F430 Stubborn Roof | FerrariChat

F430 Stubborn Roof

Discussion in '360/430' started by SLR-F430, Jul 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SLR-F430

SLR-F430 Rookie

Jul 10, 2016
    Beverly Hills
    Hello, I am new to the forum and have been lurking here for a while. I just picked up a 2007 Ferrari F430 Spider from a family friend with 9,900 Miles on the clock. Previous owner has installed 2 new fuel pumps and changed the roof top hydraulic cylinder and all the lines associated with it (on 06/16/2017). The car was functioning well until the rood decided to get stock again just as the door was opening.

I took the car to Franco’s European (Franco's European) as they had replaced the hydraulics and the lines. They were puzzled at the situation as nothing would work. They connected the car to SD2 and SD3 system and the entire system was functioning right except the top. There was a fault/error code that would tell the ECU for the convertible top to stop working as it is in a bad position. They tried resetting the car from the master switch and deleting the code with the device.

Once power was back on, everything was fine until we decide to press the roof button and then it would freeze again and beep showing the open top sign on the dash. They took out the back panel and checked all the switches, pump function, lines, connections, and everything else and everything was fine. No air in the lines and plenty of fluid. They fed power manually to the top and it functioned fine the roof closed. Reset the car and once we tried to operate the top, and it would get stock again.

The current diagnosis is faulty roof computer. The mechanics were puzzled as they have not seen a case so severe. They have seen this issue and be resetting the computer, it worked fine or they had to budge it a little.

At this point, I’m looking for feedback/advice on what else you think I should do/test before spending money on a new computer.

Also, I got check engine sign in the drive back home and got a P1536 Code. The car felt a little sluggish before the sign came on.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. SLR-F430

SLR-F430 Rookie

Jul 10, 2016
    Beverly Hills
    Here is an update on the roof situation

Apparently, the previous mechanic damaged the top assembly when he was doing the fuel pump and repairing the rood cylinders. The sensor wasn't reading right and couldn't tell the position of the roof. Moreover, the 2 lines that lift the roof back were weak and worn out. After the sensors was adjusted/reset and the roof lines repaired, the car is functioning right. The repairs were done at F&M Motorsports (http://www.fandmmotorsports.com) .

As for the P1536 Code, the solenoids on the right Cam is going out and needs to be replaced.

Hope this helps anyone else whose having the same issue.

3. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thank you

4. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Did they replace individual lines? My top just failed last night... fluid in the engine compartment... don't know what it is yet but due to the amount of fluid I assume a busted line.

5. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Woah, tough luck and good luck here. Glad they found the original problem. Good luck with the newly discovered leak.