Worst Nightmare Happened (Need Advise) | FerrariChat

Worst Nightmare Happened (Need Advise)

Discussion in '360/430' started by yangstein, May 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #1 yangstein, May 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi,

I went to starbucks to get coffee with my wife as usual on Saturday Morning then we went to get gas at the gas station. While waiting for my turn, A car backed up without looking and hit my rear bumper.

He came out said he was sorry not paying attention but my baby is damaged.

I called immediately my insurance company and his insurance company to claim and got the clain numbers.

You could see the damage on my vehicle. Not that big for a regular car but HUGE for a Ferrari.

What do I do next to get this fixed ASAP?

I need expert's advise. My memorial day weekend is already ruined.

I definitely want the whole bumper replaced even though insurance company might try to fix it. The damaged parts are in 2 places and not that bad for regular cars. However, it is Ferrari and we do not cut corners.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    ask for dave

nothing $5-7k won't fix.

3. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    If this is your worst nightmare- You've had a pretty good life!

Sorry about your luck, as I know it stinks, but as long as you and your family are alive and safe, money can fix the rest.

4. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    I will be you that they guy **** himself when he backed into a Ferrari. ...
    Ask the insurance company for the depreciation for having a ding on the carfax.

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Worst nightmare ever? Someone put a dent into your bumper.

Read some of the threads here where guys have died in crashes, lost their spouses or significant others to drunk drivers, or are fighting for their lives against cancer, now those are nightmares.

What you have is a little crack in your bumper. No one got hurt, no one died, and the car still drives straight as an arrow.

Sorry for my tone, but I'm not having a great day. Got on the phone last night with a long time member here who is fighting cancer and has failed kidneys and is bed ridden in the hospital. I may not have 100% the best perspective on your version of a "nightmare" right now.

D

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

It's called "diminished value" and good luck with that. Hire an attorney now if that's the way you're thinking of going.

Easier solution? Take pictures of the damage, lots of them, good ones. Then print them, with the date stamp showing so that you can tie them in with the repairs. It's a crack in the bumper, not a bent frame. Diminished value claim on that is gonna be tough. Proving to a prospective buyer that the damage was minimal, is pretty easy.

Damn, I am in a ****ty mood. I'm gonna sign off now before a moderator hits me with a big old banning stick.

D

7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Needless to say, it's his "worst nightmare" related to his car, hence the reason posting on a Ferrari forum :)

This totally sucks! Sorry about you incident. It's something most of us worry about. I' quite sure the insurance company will cover a new bumper - you should not have worries about that. Find a great painter that can nail the metallic and color match and you will be golden :)

Best of luck!

8. Lonnie

Lonnie Formula Junior

May 22, 2013
    NY/Delray Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Mandel
    Ask any Ferrari dealer and they will tell you that almost every car has resprayed front and rear bumpers. No sweat not a big deal. Sometimes you have to take a deep breadth before you put in a claim especially with the deductibles we carry. It might've been better to just fix on your own no claim no carfax ...

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Kinda to the above.. compared to a REAL problem like a spouse or child having a serious medical problem, this is nothing at all.

It sucks.. but you're going to be fine. Looks like it still drives and runs like a Ferrari should!

If you're going to sell it.. you might try pushing for diminished value, esp. if it's an F1 and if it resell is a possibility. If you don't want the Carfax you could also pick up a used bumper and respray it.. or fill it and respray it. No frame damage = what the bumper is meant for! FYI mine has a crack in the front bumper and some pretty serious scrapes and a crack or two in the rear bumper. Never bothered me a bit.

Sorry that this marred your weekend... but in perspective, it's still the same great car!

Edit: Looks like its fiberglass.. if it were me, I'd repair it and respray it out of pocket before sale. As above, a resprayed bumper is really no big deal. esp due to chips and road smudges. Who knows if you'll get another bump right AFTER you get it repaired! ;)

10. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    +1000000

11. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    thank you! You are so wright!!! ..... worst nightmare.........

12. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

^^^^^^^
    This ! If it can be fixed with money it ain't broke.

13. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Truth

14. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    You think the ding is bad? Lol wait till you see how the hit on the car fax affects your resale!!! Then you will be having a bad day!!!

15. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    When I read 'worst nightmare', I thought somebody got killed or injured.

It's a crack in the bumper. Annoying, for sure, but not the end of the world. Fix it and be done. If the Carfax is going to give you fits, spend the few hundred to fix it with cash. If this is your worst nightmare, try plopping your charmed life into Iraq for a couple of weeks. You'll come home and be excited to see that crack.

16. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I am sorry if I misinterpretated it in a way.. Yes. No one got hurt... It is just a bumper. If I misled any of you. I am truly sorry and did not mean to do it that way.

It was an accident that was pretty lame was my opinion getting into the weekend. That is all. Nothing more, nothing less..

I will get it fixed and car will run the same as before... I will close the thread as it has offended so many people in the wrong way.

Sorry.

17. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    I would ask the guy not to run it through the insurance. It will hurt his monthly premium and your resale value on the car. Fix it without using insurance and carfax will never know.

18. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The guy was driving a 1998 Ford Explorer. I do not think he could not use the insurance and pay for it. I feel sorry for the guy. I guess it was my luck that meant to be. I feel terrible that lots of chat members were offended by me posting "Worst Nightmare".

I just meant about the car but that lead different way to other people's feelings.

Again, I did not have any intention to make you guys angry for my mis usage of words.
    Now, I feel worse...

19. Shootfighter65

Shootfighter65 Formula 3

May 13, 2014
    Charleston SC
    Full Name:
    Randy..alluneedtokno
    For the weekend get the paint code buy some touch up paint. Get a fine paint brush and fill the scratch. Put little dots along the scratch. Don't try and paint it with a brush stroke. Dot dot dot until it's filled in When it dries rub it out with compound it will cover it up for the weekend.
    Worst thing you did is call ins company. Now it will show on the carfax. Big deal for a Ferrari

20. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Wow, some people are moody and 'holier than thou' and need to RELAX.

It friggin' sucks and the OP has every right to declare 'worst nightmare'. We're on a Ferrari forum (not FB) and some distracted monkey hit his baby...give him a break and some sympathy. If it happened to you, you'd be distraught too.

OP - you might seriously consider asking the guy to pay whatever he can out of pocket and repairing the damage without filing a claim. At least that way you'll avoid a CarFax report which is the kiss of death for resale. Take plenty of pics and keep the receipts for the respray - be forthright with potential buyers (in the future) - you'll come out ahead. The driver of the ExploDer will probably be better off in the long run too.

21. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando

Don't feel bad about feeling bad for your incident. Rather, interpret the above posters' responses as "your problem isn't as big of a deal as you think it is, consider yourself lucky". I don't think people would/should get offended about you feeling bad for your car, we're all enthusiasts and love and care for our babies. At the end of the day your car will be fixed and in a few days you'll forget about the whole incident. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    Honestly, for that little paint mark, I'd drop the claim and just have a body shop respray it. The depreciated value is going to be worth way more that a quick respray from having the claim at all.

If you want, call your local dealer and ask who they outsource for their body work. Go to that garage as they'll have all the correct paint codes and information on how to fix it, pay cash, and be done with it.

23. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I agree here.

If you're concerned about diminished value, pay for the repair out of pocket and forget about it. A similar thing happened to a friend with his new Aston Martin V12 Vantage. His $4000-5000 fender bender became a $20,000+ hit to resale value. It's been almost a year, the car's not fixed yet and nobody wants to pay the "mystery money". He's trying to work a trade-in on another new car (he only had the car for a couple weeks).

24. Shootfighter65

Shootfighter65 Formula 3

May 13, 2014
    Charleston SC
    Full Name:
    Randy..alluneedtokno
    Amen brother. Solid advise.

25. Shootfighter65

Shootfighter65 Formula 3

May 13, 2014
    Charleston SC
    Full Name: