catastrophic design failure.

24000rpm likes this.
  16. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I don't take chances when working around instrument cluster or air bag. I wear a ground strap on my wrist and ground it to the car frame. You don't want static electricity discharging to an electrical connection that is associated with the air bag system.