Do you let friends/ extended family drive your car | FerrariChat

Do you let friends/ extended family drive your car

Discussion in '360/430' started by ICULUKN, May 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    Just a question.... Do you let people not living in your house to drive your car?

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Hell NO.

When people drive cars that aren't theirs they ALWAYS end up breaking it and walking away.

Similar policy with women. That behavior with woman usually results in an STD... ;)

3. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    #3 ICULUKN, May 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2016
    I have had some friends/ house guests jokingly (but serious) ask to take my F430 out for a drive.....

I always tell them about how much the replacement is (since I'm not filing a claim on my insurance because you are a ****ty driver).... They normally stop asking after that... Didn't know if I'm being a jerk because at the end of the day its just 4 wheeled transportation.... or I'm being logical because I saved for 7 years to buy the 4 wheeled transportation and don't want to fix something when they start the sentence with 'Sorry'. LOL

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

yes, all the time, i do have some worries from time to time when as the car is not under my control

5. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    Yep... same here. Love sharing the experience, and seeing the look on their face. Not many people ever get a chance to actually sit in one of these great machines let alone drive it!

6. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I used to let/encourage friends to drive but not anymore. I have one friend that drives it when he visits but that's it.

Most aren't that familiar with a manual shift unit any longer. Therefore, they don't do so well . I don't like the smell of a frying clutch. I will gladly take them for a spirited drive. They enjoy that better anyway. Otherwise they are nervous.

I advised my GF not to let anyone drive hers either. Take them for a ride? Yes.

I encourage strangers to sit in drivers seat and let their friends take a pic all the time.

7. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    My high school nephews used to stop by my house to take out my motorcycles until they crashed one. It was MV Agusta (Eqauivelent to Ferrari in Motorcycle) Then the whole thing stopped. They have never asked for my Porsche or Ferrari but I would not let kids to take it out.

My dearest friends I can trust, I might but no one has asked yet. They could take it out for a local run. They have to be car people, know about the cars and Ferraris especially. I would not mind although I would be in a panic mode the whole time.

8. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Yes, but only those who I trust and in my presence. Other friends have let me drive theirs even before I had my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    yes, if they are close and have experience with high performance cars before. Driving a ferrari is a special experience that not everyone can have and I try to share when possible :)

10. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Used to. Then a certain person took it out, with me in the passenger seat. He drove at 9/10s, like a maniac, including a drift in one turn on a public street. When I asked him about this lack of respect for the machinery he said that "it was made to do that" and that i could afford new tires. I made a mental note to make this the last time. He can earn his own dosh and abuse his own possessions from now on. I am pretty sure he is voting for Sanders.

11. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    Only very close friends and relatives (not all relatives). Make sure that you let them know that replacing a door is around 40k lol.

12. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I had that happen also.

13. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    HAHAHA

Good one.

14. Bdel

Bdel Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Hollis, NH
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I let close friends and relatives drive whenever they ask me. However, I am always in the passenger seat. I never has a request to take the car alone.

15. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm buddy-buddy with a local Pizza Guys takeout. He's been hounding me to drive mine for over a year. I finally gave in on the condition that I get a free large pizza every month for a year in exchange for a one day rental. A great offer considering that renting an F-car nowadays cost about $700-$1,000 per day!

16. rongotti

rongotti Karting

Apr 11, 2015
    North Florida
    [​IMG]

I let my girl drive it the second week I had it. She was super nervous and didn't want to drive it at night but I pushed her to. She liked it, definitely won't be all the time, but every now and then I will. Anyone else will prob be a no for a while, but I can see myself warming up to allowing trusted friends to drive it every now and then.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My metric is - if I lent this person my car and I heard they crashed, would my first question be "Are they OK?" Or, "What did they do to my car?" If it's the former, they can drive it. This limits possible drivers to wife and best friend. Or, my dog if she developed opposable thumbs. 😉 After that, no dice...T

18. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That sounds like a good measure to me, and articulated better than I might have.

19. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Being the anal person that I am, I won't let anyone drive the car other than my my two sons. One is 24 the other is 26. My youngest regularly tracks his WRX at Mid-Ohio so I'm confident in his ability. My oldest doesn't track his car so I instructed him on what to do. He was still really nervous and it showed but he also has respect for the car.

20. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred

+1

Yep, only my son and daughter and they can both handle the 3 pedal comfortably.
    My son drives like a girl and is light footed on the clutch while my daughter is more aggressive.

21. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Yes

It's just a car and i remember meeting people never letting me drive their bmws, mercs, etc...when i was younger and broke. They actually thought because i didnt have one i couldnt handle being behind the wheel of one. Really irked me.

Im happy to show the universe ill never be like that by letting others drive my car however i do have to be with them and they need to be proficient at driving a manual

22. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
  23. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think about 20 people have driven my car with me in the passenger seat. No issues so far except for big smiles.

24. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Ditto. These jerks must be related.

Honestly, I think a lot of people are quite intimidated about driving a Ferrari. Especially one with a gated shifter - it's all really rather a lot to take in. So long as they are completely comfortable (not getting tense/nervous, 2nd guessing themselves about it, etc.) and know their way around a clutch - then I'm probably going to say yes.

I probably had 30-40 people drive my F355 (gated) and Testarossa; most of them women. Different chapter in my life. :) Amazingly, nothing bad ever happened.

25. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    When I had my Dino 308 gt4 I had promised my next door neighbors daughter that when she got her license she could drive it. Well they moved to Temecula when she was maybe 13 and I had forgotten about it. About 3 years later she is knocking on my door asking me if we can take the car out. Again nothing but smiles and she went through the gears like a pro.