"Scotty, we need more power!" | FerrariChat

"Scotty, we need more power!"

Discussion in '360/430' started by F1Spider, May 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1Spider

F1Spider Karting

Jan 8, 2013
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Ladies and Gentlemen, I need more juice to run an aftermarket stereo in my 360. Has anyone installed a more powerful alternator and battery to accommodate the increased power load? I don't know if a stronger alternator could be installed in the 360. Yes, I know the purists say, "All you need is the sweet sound of the engine/exhaust." I get it and at times I want to feel my massage seats when I drive (my 13" JL Audio's pounding da beats). Any relevant responses would be much appreciated thanks.

2. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    Yes, you can fit a larger alternator. The stock markets unit is very expensive and nothing special. But 1st thing is to determine how many amps you need. I believe that the car came with a 135a, don't remember off the top of my head.

3. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    What about adding capacitors?

4. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    #4 rugby, May 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What size is your amp? My car came with an 800 watt amp feeding a ~14" subwoofer. The stock alternator and a Yellow Top battery power it just fine. At the 800 watt peaks, that would be around a 60 amp draw, which is not a problem for the 100 amp stock alternator. Can't imagine getting any more power into that small cabin without going deaf.

The other issue would be that the car's electrical system is most likely designed for the stock alternator output. Increasing that substantially might require an upgrade to the fuses, relays, switches, connectors and, most importantly, the main power cabling.

Another consideration would be the load on the engine pulley shaft and the strain and wear life of the alternator belt.

And lastly, the battery compartment is fairly small and will not easily accommodate a larger capacity battery. It would probably take an auxiliary battery mounted in the trunk.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Yah, a flux capacitor. 1.21 GigaWatts, Doc!!

6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    All this adds weight!!

Isn't the 'music' that's over your shoulder enough?

7. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    Check the stock wiring harness To starter and alternator. It often corrodes and can cause big problems, make sure battery connections are nice too, before you upgrade the alternator.